• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Lunch Birch Run Nov. 24th

ken243

Come join fellow OC'ers for some good food, conversation and shopping for new toys:

When: November 24th 2012 11:00am

Who: Anyone!

What: Lunch and shopping.

Where: Tony's Restaurant
8781 Main St
Birch Run, MI 48415
(989) 624-5860
They do not sell alcohol so non-CPL OC'ers are good to go.

We plan to go to the Birch Run Expo center after we eat for their gun show. Also, the Birch Run Outlet mall is across the street. This would be the perfect time to do some Christmas shopping.

NOTE: Loaded firearms are not allowed in the gun show except for LEO. I will be contacting officials to change their minds. I will update if we will be allowed to carry loaded in the show. Worst case our pistols will be required to be unloaded and a zip-tie in the action with ammo checked at the door. Below is a link to the Mi Gun Shows web site. Their rules are on the main page.
http://www.migunshows.com

Look forward to seeing you there. Bring a friend, spouse or colleague along to educate them on OC. Please post a note if you are able to attend. I would like to give the restaurant a close head count a few days prior.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Come join fellow OC'ers for some good food, conversation and shopping for new toys:

When: November 24th 2012 11:00am

Who: Anyone!

What: Lunch and shopping.

Where: Tony's Restaurant
8781 Main St
Birch Run, MI 48415
(989) 624-5860
They do not sell alcohol so non-CPL OC'ers are good to go.

We plan to go to the Birch Run Expo center after we eat for their gun show. Also, the Birch Run Outlet mall is across the street. This would be the perfect time to do some Christmas shopping.

NOTE: Loaded firearms are not allowed in the gun show except for LEO. I will be contacting officials to change their minds. I will update if we will be allowed to carry loaded in the show. Worst case our pistols will be required to be unloaded and a zip-tie in the action with ammo checked at the door. Below is a link to the Mi Gun Shows web site. Their rules are on the main page.
http://www.migunshows.com

Look forward to seeing you there. Bring a friend, spouse or colleague along to educate them on OC. Please post a note if you are able to attend. I would like to give the restaurant a close head count a few days prior.
Good luck on that. I've talked to these people before. They've always told me, the reason is their insurance requires it, and they don't budge on that subject.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
Good luck on that. I've talked to these people before. They've always told me, the reason is their insurance requires it, and they don't budge on that subject.

That is patently false. Other shows manage to do business without trampling human rights; this crew is in it for the almighty dollar.

Resist them, my brothers!

Sorry, someone else will have to sticky. I refuse on moral grounds.

Last edited:

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
That is patently false. Other shows manage to do business without trampling human rights; this crew is in it for the almighty dollar.

Oh, I'm sure they are. Out to make a buck that is. But I'm just telling you, that's gonna be their excuse, real or not.

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator

I'm with you on this, Shadow Bear. Raggs and I had no issues at the Delta Plex while OCing. I'm sure if J&G can allow loaded OC, other shows can too. If every gun owner refused to go until one may actually carry a loaded firearm while attending the show, this policy would be changed immediately.

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I'm with you on this, Shadow Bear. Raggs and I had no issues at the Delta Plex while OCing. I'm sure if J&G can allow loaded OC, other shows can too. If every gun owner refused to go until one may actually carry a loaded firearm while attending the show, this policy would be changed immediately.

Time for a contest- name the gunshow that doesn't allow ANY lawful carry.

Fuddapalooza

Fuddfest 2012

Gun Owners for Obama

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
Sadly, there are people who would buy guns at these shows, and not care that their rights were being trampled on. And there are others, who might object, but would not want to pass up on the deals to be found. Myself, I've not gone to a gun show in years now. Even when I have the money, I don't go, since MIGunshows is usually the one running it, so I know I'm gonna have to disarm, or unload, and I won't do that.

Raggs

I agree, We need to boycott gun shows that don't allow the legal carry of a pistol. How do we expect the antis to come to our way of thinking when a gun show won't?

Shadow Bear

Michigan Moderator
I mourn for those that would hold their hard won rights so cheaply, that they would willingly feed at the trough of their oppressors. For those that would, I leave you with the words of a great patriot, Samuel Adams-

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Or, more to the point-

If you love to save a few dollars at some gun show better than freedom, the falsehood of one man's rules rather than standing up for your human rights, move along to another internet forum more fitting to your cowardice. Go to your oppressors, and save your dollar, and thank them for emasculating you. You are no friend of liberty and freedom; you deserve to live in fear of your government. Farewell, and don't let the door hit you in the ass!

Raggs

I mourn for those that would hold their hard won rights so cheaply, that they would willingly feed at the trough of their oppressors. For those that would, I leave you with the words of a great patriot, Samuel Adams-

If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!

Or, more to the point-

If you love to save a few dollars at some gun show better than freedom, the falsehood of one man's rules rather than standing up for your human rights, move along to another internet forum more fitting to your cowardice. Go to your oppressors, and save your dollar, and thank them for emasculating you. You are no friend of liberty and freedom; you deserve to live in fear of your government. Farewell, and don't let the door hit you in the ass!

+1

ken243

I understand people that do not want to go to a gun show where they have to be disarmed. I don't spend money anywhere I have to be disarmed. But, that does not mean others feel the same. I just thought it would be another reason for people to come out to the lunch. Personally I will probably go walk the outlet mall after the lunch.

Please get back on topic. Good points where raised but this post was for an event.

If some of you are so inclined, feel free to picket the event. Maybe that would change some people's minds. If anyone would like to do that let me know. I would gladly participate.

Michigander

I'll be there if I don't have to work or go to any family reunions.

If I make it, I too would be happy to help picket the gun show.

Last edited:

FreeInAZ

I'll be there if I don't have to work or go to any family reunions.

If I make it, I too would be happy to help picket the gun show.

While I completely understand you guys on this, I urge you to reconsider any protest action(s) at gun shows. Why?

The MI Legislature has already shown that they could give a rats a$$ about your rights in general. If we publicly show them that our community is as fractured as it is, you are inviting them to do even less than they have for us.:eek:

They lump (us) in one bag: NRA, Gun Show Promoters, CCers, Hunters, OCers, etc... We start publicly going after one another (in their eyes) you might as well dump blood in a shark tank, the one you happen to be swimming in already by vertue of living in MI...:uhoh:

Food for thought, or put another way - either attempt to write the menu, or be on it! These Public Servants in Lansing are far from that. You send up smoke signals, don't be upset when they pi$$ them out.:idea:

DanM

If we publicly show them that our community is as fractured as it is . . .
We start publicly going after one another . . .

You see Fudd gun owners or gun businesses as part of the RKBA community or one of us? I don't.

Anyone who will sell you down the river or not allow you to carry the very wares they sell to you is not your friend, your brother, part of your community, or "one of us".

They give aid and comfort to the enemy, if not being the very enemy themselves, and they are legitimate targets in our rules of engagement! Politically, economically, and socially speaking, of course.

We are the sheep-dogs. Wolves in sheep-dog's clothing are still wolves. You seem to not recognize that.

Last edited:

DrTodd

Michigan Moderator
While I completely understand you guys on this, I urge you to reconsider any protest action(s) at gun shows. Why?

The MI Legislature has already shown that they could give a rats a$$ about your rights in general. If we publicly show them that our community is as fractured as it is, you are inviting them to do even less than they have for us.:eek:

They lump (us) in one bag: NRA, Gun Show Promoters, CCers, Hunters, OCers, etc... We start publicly going after one another (in their eyes) you might as well dump blood in a shark tank, the one you happen to be swimming in already by vertue of living in MI...:uhoh:

Food for thought, or put another way - either attempt to write the menu, or be on it! These Public Servants in Lansing are far from that. You send up smoke signals, don't be upset when they pi$$ them out.:idea:

Since some shows allow carry, those that don't are the ones fracturing the community. Although I agree that, in general gun owners should not unnecessarily display division within the ranks, I think the problem is easily solved: allow carry. By not allowing carry, what it shows to antis is that even our "friends" think that allowing citizens to take personal protection in their own hands is dangerous.

FreeInAZ

You see Fudd gun owners or gun businesses as part of the RKBA community or one of us? I don't.

Anyone who will sell you down the river or not allow you to carry the very wares they sell to you is not your friend, your brother, part of your community, or "one of us".

They give aid and comfort to the enemy, if not being the very enemy themselves, and they are legitimate targets in our rules of engagement! Politically, economically, and socially speaking, of course.

We are the sheep-dogs. Wolves in sheep-dog's clothing are still wolves. You seem to not recognize that.

Dan - I thought I was clear that I was speaking as to how the legislature sees the entire gun community, they tend to lump us together in my experience. I understand the frustration. Myself Venator, CrimeDoc, CommanderIceman, Army74 and others were lucky enough to attend a OC picnic in Pontiac the summer of 2010 where a Gun show promoter went out of his way to invite us to OC at his shows. ETA - He does the shows at the VFW near Great Lakes Crossing & the ones at the Taylor Town Trade Center. So yes, the insurance ploy is just that. I do recognize wolves Dan & you & I are not them.

P.S. I am still sore that Master Control won my pistol at the Bowling fund raiser. Hey I did win a fire extinguisher though. :monkey Viva the well armed monkey X9 with glock(s)

Last edited: