• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Question of VA CC Law

Esanders2008

So I have a question about VA's CC laws. It is my understanding that one may CC on their own property or place of business without a CHP. I live on the second story of an apartment building, and when I take my dog outside, I would like to be able to CC. Is the grass between buildings where I let my dog relive himself considered "my property" since I, as a resident of the complex, have a right to use it?

Second Question: I am moving to a new complex next year that has a "back yard." This back yard is not enclosed by a fence, but is accessible to me from my apartment via a back door. Would that area be ok to CC in, and if so, how far from my door would be considered acceptable.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before; the search function on this forum is, as many of us have stated, terrible.

Esanders2008

I have been doing some reading and it appears that this will hinge on the definition of "curtilage".

As a matter of reference, I would like to say that some of my family activities extend to this outside area.
-Walking the dog
-Checking my mail
-greeting my wife as she pulls into our parking space

(and I see that Skid just replied, but I haven't seen it yet so...)

workinhd

I will say it before someone else does. Why not just open carry?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

Esanders2008

I will say it before someone else does. Why not just open carry?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

It is getting cold, and sometimes my puppy has to go out in a hurry. I am concerned about my hoodie covering my holster.

Also, thanks for the bad news Skid, but at least I have an answer. :(

TFred

No cites for this, but just my general understanding of the inherent purpose of the law against carrying a concealed weapon...

The point of the law is to protect other people from being surprised by your ability to suddenly present a weapon from concealment. The exceptions, your own property, apply because it's YOUR property, your rules: any visitors to your property have no right to expect you to not be carrying a concealed weapon. So, if you are in an area that other people have a general right to be, such as common areas of your apartment complex, then the purpose of the law would apply there as well. As seen by the definition of curtilege, generally the places close enough in to your own home as to give you the reasonable exclusion of the general public, aside from those you may personally invite into that area.

Not a professional opinion, just how the parts all fit together in my head.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It is getting cold, and sometimes my puppy has to go out in a hurry. I am concerned about my hoodie covering my holster.

Also, thanks for the bad news Skid, but at least I have an answer. :(

And now for the other shoe!

(No! Seriously! I am kidding.)

We have the "Virginia Tuck" for just such occassions. Grab the hem of your hoodie (are you a gangster of some sort? real men wear sweatshirts, some of which may zip and have a hood) and stick it behind your grips. Practice doing that so you can accomplish the action without jamming your handgun.

And if you have enough time to put on a hoodie before letting your dog out, you have enough time to tuck.

We are here but to serve and to mock.:lol:

stay safe.

Esanders2008

And now for the other shoe!

(No! Seriously! I am kidding.)

We have the "Virginia Tuck" for just such occassions. Grab the hem of your hoodie (are you a gangster of some sort? real men wear sweatshirts, some of which may zip and have a hood) and stick it behind your grips. Practice doing that so you can accomplish the action without jamming your handgun.

And if you have enough time to put on a hoodie before letting your dog out, you have enough time to tuck.

We are here but to serve and to mock.:lol:

stay safe.

That is what i usually do. Never knew it was called the "Virginia Tuck" though. And I suppose that my outer garment could be called a zip up sweatshirt with a hood. :p

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
So I have a question about VA's CC laws. It is my understanding that one may CC on their own property or place of business without a CHP. I live on the second story of an apartment building, and when I take my dog outside, I would like to be able to CC. Is the grass between buildings where I let my dog relive himself considered "my property" since I, as a resident of the complex, have a right to use it?

Second Question: I am moving to a new complex next year that has a "back yard." This back yard is not enclosed by a fence, but is accessible to me from my apartment via a back door. Would that area be ok to CC in, and if so, how far from my door would be considered acceptable.

Please forgive me if this has been discussed before; the search function on this forum is, as many of us have stated, terrible.

Without citing, but speaking from my background in real estate management. The common areas do not belong to you, the are not part of your home/curtilege. You are permitted by your lease to use them in accordance with the rules and regulations.

Same will apply to the new apartment as it does to the existing one - in accordance with lease terms and rules/regulations of each.

user

Accomplished Advocate
Right - the answer to both questions depends entirely on the lease agreement or bylaws & covenants. And it may involve a trip to the office of the clerk of the local circuit court to examine the land records.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Good Info. But it appears to me that he "may" be able to CC around his Apt. Am I wrong?

Likely, probably, should/ought to be able to CC. He "may" be able to OC.

Answer is found in aforementioned lease, rule &reg + attitude of management agent.

BTW - who knows when you CC?

Esanders2008

Likely, probably, should/ought to be able to CC. He "may" be able to OC.

Answer is found in aforementioned lease, rule &reg + attitude of management agent.

BTW - who knows when you CC?

I can oc, because there is nothing in my lease prohibiting it, although my landlord told me "you aren't allowed to have that in here" when I dropped off the rent check. I am moving to a new place in January, and I oc'd the entire time i was touring the place and filling out paperwork. No problems there. My concern with CCing is I don't have my CHP, and if something were to happen, I would not want to be in violation of the law.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I can oc, because there is nothing in my lease prohibiting it, although my landlord told me "you aren't allowed to have that in here" when I dropped off the rent check. I am moving to a new place in January, and I oc'd the entire time i was touring the place and filling out paperwork. No problems there. My concern with CCing is I don't have my CHP, and if something were to happen, I would not want to be in violation of the law.

Exceptionally valid point. Without a doubt you should not CC.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Exceptionally valid point. Without a doubt you should not CC.

Especially on an OC board.:D

I hear Peter Nap is not fond of being poked with sharp sticks. But for now he's still willing to talk with those who have bought indulgences.

stay safe.