Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your open carry experiences and encounters

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

Use this thread to post your open carry experiences and encounters.
    I am not a lawyer and nothing I say should be accepted as legal advice

Congratulations to Oklahomans on being able to Open Carry!

So, how does it fel to be almost free? (Sorry, but I had to rub it in - OC only with a permission slip is a wonderful first step but it should not be the end of the road.)

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Just OCed at Walgreens everything went great.
    Last edited by MM_45; 11-01-2012 at 12:40 AM.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    I stopped at Belle Isle Wal Mart on my way home from Beverly's. Nobody even noticed. I was carrying a K Frame Stainless S&W in a Safariland holster.

Missed the breakfast because I was sick so my first OC was at the OnCue on my way in to work.

Walked right past an LEO that was inside, he didn't even notice. No one said a thing. Got my drink and a doughnut and was on my way.

Greer county

I went to Mangum this morning for breakfast got A few strange looks but no comments.

Just open carried to quick trip nothing happened,had some double takes but that's all. The s.w.a.t. Team didn't even show.

Coweta WalMart for batteries for my voice recorder. A few looks, but not a raised eyebrow in the bunch. Pretty much a non event, except that now I know that they put in self-serve lanes last week.

First Encounter

Went to my bank, Wallgreens, and Arbys for lunch. Only had a single encounter.

My bank has signs posted so I left my firearm in the car while I ran in. Came out and started to get into the car and the following happened:

SG = Security Guard

SG: You on duty today?
    Me: No
    SG: Is that concealed?
    SG: You know you can't carry a firearm inside the bank. We are....
    Me: I didn't carry anything in the bank, I left it in the car.
    SG: Oh, I'm sorry I accosted you. I have had 4 people open carry in here all ready today.

A very pleasant conversation ensued and ended up with me giving him some OKOCA brochures. Turns out the security guards have asked the bank to remove the signs to no avail.

Famous Footwear next to the Target in Broken Arrow - the manager was helping me for several minutes before he noticed. His comments were very supportive and positive.
    Lunch with the crowd at Trails End BBQ in Owasso, a few looks from some of the others, and a mailman that wasn't thrilled, but otherwise a great experience. Also the BBQ was good enough that I will make the trip back sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post

My bank has signs posted so I left my firearm in the car while I ran in. Came out and started to get into the car and the following happened:

SG = Security Guard

SG: You on duty today?
    SG: Is that concealed?
    SG: You know you can't carry a firearm inside the bank. We are....
    Me: I didn't carry anything in the bank, I left it in the car.
    SG: Oh, I'm sorry I accosted you. I have had 4 people open carry in here all ready today.

A very pleasant conversation ensued and ended up with me giving him some OKOCA brochures. Turns out the security guards have asked the bank to remove the signs to no avail.
    That's funny. He actually said "accosted?" Most security folks I know wouldn't know what the word means.
    Last edited by C-dub; 11-01-2012 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by C-dub View Post
    That's funny. He actually said "accosted?" Most security folks I know wouldn't know what the word means.
    He is former LEO that appreciates the act of citizen backup if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by hrdware View Post

Time to change banks.

Del City/Midwest City

Del City: Walmart, Radio Shack good to go. Cash Express, no go.
    Midwest City: Golden Corral, Office Depot, Best Buy, Dicks Sporting Goods (just opened) good to go.
    First National Bank of Midwest City, no go (No gun signs have been up forever.)
    Little Axe: Country Boy Grocery Store, good to go.

Please list these on http://friendorfoe.us so they are readily available for all.

I carried in Bancfirst and Dollar General just had 1 weird look by a teller in Bancfirst.

Stopped by Crest Foods in Moore on the way home. Took a little extra time to talk to a manager and tell them I appreciated the company reversing its position earlier in the year. After I told her, she glanced down and eyes got a little big when she say the Ruger P-90 I was carrying.

Then went to Circle K for a couple of drinks. On the say out I noticed a small sign posted beside the other door. No one said anything to me though.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

Broke my open carry virginity at Panera bread tonight in owasso. Got asked if I was a cop. Got some looks from the girls sitting next to the door but other than that it wasn't bad. Hopefully the nervousness will go away pretty soon.

My family and a friends family (also OCing) with wives and kids ate dinner at Texas Roadhouse, then shopping at Walmart in Lawton. Other than maybe a few looks no issues. We thought maybe one guy was calling the police at dinner. If so they never showed and if not then maybe just asking a friend but was focused onto us. Other than that nothing happened. We shall see tomorrow...

Congrats guys!!
    If guns cause crime, all mine are defective- Ted Nugent

Open carry lunch at Trails End in Owasso then stopped at QT on the way home.
    Got a couple of looks from one of the QT clerks, but thats it.

Walmart at 81st and Lewis, Tulsa

Went in and did some shopping and used the photo kiosk and talked to an associate about the pictures. Saw him and his buddy peeking around the corner at me talking and laughing making jokes I guess. Paid at register and left without any problems, some second glances though.

I open carried my Glock 17 in a serpa holster at Wal-Mart in Ada lastnight. Nobody noticed except my brother in law that I ran into.

I carried in La Fiesta a mexican restaurant and i also went into Chisholm Corner convience store now that they decided to take down there gun buster signs today that they posted on all there stores a couple days ago.

Right on y'all. Wished I was around to have had the chance myself to OC. It's nothing new to me living in other states but OK is my home now. Come on January when I return from deployment and am able to for myself again. Will continue to keep tabs on y'all reports till then.

Page 1 of 36 12311 ... LastLast