• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

BikerGuy57

That's true, but it wasn't meant to do that. I did drop off a copy of this article the other day at a local convenience store, and the wife who is sorta anti-gun carrying in her store, woke up to reality and took her sign down!! So now I go there. I'm gonna change her status on the gun buster maps to green....

Good material there, although it doesn't address the benefits of OC.

OldCurlyWolf

Went to Red Robin, on 71st, for dinner the other day. It was just before sunset, so the sun was low and directly in my eyes as I walked to the door. Person coming out and moving in my direction, so I smiled, nodded, said Hello. All I could make our was a scowl on his face, no response, and what appeared to be a 1911 magazine at his 9 o'clock position. Don't know why he appeared to be having such a bad day. Anyway, a few bug eyes inside.
Yesterday at my Dr.'s office, had a brief discussion with a young man, and the office staff about OC, CC, and what the laws says. Staff very supportive of OC, young man had 2 years to go before he could get the permit. Later in the day, took the family to River Parks and rode several miles. Great day to be outside.

Are you aware that Red Robin has a corporate policy against ANY carry inside their stores?

I am surprised that you were not told to either leave your firearm elsewhere or leave.

:cool:

okiephlyer

Are you aware that Red Robin has a corporate policy against ANY carry inside their stores?

I am surprised that you were not told to either leave your firearm elsewhere or leave.

:cool:

I didn't know that they have a policy against guns. The store is not posted and I have OC'd there on numerous occasions and never been challenged. I have also OC'd numerous times at a Red Robin in Virginia and had a very nice discussion with one of the wait staff. He was very pro carry. Talked about different guns and carry methods.

OldCurlyWolf

I didn't know that they have a policy against guns. The store is not posted and I have OC'd there on numerous occasions and never been challenged. I have also OC'd numerous times at a Red Robin in Virginia and had a very nice discussion with one of the wait staff. He was very pro carry. Talked about different guns and carry methods.

I had been in more than one Red Robin in Oklahoma and Texas before I learned of their policy. None of them had been posted. But it has been enforced at stores as reported by others.:cool:

callee11

Got my lic. a few days ago.. been in autozone, Aldi's, Braum's, and DG... no probs at all I don't think anyone really even noticed

websterz

Kudos to the Ponca City Police Department. I had them swing by and check on the vacant house next door, I thought I saw a light in the basement. Everything was locked up tight so I guess I was just imagining things. Both officers were very polite and neither asked for my carry permit even though I was open carrying and announced it to them when they got here. One thing I can say about Ponca City, they are very respectful of our 2A rights here. I have never had anything but polite and professional encounters with the police and county guys.

Rusty Young Man

Got my lic. a few days ago.. been in autozone, Aldi's, Braum's, and DG... no probs at all I don't think anyone really even noticed

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona, callee11!:)
Some people need a comical degree of contrast to see a full-size sidearm. I've gone an entire afternoon lunch without anyone seeing the stainless 1911 on my hip until the last minute.
The importance of awareness cannot be stressed enough, yet most people could care less.:(

Last edited:

Glock 1st fan

Its interesting alot of discussion on open carry has since quieted down but none the less the stories coming out still are awesome. I am seeing an increase once again of potential students wanting to become certified and am proud to live in a state that supports that right.

Keep carrying and be responsible!

callee11

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona, callee11!:)
Some people need a comical degree of contrast to see a full-size sidearm. I've gone an entire afternoon lunch without anyone seeing the stainless 1911 on my hip until the last minute.
The importance of awareness cannot be stressed enough, yet most people could care less.:(

Thank you Sir, Yeah I have been carrying everywhere and haven't seen too many people notice. I was leaving walmart today was OCing my XD 40 there were two Yukon cops standing outside one did a double take but that was all.

Robert318

I took my wife and daughter to the Del Rancho in Moore on Main last week and though no one said anything to me there were a lot of eyeballs, from quick glances to a stare and even the kitchen staff came out almost one at a time to get a look. I think a few were talking about it but didn't say anything to me. So another one for the non event list.

I cant always open carry because of work but do open carry when I can and always carry a voice recorder, but I have had mostly positive encounters with others and only a few negative comments.

Last edited:

TulsaDan

Went to Senior Salsa in Coweta yesterday. Not even googly eyes. Absolutely professional and courteous.

Dan Hunt
The way of the fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. Proverbs 12:15

glock22oc

Went to Mangum on Saturday for the yearly Rattlesnake Derby flea market. Lots of people there. I saw 2 other folks open carrying as well. Walked around for several hours with nothing more than a couple of looks. Good day for OC :)

Jordan6679

I have had no negative experiences since receiving my card in october. However my new neighbors don't seem too fond of my OC. Stank eye is strong with them.

Jordan6679

I was pulled over on my dualsport, no big deal. But had a chance to talk with a broken arrow officer.
[video=youtube;XIw23YrD5Cw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIw23YrD5Cw&feature=share&list=UUb60EKMGEDXBwoNcZ_0iw1Q[/video]

Last edited:

nscshwn08

Open carried today at the Kolache Festival here in Prague....no problems at all, police from several agencies there and the only thing that was said was an state trooper complimented on my retention holster. Great day!

hrdware

This morning as I am preparing to leave the Y (yes I know they have signs posted so don't go all, "why give money to some place that doesn't support our rights" on me), another person sees my holster and asks if I CC a 9mm. My reply was, "Nope, a .45. And I generally open carry." Had a brief discussion about carrying at work. He told me he carries a Beretta Nano 9 in his pocket. I told him my full size 45 was a bit big for pocket carry. Had a laugh and went on with my day.

BikerGuy57

I do home repairs and remodeling. I'm working on a vacant house in Moore and 3 doors down, another contractor is working on the outside of his customer's house doing siding. He has a helper from New Yawk. You know those people. Real jacka**es with an attitude. Well, yesterday, he decided to park in front of the house I was working at even tho there is plenty of room to park where he's working with his boss... These houses have no driveways and he knew I was working there and that's where I park. I asked him to please move his car because it's inconvenient for me to have to walk out of my way and extra 50 feet round trip between my truck and the house I was working on. Well, he would have none of it. He mouthed off at me, it's a free country, he'll park where he damn pleases, etc.... So I figured, ok buster. Wait till tomorrow.....

I went back on the job this morning. He was parked again in front of the house I'm working on. But today was different. I had both my big 9mm Taurus on my side holster, AND my Beretta Nano partially tucked in my waistband. I walked over there and I said, hey buddy. I asked you yesterday politely to please move your vehicle up here in front of the place you're working and you pissed me off. I don't think you want to piss me off today so why don't you do us both a favor and move that piece of junk you have before it becomes scrap for the junk yard.....

He says...... OK!! HOLD ON!! I'll move it right away. Don't get pissed. I'll do it right now!!

LOL. That made my day...... I'll bet he won't park in my spot again! New Yawkahs. Sometimes the man with the bigger attitude wins.... :banana::banana::banana:

Rusty Young Man

SNIP....I asked him to please move his car because it's inconvenient for me to have to walk out of my way and extra 50 feet round trip between my truck and the house I was working on. Well, he would have none of it. He mouthed off at me, it's a free country, he'll park where he damn pleases, etc.... So I figured, ok buster. Wait till tomorrow.....

I went back on the job this morning. He was parked again in front of the house I'm working on. But today was different. I had both my big 9mm Taurus on my side holster, AND my Beretta Nano partially tucked in my waistband. I walked over there and I said, hey buddy. I asked you yesterday politely to please move your vehicle up here in front of the place you're working and you pissed me off. I don't think you want to piss me off today so why don't you do us both a favor and move that piece of junk you have before it becomes scrap for the junk yard.....

He says...... OK!! HOLD ON!! I'll move it right away. Don't get pissed. I'll do it right now!!

LOL. That made my day...... I'll bet he won't park in my spot again! New Yawkahs. Sometimes the man with the bigger attitude wins.... :banana::banana::banana:

Tread lightly. Your actions and demeanor WHILE CARRYING could be played up in court as a threat.:uhoh:

You also forget to consider his whiny attitude combined with the attitude of a few cops.:uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Not Recommended

I do home repairs and remodeling. I'm working on a vacant house in Moore and 3 doors down, another contractor is working on the outside of his customer's house doing siding. He has a helper from New Yawk. You know those people. Real jacka**es with an attitude. Well, yesterday, he decided to park in front of the house I was working at even tho there is plenty of room to park where he's working with his boss... These houses have no driveways and he knew I was working there and that's where I park. I asked him to please move his car because it's inconvenient for me to have to walk out of my way and extra 50 feet round trip between my truck and the house I was working on. Well, he would have none of it. He mouthed off at me, it's a free country, he'll park where he damn pleases, etc.... So I figured, ok buster. Wait till tomorrow.....

Glad you got him to move his vehicle - me I'd have talked to his boss w/o the show of force or the home owner.

I don't think you will find much (if any) support for the way you handled it. Definitely will not recommend.

Sometimes the man with the bigger attitude loses - play silly games, win silly prizes.

ddillman

First Time OC

Ok. I have replied on here before and have stated that I always CC. Until today, I have 100% CC'ed. But this morning when I left the house I forgot my jacket. Since it was going to be close to 80 degrees I figured I might as well OC and see how it goes. Well, I went to several different places today (IN TULSA) and everything went pretty well. Here is a rundown on where I was and how things went:

Went to:
Good Guy's Pawn and Gun 4257 Southwest Blvd - No response at all to OC.

Tulsa County Pawn 5107 S. 33rd Ave - There was a sign on the door that all guns were to be unloaded when entering store. So, I just left it in the truck.

Gray's Pawn 2940 W. Skelly Dr. - No response at all to OC. Guy who worked there was very polite. Good conversation.

Diamond Jim's Pawn 3333 S. Harvard - There was a sign that NO WEAPONS were to be on premises. And, yes this place had handguns, rifles, shotguns for sale.

PetSmart 41st St & Yale - Got a couple of "surprised" looks from young employees when I walked in but nothing was said from anyone in the store. Talked to someone about tick/flea stuff for dog and never anything said about OC.

Academy 41st St between Yale/Sheridan - Lots of people noticed my OC but none seemed to care at all.

Walmart - 66th & Memorial - Same as PetSmart. Young people gave looks but nothing ever said.

Tulsa Firearms 5949 S Garnett Rd - Obviously, very Pro 2A, good conversation.

Once a Pawn a Time 3184 S Mingo Rd - Nothing said.

Green Country Gun and Pawn 9075 E 31st St - Nothing said. Good conversation.

All in all, no one ever really said anything, questioned anything, nor asked me about it at all. I really thought it was funny how the younger generation gave some surprised looks where the older generation wasn't bothered one bit by seeing someone carrying a gun on their hip. Oh and by the way, it was noticeable. I carried my Glock 22 Gen3 .40 today.

Last edited: