• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

okiephlyer

It's been a while, but mainly the same old places. Lowes - ran across a guy in the hardware section that said he was glad someone had his back. He had forgotten his carry gun. Delta Cafe at 41st and Garnett after church yesterday - lots of looks but no troubles. BA farmers market Saturday morning with the wife and girls - again, lots of looks but no troubles. We go to the Pizza Hut at 71st and county line most Tuesdays for the buffet, kids under 12 eat free with a paid adult - met another dad there with his girl - he CC's, but is very supportive of OC - again, lots of looks but no troubles.

Kebler414

OCed my 1911 into Braums in Henryetta again the other day. (Done so several times).
There was a Tulsa County Sherriff in store... no biggie.

Did my shopping in the grocery part of the store, and got to check out. Lady saw my handgun and asked if I was a deputy sherriff or police officer. Said No Ma'am, I have my carry license and OK is an open carry state. She was fine with that and proceeded to ask what kind of handgun it was. Told her it was a Springfield 1911-45. She smiled and we continued to talk. When I paid with my debit card, she said that the deal usually doesnt work right but it did this time and my gun must have scared it. Said, I dont mean to scare anyone or thing, just want to protect myself and my daughter (who was with me). She smiled again, I told her to Have a good day, and that was it.

okiephlyer

Was in Akins Food, 51st and Memorial, yesterday with my daughter. There was a Tulsa Police officer that passed by. She looked, nodded, and moved on. Several employees and customers also noticed, but no comments.
Again at the BA Lowes, a regular stop of mine, Steak and Shake, Pizza Hut, all had no issues at all.

JHART

I had a strange encounter at QT. I went in to get a cup of coffee. When I got to the counter to pay, the attendant shouted out " He's got a gun!" He also threw his hands up in the air as if I was robbing him. In the moment, I was totally caught off guard. I was absolutely not expecting that. I tried to keep it humorous and replied with " so does that make my coffee free? I might be a cop you know" Very smartly with attitude he said " No it isn't free, and you are not a cop because if you are, you would have a badge on." I said" That's correct, I'm just a regular guy." He then said "and you have a weapon!" as he was shaking his head. I said " and yes it is totally legal .. Have a nice day." as I was leaving.

I just don't know what to make of his shouting out like that. It was like he intended to cause attention to me. It has me intrigued enough that next time I see this person, I will ask him why he did that.

Glock 1st fan

When teaching class today we decided to do take a group lunch and went to Mazzios for lunch. When we were there some crazy lady saw the instructors O.C. and yelled across the room (With a phone against her ear) that she was leaving because there were F****** open carriers in the restraunt. I was nice though and as she passed by looking telling her she was welcome to take a class with us.

She was a funny sight though as she walked out and stopping people walking in to tell them there were people with guns inside and yet everyone laughed at her went in and enjoyed a meal.

Its times like this I love to teach and am thankful for that position. Not only did I teach the class the laws of Open/Concealed carry but I also taught the restaurant how to spot a nutcase right off the bat!

Elm Creek Smith

Just got back from Reasor's in Owasso where a gentleman wearing a "Vietnam Veteran" t-shirt walked past open-carrying a 1911. I nodded. He nodded. We went our separate ways. In the car I asked my wife if she'd seen the guy open-carrying. Nope.

So much for her "You'll just draw attention to yourself" objection to open-carry.

websterz

I was putting my groceries in the truck at the Ponca City Walmart when a woman with 5 kids walked past and said "There he is, you can ask him yourself." The oldest boy, maybe seven years old, asked me if I was a policeman. I said "Nope, I'm just a regular guy." To which he replied "A regular guy with a gun." Mom laughed and told him that regular people can carry guns and it's okay. Good job mom! :)

websterz

I had a strange encounter at QT. I went in to get a cup of coffee. When I got to the counter to pay, the attendant shouted out " He's got a gun!" He also threw his hands up in the air as if I was robbing him...

There's nothing at all funny about that. It's crap like this that can get one legal carrier shot by another one! You need to report this guy to the store manager for starters and then the district manager if necessary. The attendant that pulled that stunt needs to be dealt with before he gets someone killed!

SFCRetired

There's nothing at all funny about that. It's crap like this that can get one legal carrier shot by another one! You need to report this guy to the store manager for starters and then the district manager if necessary. The attendant that pulled that stunt needs to be dealt with before he gets someone killed!

That is, to say the very least, scary. Absolutely report him to his manager and/or district manager.

Rusty Young Man

I had a strange encounter at QT. I went in to get a cup of coffee. When I got to the counter to pay, the attendant shouted out " He's got a gun!" He also threw his hands up in the air as if I was robbing him. SNIP...

Shot by a cop is more likely, and if news reports are any indication of their skill level, a few bystanders will be hit as well.

JHART, contact the manager about this guy before he gets someone killed by trying to be funny.
As a matter of fact, you and I can both contact the manager of an establishment. The last OC lunch in AZ had a similar occurrence which I'd forgotten to follow up on.

JHART

Shot by a cop is more likely, and if news reports are any indication of their skill level, a few bystanders will be hit as well.

JHART, contact the manager about this guy before he gets someone killed by trying to be funny.
As a matter of fact, you and I can both contact the manager of an establishment. The last OC lunch in AZ had a similar occurrence which I'd forgotten to follow up on.

I will go to that QT and talk to a manager about it. It happened at the 11th and Utica QT in Tulsa. I realize now after reading your responses that the incident could of turned very ugly very fast. The young man definitely needs to be reprimanded

Jayne&Vera

report the idiot

I had a strange encounter at QT. I went in to get a cup of coffee. When I got to the counter to pay, the attendant shouted out " He's got a gun!"

Holy Cow! that guy is an idiot and a menace to good public order in general. Classic case of yelling "Fire!". I have been in and out of a dozen QTs in town OC both in and out of uniform and never seen someone act so stupidly. Definitely find that store's exact address (google maps will generally show you the store number as well), and report that the (ie: skinny) guy on duty at @X time did...

kinggabby

Few weeks ago I was at my favorite C-Store in OKC ( On Cue) . While standing there a man says what are you going to do shoot up the place. I replied that's not funny. Why do you have a gun for ? He asked. I said for self defense . Then he started to get loud. The shift manager told him to calm down or he would have to leave. He persisted and screamed I have a right to know why he has a F*****g gun to which I calmly told him no you don't. She then told him to leave. He then decided to poke his head back in the store and screamed in a very loud voice. I have a f*****G right to why he has a gun . Needless to say she called the police on him. Sadly he had scared several people in the process. I just hope my calm demeanor helped.

Glock 1st fan

Few weeks ago I was at my favorite C-Store in OKC ( On Cue) . While standing there a man says what are you going to do shoot up the place. I replied that's not funny. Why do you have a gun for ? He asked. I said for self defense . Then he started to get loud. The shift manager told him to calm down or he would have to leave. He persisted and screamed I have a right to know why he has a F*****g gun to which I calmly told him no you don't. She then told him to leave. He then decided to poke his head back in the store and screamed in a very loud voice. I have a f*****G right to why he has a gun . Needless to say she called the police on him. Sadly he had scared several people in the process. I just hope my calm demeanor helped.

Should have plead the 5th LOL

Last edited:

Kebler414

Could have told the guy saying he has a 'right' to know why you have a gun that you also have the "RIGHT" to carry a gun!!

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Could have told the guy saying he has a 'right' to know why you have a gun that you also have the "RIGHT" to carry a gun!!
Disagree that he has a right to know why one has a gun.

Is he going to frisk everyone to see if they are CCing?

Glock 1st fan

I will go to that QT and talk to a manager about it. It happened at the 11th and Utica QT in Tulsa. I realize now after reading your responses that the incident could of turned very ugly very fast. The young man definitely needs to be reprimanded

Nothing to do with your story but that Quick trip has become the symbol of what the perfect dump is. When you go there the homeless have all but taken over the store begging, the bus stop has a guy selling dope, if you stop in late at night its not uncommon for Hookers to stop you in the lot.

The pumps are always full so you cant never get in and get out, the staff is rude as all get out too. I hate that store with a passion. Ive told quiktrip about it but they never really gave a flip.

TulsaDan

Finishing up on dinner at My Place Barbecue, no looks, not even a glance. At the one on Gibson.