• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

JoeSparky

Centurion
to me if I see a person carrying a gun i would like to think he gas some knowledge of the law and how to use it. if no checks are done how do you lnow if the guy is not a criminal?

The same way you know that an illegal immigrant with no papers is driving a car. When they are breaking the law, the police stop them and investigate. They do not have the authority to just pull someone over just to make sure they are legally driving the vehicle. Nor do they have the authority to stop someone who is carrying a gun, just because of the gun, that is a legal activity. And should not be a reason to be investigated. You must be doing something wrong or be suspected of a crime at least before they can stop and question you.

You may have a little quoting error above (first paragraph)..... Are these YOUR words or the words of another?

TulsaDan

The words of tausch. I didn't do that right. Not my words in the first paragraph, my answer in the second.

JoeSparky

Centurion
The words of tausch. I didn't do that right. Not my words in the first paragraph, my answer in the second.

I guess the next query is this:

Since You and tausch have a very limited number of posts and both have self-located in Oklahoma per your location statements--- is it possible you are both using the same computer? Or asked in a more pointed manner---two accounts one person?

wimwag

to me if I see a person carrying a gun i would like to think he gas some knowledge of the law and how to use it. if no checks are done how do you lnow if the guy is not a criminal?

The same way you know that an illegal immigrant with no papers is driving a car. When they are breaking the law, the police stop them and investigate. They do not have the authority to just pull someone over just to make sure they are legally driving the vehicle. Nor do they have the authority to stop someone who is carrying a gun, just because of the gun, that is a legal activity. And should not be a reason to be investigated. You must be doing something wrong or be suspected of a crime at least before they can stop and question you.

Knowledge gained from my interactions with other OCers tells me that most are proficient with their weapons, know the laws and are very honest and trustworthy people.

How do I know that the person pushing a stroller with a fussy baby isn't a kidnapper? I don't. If I notice things like he/she's shaking the baby or a woman is screaming "help! She took my baby!" then I do.

Do you also assume all dogs are vicious? Angry dogs way their tails sometimes too.

Bullbuster

Been awhile since I was last on here. Been an uneventful carry experience throughout OK.
While carrying at the Chef store off I-240 in OKC had a guy tell me nice 1911 and to carry on.
At Home Depot on Sooner/ 15th had a LEO stop me and tell me I was the first OCer he had seen and to carry on smartly.

I've been going to Jimmy's eggs on 15th/ Air Depot with a neighbor, he also carries, and this morning we saw a gun buster sign on the top of the door. Being regulars we were like WTH especially since we see other people carry.
Talked to management about it and they said it's always been on the door but they do not enforce it and will not ask you to leave unless you become disruptive. I suggested they take it down then and she, manager, said she would bring it up to the owner.

hrdware

This proves my point. Criminals won't do the paperwork or submit to the background check before they carry a firearm. Criminals want to hide their gun until the moment they intend to use it because they want the element of surprise (sound familiar).

I guess criminals could want to hide their gun in plain sight, but that would require them to buy a holster and most of the time criminals don't do that.

How are you going to know if the guy carrying a concealed firearm is licensed or not? Oh wait...you won't know they are carrying so it doesn't matter, right?

TulsaDan

I tried to reply to tausch and I think I have confused others more than I intended to. Sorry all. I edited the post hoping to clear up up any misconceptions or wrongful intentions.
The criminals do not carry guns openly tausch, you also said if checks are not done how do you know if he is or is not a criminal. My answer was simple, if an officer sees a man or woman carrying a pistol he shouldn't check them based on that activity, that is not criminal behavior. He doesn't know and will never know until that person does something worthy of a check. We didn't throw out our 4th amendment right just to enjoy the 2nd. Each are equally important. I understand that if an officer asks for my ID while openly carrying I am required to show it. I am just saying they should not based on the gun. That isn't illegal. Most officers will not. I have never been asked, and have spoken with many officers while openly carrying in shops and supermarkets. The basic response is nice to see it.

Glock 1st fan

Well people can play this card on more then just firearms when it comes to the what ifs too. For example cars kill a lot of people because of DUIs. Does it mean we should fear everyone who drives to the store and buys a case of beer. As we watch them go to the car we scream for our lives because he may get drunk and kill everyone? Owning a car is not illegal nor is buying beer over 21.

Having a firearm is something that a criminal possibly could carry openly. Note I am saying possibly because I have not seen it to date. Does it mean one will? The history of criminals suggest the majority of criminals simply do not want to get caught so most will carry concealed.

People use the "A criminal may open carry" well a person may get struck by lightning too. A person may be walking across a bridge when it just collapses. A person may get swept away in a freak mud slide. Everything in life has a maybe but it doesn't mean that its likely.

Last edited:

djdavis75

We've been buying new living room furniture which has involved 3 or 4 trips to a furniture store in Broken Bow. I've open carried there twice. On my last trip to pick up some furniture I ordered, I had to stand around and wait as all of the representatives were busy helping a bunch of customers. One of the representatives said quite loudly that I should take out my gun and fire off a few rounds and that would make them get to me faster. I replied It sounds like a good way to go to jail for a long time. He was laughing when he said it, but the fact he said it so loudly in front of all the reps and customers bothered me. I didn't appreciate him calling attention to me, my gun, or his suggestion.

JoeSparky

Centurion
We've been buying new living room furniture which has involved 3 or 4 trips to a furniture store in Broken Bow. I've open carried there twice. On my last trip to pick up some furniture I ordered, I had to stand around and wait as all of the representatives were busy helping a bunch of customers. One of the representatives said quite loudly that I should take out my gun and fire off a few rounds and that would make them get to me faster. I replied It sounds like a good way to go to jail for a long time. He was laughing when he said it, but the fact he said it so loudly in front of all the reps and customers bothered me. I didn't appreciate him calling attention to me, my gun, or his suggestion.
What are you going to do about it?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

What are you going to do about it?

A - Return all of the furniture and demand your money back. Never set foot in their store again.

B - Do nothing and let others suffer the consequences.

C - Politely go up the food chain and explain your objection, ask that the employee be retrained. Remember to thank them for their service, tell them how much you like the furniture, and that you will be likely to recommend them to others.

Bullbuster

I hate when that kinda things happens. Never had it happen quite like that too me but have had comments made the really PMO.

OFF TOPIC BUT SIMILAR TO THIS POST..
Wife and I won a $1,000 gift card to Mathis Brothers Furniture in OKC (I-40/44). The doors are plastered with gun buster signs. Wife and I went in last night (left it in the truck). We were swarmed by the commission vampires as soon as we walked in. We had an older lady help us. This is how our ordeal went
While we went to look at couches she asked "how we were doing"?
I said "I'd be doing better if those signs weren't on the front door".
She said "that was for everyone's safety and guns are dangerous".
I said "only in the hands of an idiot with the intent on causing harm".
To which she replied "that would be all gun owners".
I said "WHAT"!!!!
She replied "only an idiot needs to carry a gun".
My wife and I looked at each other and I told her "we are proud gun owners, I take offense to that, you just lost your commission, I want another associate who isn't and idiot and I want to talk to manager".
She said "ok" and walked off.
I spoke to the GM who is gun friendly. He said he would take care of her and assured us we wouldn't have to deal with her again. He personally showed us around and we had a good time. Our new couch comes Friday.

Elm Creek Smith

I spoke to the GM who is gun friendly. He said he would take care of her and assured us we wouldn't have to deal with her again. He personally showed us around and we had a good time. Our new couch comes Friday.

Yeah, but did the signs come down? I went shopping for a new mattress and box springs for my grandson at Snow's in Tulsa. No gunbuster signs. I carried the whole time we were in the store, and no one said anything about it.

I don't spend my money places where they don't want me.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I was in retail sales for several years. Naturally, I don't know the policies at this particular store, but every place I ever worked as a salesman or as a manager, a customer "belongs" to the original sales representative. If a manager has to take over (TO) a deal, the commission still goes to the original sales rep. The only way that would not apply was if the customer left the store and did not request the original sales rep. when they returned. I know that you were a captive in this situation, since you had won a gift certificate and there was little you could do, but I suspect that woman got her commission, no matter what the manager said. I have "fired" salesmen on the spot to appease customers. They just went into the back room and hung out until I finished the sale. After the customer was gone, everything was back to normal and the salesman got his commission. I was on salary. I "fired" one guy about six times and he was still working there when I left.
Retail theatrics - designed to make the customer happy, as a happy customer will part with their money much easier.

Bullbuster

I have no idea if this gal was fired or not and frankly I could care less at this point. If it wasn't for the fact I had that gift card to spend I'd never have gone in. I don't intend to go back either. She was out of line for sure and I was happy to have the GM assist us. We got a new couch and as they say "happy wife, happy life".

The point of my original quote and my experience is at some point in time we are going to have a run in with someone who feels way left of you or me. How WE handle ourselves can have as much an impact as on the situation as much as that persons rant or loud comment.

These kinda of situations I play over and over into head on how I could or should have handled a situation. We deal with these situation in my Criminal Procedures and Police Tactics class.

kinggabby

Let me first start off by saying I hate stupidity. I was at my local On Cue hanging out last night as usual. In walks this security guard that is a regular. He was not in his usual uniform but in a pair of slacks and black tee-shirt. I noticed he was carrying a different firearm than he usually does. Let me tell you before I continue he was open carrying and he had it in a leather holster with no retention. I ask him what are you carrying tonight ( we have discussed firearms before with only positive results ) ? He says it's a 9mm ( he is carrying a Glock ) . So I ask what model is it? Is it a Glock 26? He says I am not sure and then proceeds to pull it from his holster and turned it back and for to see the model number on the slide. Then says yes it is a 26. I was speechless. I literally could not speak. Shortly after he left a city officer came in. I told him I wish he was here just a short time earlier and he asked why. I then told him what I have just told everyone else here. Of course he agreed with me that he was truly stupid. He then followed up by saying that he would not be surprised if they get an accidental shooting call. As upset as I was about him upholstering his weapon in public in the manner he did. I am grateful that no other people saw it. We have a battle on our hands as it is with people who think gun owners are dangerous without this idiot doing what he did.

Glock 1st fan

Let me first start off by saying I hate stupidity. I was at my local On Cue hanging out last night as usual. In walks this security guard that is a regular. He was not in his usual uniform but in a pair of slacks and black tee-shirt. I noticed he was carrying a different firearm than he usually does. Let me tell you before I continue he was open carrying and he had it in a leather holster with no retention. I ask him what are you carrying tonight ( we have discussed firearms before with only positive results ) ? He says it's a 9mm ( he is carrying a Glock ) . So I ask what model is it? Is it a Glock 26? He says I am not sure and then proceeds to pull it from his holster and turned it back and for to see the model number on the slide. Then says yes it is a 26. I was speechless. I literally could not speak. Shortly after he left a city officer came in. I told him I wish he was here just a short time earlier and he asked why. I then told him what I have just told everyone else here. Of course he agreed with me that he was truly stupid. He then followed up by saying that he would not be surprised if they get an accidental shooting call. As upset as I was about him upholstering his weapon in public in the manner he did. I am grateful that no other people saw it. We have a battle on our hands as it is with people who think gun owners are dangerous without this idiot doing what he did.

So very true. Its important people keep up with the laws as I have found so many people who do not have the correct information and they simply do not accept what the law is. Its truly sad so many people are not safe with firearms and when. They do boneheaded things like pull guns out or carry into a probibited place (yes I know only an example as im aware oncue isnt a prohibited place) it not only hurts their image but puts us all in a bad light