• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

websterz

I took my wife to JW Cobb's in Ponca City for lunch today. It's a nice little family restaurant with awesome food. We saw two guys, not together, open carrying. That made three of us in a room that seats maybe 70 people. Not a big deal in some places but it is the highest concentration of OC I have seen so far.

websterz

I sat down on a bench at Walmart tonight to do a little people watching and struck up some small talk with the other guy sitting there. He told me to keep my eyes open for a guy carrying a gun in the store, "no badge or anything." I stood up and turned strong side to him so he could see my pistol. I smiled and told him "Yeah, that's Steve, he's a friend of mine." I spent the next 10 minutes educating him on open carry by licensed private citizens but he left convinced we were trouble. Can't win them all. Steve will likely chime in as he is a member here too. That's how he and I met.

TulsaDan

We are at IHOP on 71st St right now. Got a few weird looks but no problems at all from anyone. Packed out tonight though.

Dan Hunt
The way of the fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. Proverbs 12:15

ddillman

Funny how people react.

A few nights ago, a convenient store (named Betty's Country Store (?)) between Sperry, Skiatook, and Skiatook Lake was "swarmed" with police. I am guessing it was County and Highway patrol. They went to see if everything and everybody was okay and the people working there said,"Sure, just fine. What's the problem?" I guess someone "made a call" into law enforcement that a man was going into the store with a gun. I guess they were figuring it was an armed robbery. That was the rumor floating around.

Now, I am just speculating here.....But, I am thinking some moron who does not know/understand the handgun law made this call. Maybe they have been living under a rock for the last few years. Anyway, I am guessing they saw a man going in and had a gun strapped to his hip and they assumed he was of criminal nature. I know these days we have to be aware of those criminals lurking among us, but some people need to understand the law and learn that the law has changed. Anyway, thought this was somewhat funny. Just because a man/woman has a gun on their hip doesn't mean they're up to no good. Usually, and correct me if I am wrong, the ones that OC are the good guys!! And I know there are some that still CC (which is me), but if you're OCing, you best be on good behavior. Haha.

I usually conceal my handgun, but when moving around the bottom half will show from under my pullover/coat. Which I'm ok with, but I usually just like to keep mine out of sight.

Last edited:

papa bear

A few nights ago, a convenient store (named Betty's Country Store (?)) between Sperry, Skiatook, and Skiatook Lake was "swarmed" with police. I am guessing it was County and Highway patrol. They went to see if everything and everybody was okay and the people working there said,"Sure, just fine. What's the problem?" I guess someone "made a call" into law enforcement that a man was going into the store with a gun. I guess they were figuring it was an armed robbery. That was the rumor floating around.

Now, I am just speculating here.....But, I am thinking some moron who does not know/understand the handgun law made this call. Maybe they have been living under a rock for the last few years. Anyway, I am guessing they saw a man going in and had a gun strapped to his hip and they assumed he was of criminal nature. I know these days we have to be aware of those criminals lurking among us, but some people need to understand the law and learn that the law has changed. Anyway, thought this was somewhat funny. Just because a man/woman has a gun on their hip doesn't mean they're up to no good. Usually, and correct me if I am wrong, the ones that OC are the good guys!! And I know there are some that still CC (which is me), but if you're OCing, you best be on good behavior. Haha.

I usually conceal my handgun, but when moving around the bottom half will show from under my pullover/coat. Which I'm ok with, but I usually just like to keep mine out of sight.

really not a matter of the moron that called in, after all dumb sheeple will do what dumb sheeple will do. the real problem was the dispatcher that didn't ask the questions, like, what is the man doing that is illegal., or even just threatening. that was the real Moron, and too the cops also for over reacting

djdavis75

The Oaks Steak House - Broken Bow, OK

Went to The Oaks Steak House in Broken Bow last Saturday to eat dinner with my wife and brother. Open carried, but I did have a jacket on which partially covered my gun. No gun buster signs, and if anyone noticed, nothing was said.

TulsaDan

Walked into a Kum and Go in Coweta to buy some antacids. Wagoner County Deputy was there. Not a word was said. I could tell everyone in the store noticed my Kimber Custom 2 on my side, especially the Deputy. Nothing said and I went about my way. Great encounter with Wagoner County. A non encounter.

Dan Hunt
The way of the fool is right in his own eyes: but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise. Proverbs 12:15

websterz

Walked into a Kum and Go in Coweta to buy some antacids. Wagoner County Deputy was there. Not a word was said. I could tell everyone in the store noticed my Kimber Custom 2 on my side, especially the Deputy. Nothing said and I went about my way. Great encounter with Wagoner County. A non encounter.

Dan Hunt

That's the way it ought to be. :cool:

okiephlyer

Been a while ...

Over the Christmas break,
Took the family to Dave and Busters on 169 - had lunch and played games for about an hour, no one acted like they even noticed.
Dinner a couple of times at No. 1 Kitchen on Elm Pl. south of 91st in BA - again, don't think anyone even noticed.
Oklahoma Joe's BBQ near Bass Pro - couple of smiles

Gary S

I go into number one all the time. They never even act like they notice.

OKOCA Board Member
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jc79

OCing for about 7 months, overall positive

I have been OCing for about 7 months now. The responses I get from the general public has been about 98% positive. To be honest, most people I walk past probably don't even notice the gun, or if they do, probably assume I am a cop (cause carry a revolver, I guess). The only people that have stopped to talk to me are folks from out of state, mostly because they are curious. I do my best to be polite, answer their questions and make sure they understand that what I am doing is allowed by law and I am not a threat. I also use it as a chance to educate people that permit holders are no different from people like them.

As for in-state residents, I get mostly smiles. I think they see me out with daughter and know that I am not a threat.

The reason I open carry is that it is more comfortable and safer than having a gun stuffed in my pocket. I typically wear dockers or jeans with my shirt tucked in and I hate the feel of a gun digging into my leg or wearing out my pockets.

JC

DamnYankeeOk

First Timer

I open carried for the first time today. Wal-Mart, Home Depot, the car wash, and Dairy Queen. I saw one person get wide eyed in Wal-Mart. Outside of that if anyone noticed they ignored it.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I open carried for the first time today. Wal-Mart, Home Depot, the car wash, and Dairy Queen. I saw one person get wide eyed in Wal-Mart. Outside of that if anyone noticed they ignored it.
Welcome to the world of better-to-have-than-not, no extra charge for wide eyes :)

hrdware

First negative experience

So it finally happened...had a negative experience while open carry last night. Went to Lowes to look for some small carabiners. As I'm walking past the the cash registers, an employee waiting to ring people out says, in a loud voice, "Is that a gun, sir?". I smiled and said, "Yes it is." as I kept walking. Now as I am walking away from him, he says louder, "We don't allow guns in our store sir.". Since I know that the Lowes policy is to follow state law, I just kept walking to try and find what I was looking for while expecting someone to come chase me down. No one did.

While looking for the carabiners I thought about just leaving and assuming the guy was just being an ass, but the more I thought about it, the more I decided against it. So before I left, I went to the customer service desk and asked to speak to a manager. Over the phone the manager asks the customer service person what it involves, so I tell them an employee yelled at me and told me I couldn't carry a firearm in the store.

Manager comes out and I introduced myself. I told him that I was aware of Lowes policy to follow state law and that I had carried a firearm in that store previously. I then told him what happened, and said I should have addressed it then, but I wanted to find what I was looking for. He assured me that the employee in question was "a nice guy". I said that he probably was, but he was wrong about the policy and he was, in my opinion, rather loud about it. I told the manager I didn't carry a firearm to draw attention to myself and that most people didn't even notice. Being a Wednesday night, there weren't many people in the store, but if it had happened on a Saturday, the front of the store could have been full of people and that would have brought attention to me that I didn't want. The manager mentioned that it could have created a situation that no one would have wanted, to which I had to agree. In the end, the manager said he would talk to the employee about his actions.

The Dove

"The manager mentioned that it could have created a situation that no one would have wanted, to which I had to agree. In the end, the manager said he would talk to the employee about his actions. "

Sounds like he was a good manager and handled your comments very professionally. I like the way you handled it too.

The Dove

okiephlyer

Went to Red Robin, on 71st, for dinner the other day. It was just before sunset, so the sun was low and directly in my eyes as I walked to the door. Person coming out and moving in my direction, so I smiled, nodded, said Hello. All I could make our was a scowl on his face, no response, and what appeared to be a 1911 magazine at his 9 o'clock position. Don't know why he appeared to be having such a bad day. Anyway, a few bug eyes inside.
Yesterday at my Dr.'s office, had a brief discussion with a young man, and the office staff about OC, CC, and what the laws says. Staff very supportive of OC, young man had 2 years to go before he could get the permit. Later in the day, took the family to River Parks and rode several miles. Great day to be outside.

BikerGuy57

Have you heard of Randy Cassingham? He lives in Colorado and he writes an ezine called This Is True. It's a good ezine. In his ezine, he talks about guns and why he is against the No Guns signs.... He's pro gun.... It's a great read. I am bringing this up because I'm printing it out to hand out to stores where they have a gun buster sign.

This is the link....

http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-why_people_die_in_gun_free_zones.html

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Have you heard of Randy Cassingham? He lives in Colorado and he writes an ezine called This Is True. It's a good ezine. In his ezine, he talks about guns and why he is against the No Guns signs.... He's pro gun.... It's a great read. I am bringing this up because I'm printing it out to hand out to stores where they have a gun buster sign.

This is the link....

http://www.thisistrue.com/blog-why_people_die_in_gun_free_zones.html

Good material there, although it doesn't address the benefits of OC.