• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Post your open carry experiences and encounters

djdavis75

A - Return all of the furniture and demand your money back. Never set foot in their store again.

B - Do nothing and let others suffer the consequences.

C - Politely go up the food chain and explain your objection, ask that the employee be retrained. Remember to thank them for their service, tell them how much you like the furniture, and that you will be likely to recommend them to others.

I'm happy with the furniture, prices, and overall service I received. I'm also glad the stress of selecting, hauling, and unloading all of it is over. So I'm not taking it back. :lol:

I'll probably do nothing because in the rural area where I live my options are limited, the store isn't posted and except for one employees bad joke, they seemed gun friendly or neutral. So if I raise hell they might even post the place to avoid future conflicts. That said, I probably wouldn't deal with the funny man if I ever went back there, and would voice my objections to management if he made any more comments.

djdavis75

I hate when that kinda things happens. Never had it happen quite like that too me but have had comments made the really PMO.

OFF TOPIC BUT SIMILAR TO THIS POST..
Wife and I won a $1,000 gift card to Mathis Brothers Furniture in OKC (I-40/44). The doors are plastered with gun buster signs. Wife and I went in last night (left it in the truck). We were swarmed by the commission vampires as soon as we walked in. We had an older lady help us. This is how our ordeal went
While we went to look at couches she asked "how we were doing"?
I said "I'd be doing better if those signs weren't on the front door".
She said "that was for everyone's safety and guns are dangerous".
I said "only in the hands of an idiot with the intent on causing harm".
To which she replied "that would be all gun owners".
I said "WHAT"!!!!
She replied "only an idiot needs to carry a gun".
My wife and I looked at each other and I told her "we are proud gun owners, I take offense to that, you just lost your commission, I want another associate who isn't and idiot and I want to talk to manager".
She said "ok" and walked off.
I spoke to the GM who is gun friendly. He said he would take care of her and assured us we wouldn't have to deal with her again. He personally showed us around and we had a good time. Our new couch comes Friday.

I hope you didn't spend anymore than the gift card amount there, she was way out of line.

Bullbuster

No we didn't. In fact we still had a few $$ left on the gift card but not worth the gas to drive accross town to spend. I've got me a nice new couch that I can't seem to sit on for more than 5 minutes without falling asleep. Wife is happy so I'm happy.

On a side note..
To the hot cougar in the red mustang convertible sporting the snub nose wheel gun on the left hip at Oncue at Sooner/29th today, it's nice to see a lady OC.

tausch

I guess the next query is this:

Since You and tausch have a very limited number of posts and both have self-located in Oklahoma per your location statements--- is it possible you are both using the same computer? Or asked in a more pointed manner---two accounts one person?

definitely not the same person.

Gee never thought i get this much response to a thought. I do both, open carry and concealed, depends on what holster i am wearing. and where i am going

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
definitely not the same person.

Gee never thought i get this much response to a thought. I do both, open carry and concealed, depends on what holster i am wearing. and where i am going
OC, CC, or noC are all fine and good here - no reason for anyone to be critical of what is a personal choice.

The concern (small) is that we do get a few people who are not what they seem and attempt to lead us astray.

wimwag

On a side note..

To the hot cougar in the red mustang convertible sporting the snub nose wheel gun on the left hip at Oncue at Sooner/29th today, it's nice to see a lady OC.

Now that's not fair! How do you know she's a cougar and not just a ****?

Bullbuster

Now that's not fair! How do you know she's a cougar and not just a ****?

I'm no spring chicken at 36 but she was late 50's at least. Nice silver silk blouse, black tight fitting slacks. Certainly not the kind one wears granny skivvies with.

Yesterday 8/29 my wife and I went to the Garage burgers & beer (sooner & 40 in a new stip outlet). Food was great and the service was A+. I was OCing my compact Kimber 1911. Little did we know that the place would fill with LEO's from around the state who had been at the service for the fallen OKC K-9. Some 15 units in the parking lot and 20+ officers inside. No gun buster sign on the door obviously and probably the safest place in town for lunch. No one said a word about my OC and I didn't even notice any officers looking.

hrdware

Stopped at the grocery store around 6:45 on the way to work this morning to grab some breakfast. As I'm getting out of my car, a lady comes across the parking lot to ask if I can give her car a jump as the battery was dead. I said sure and moved my car over by hers. Popped the hood, hooked up the jumper cables and got her car started. Took about 10 - 15 minuets as I have some corrosion around my positive battery terminal and had to fiddle to get a good connection.

She never said a word about my open carry so she either didn't care or didn't notice.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Stopped at the grocery store around 6:45 on the way to work this morning to grab some breakfast. As I'm getting out of my car, a lady comes across the parking lot to ask if I can give her car a jump as the battery was dead. I said sure and moved my car over by hers. Popped the hood, hooked up the jumper cables and got her car started. Took about 10 - 15 minuets as I have some corrosion around my positive battery terminal and had to fiddle to get a good connection.

She never said a word about my open carry so she either didn't care or didn't notice.
Good job spreading the word and showing people that we are the good guys......hope she didn't think you were a LEO.

hrdware

Good job spreading the word and showing people that we are the good guys......hope she didn't think you were a LEO.

Initially, definitely not as she was crossing the parking lot before I even had the car door open. After the fact, probably not...tennis shoes, blue jeans, polo shirt with company logo and a ball cap with a 2A slogan on it.

Glock 1st fan

Initially, definitely not as she was crossing the parking lot before I even had the car door open. After the fact, probably not...tennis shoes, blue jeans, polo shirt with company logo and a ball cap with a 2A slogan on it.

Truly I have found presentation is one of the biggest determining factors over all as to how a person will be treated. Now I am not advocating anything here but only presenting an observation but if a person is wearing presentable attire most people simply shrug it off. But when a person really slouches on their appearance I think that more then anything deters people.

When I was teaching an advanced class we went to a local restaurant and the staff enjoyed us. Their was a crazy lady who literally ran back to the food area screaming for a manager and she was leaving because open carriers were there. She then ran outside and started flagging down patrons pulling in to the lot and yelling something but we were inside laughing.

As the patrons (None were deterred) came in they were telling management that the lady needed a shrink.

Overall I dont O.C. much (If you exclude being in uniform) simply because with the amount of work I do I am simply always in uniform but none the less the few times I get too are unique.

Last edited:

okiephlyer

Just a small list of places I've OC'd this summer.
Lowes BA, Atwoods BA and Claremore, Josh's Sno Shacks 71st and Garnett, 61st and 91st and Memorial, (OK, they are in parking lots, still had no negative comments), NAPA BA, NAPA Coweta, Steak N Shake BA and Memorial, Senior Tequila BA, WalMarts all over, a kitchen ware store at 91st and Harvard, Best Buy off 169, PetsMarts, Staples, Sun N Ski, The Trek Store, bike shop in downtown BA, Academy in BA and OKC....
There have been quite a few positives and only one negative (reported earlier). All in all, non events all around.

djdavis75

I had a few interesting open carry experiences today, but before I get to that, I have open carried at two new places since my last post. CJ's in Octavia, OK, no gunbuster signs, no one said anything...and Mountain Country in Smithville, OK, no gunbuster sign and no one said anything. Just FYI for anyone who might be down in this area.

I sell and install satellite TV/Internet systems for a living. It's muzzleloading season, and I typically go up to my brother's camp to setup his satellite dish so he has TV at deer camp. I wasn't planning on working today, but I had a customer call who came up to the area for hunting season. So I got ready with my Glock knife and gun openly carried on my belt. I went by the customers camp before my brothers, and when I got there I told him I was carrying my gun and was going to remove it and leave it in the truck while I worked. He said carry it, that he had no problem with it. So I fixed his satellite while toting a Glock 10mm on my hip. This led to some talk about guns and him bringing out his really beautiful Ruger Vaquero .357 Mag. So overall a great experience, not that I plan to regularly carry on jobs.

After my first job, and getting my brother's satellite setup, I headed back off the mountain and stopped by a store before heading home. When I was checking out, one of the guys behind the counter asked if I had served in the military, I had BDU pants and a boonie hat on. Then he asked if that was a .45 I was carrying, and I said it was a 10mm. Anyway, we had a short but polite conversation about guns, carry, etc...overall good day.

okiephlyer

Yesterday, went to the dentist. Time for the family to get our cleaning and check up. When I was finished, I went to another station in back where my daughter was having a tooth pulled. (baby tooth that just would not let go). Then walked to another station where the wife was finishing up her cleaning. Talked to the Dentist and several of the techs for a few minutes. As I turned around to head to the check out counter, the dentist asked me to stop and turn around. I did. He has that google eye look and said, "you're really carrying!" We talked about it for a few minutes. He asked about it making me a target. I explained a little about the criminal mind, easy targets, and history. All in all, a good encounter. He was not against it, just surprised by it. None of the other ladies in the office had a problem with it either.

hrdware

Yesterday, went to the dentist. Time for the family to get our cleaning and check up. When I was finished, I went to another station in back where my daughter was having a tooth pulled. (baby tooth that just would not let go). Then walked to another station where the wife was finishing up her cleaning. Talked to the Dentist and several of the techs for a few minutes. As I turned around to head to the check out counter, the dentist asked me to stop and turn around. I did. He has that google eye look and said, "you're really carrying!" We talked about it for a few minutes. He asked about it making me a target. I explained a little about the criminal mind, easy targets, and history. All in all, a good encounter. He was not against it, just surprised by it. None of the other ladies in the office had a problem with it either.

Luckily for me, my dentist is a gun guy. Never had a problem carrying in his office, after the initial surprise and conversation the first time I did it, no one has said a thing about it. We usually end up talking about guns at some point during my visits.

Robert318

My wife and I went out looking for a place locally in Choctaw to eat this weekend and thought about trying the new boomerang restaurant, but as we were pulling in to park we seen the infamous no weapons allowed sign. :banghead: It baffles my mind how business owners and management genuinely believe that a no weapons sign (banning lawful citizens) will stop a criminal from entering without their weapon and that that sign will help keep them or their patrons safe.

I have also seen numerous places that are work related also have signs posted, like Witton Supply, Oklahoma air gas, Ferguson bath and body works, Grainger, and some others I can't think of at the moment.

image.jpg

Last edited:

hrdware

On Saturday I was in Hobby Lobby looking for some craft projects for my daughter's upcoming birthday party when low and behold I saw it.....a guy with a holstered handgun shopping with his wife. I guess I was the only person to have the common sense to look for people carrying guns in public because no one in the store was panicking, running around screaming about this man, or calling in the SWAT team. I guess I was the only one who cared about it (was glad I saw someone else OC)

After we left, I asked my wife if she had seen the guy with the open carry, her reply was, "No, I was to busy looking for things for our daughter's birthday party". Just proves the point that generally, unless you are looking for it (and most people aren't) you won't even notice.

okiephlyer

About a year ago I was in the Hobby Lobby in Tulsa on 71st. Had a blue windbreaker on and was OC'ing my G23 in a Serpa. Anyway, as I was standing inside the entrance waiting on the wife, a gentleman approaches and asks me where the restrooms are. Guess he thought I was security. I pointed him in the right direction and all was well. Amazing what people don't see when it is right in front of them.

The Dove

I was at Academy in OKC this afternoon (240/Walker????) and some guy was in the ammunition section of the store open carrying what looked to me like a 1911...... Don't know for sure but I know for sure that he had it jammed down his belt about at the 5 o-clock position. No holster/no retention/ just stuck into his belt....... Anyone could have walked up near him and pulled his piece. We don't need that kind of OC. JMHO

The Dove

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I was at Academy in OKC this afternoon (240/Walker????) and some guy was in the ammunition section of the store open carrying what looked to me like a 1911...... Don't know for sure but I know for sure that he had it jammed down his belt about at the 5 o-clock position. No holster/no retention/ just stuck into his belt....... Anyone could have walked up near him and pulled his piece. We don't need that kind of OC. JMHO

The Dove
While many (most?) recommend a good retention holster, there is no one size fits all rule. I have been known to carry a model 60 Mexican (Barami Hip-Grip) at about the 1:30 position. I don't recommend trying to be the first to relieve me of that revolver.