Thread: Winchester silever tips

Winchester silever tips

I was just wondering how effective winchester silver tip hollowpoints where compared to modern desighned hollowpoints.

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by robert1970 View Post
    I was just wondering how effective winchester silver tip hollowpoints where compared to modern desighned hollowpoints.
    I wonder why you wonder about "modern" designs of bullets?

Winchester Silver Tip Ammo IS modern ammo!

They feed in anything, they expand reliably in anything, they retain their weight!
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    I wonder why you wonder about "modern" designs of bullets?

Winchester Silver Tip Ammo IS modern ammo!

They feed in anything, they expand reliably in anything, they retain their weight!
    Silver tips were issued ammo by many departments for years, very good ammo.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I used a factory loaded 225-grain Winchester Silvertip from my Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt to take a deer at 105 yards. It dropped dead in less than 20 feet, shot through the boiler room. I'm a believer that there's nothing wrong with a Silvertip, regardless of what is more "modern" or has better advertising.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

i was just wondering,I have been thinking about carring them in my 1911.

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    I used a factory loaded 225-grain Winchester Silvertip from my Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt to take a deer at 105 yards. It dropped dead in less than 20 feet, shot through the boiler room. I'm a believer that there's nothing wrong with a Silvertip, regardless of what is more "modern" or has better advertising.
    I love the old 45 colt,if you have a strong gun like the Ruger Black hawk,and you reload,you can do some amazing things with the old 45.

i was just wondering,I have been thinking about carring them in my 1911.
    I am not sure I would buy them now, considering that I reload. They were a lead bullet with a aluminum jacket, which is good. From what I have heard they now use a copper jacket plated with nickel. Considering nickel is tougher than steel, not sure I would want to use it allot through my barrel.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

The only factory load to face a Werewolf with!

I love the old 45 colt,if you have a strong gun like the Ruger Black hawk,and you reload,you can do some amazing things with the old 45.
    Yep, my Vaquero is the original Blackhawk-sized gun, not the newer Cowboy/Colt one. I've got some bear loads that push a 255-gr hard-cast semi-wadcutter at some very respectable velocities. I've also made a few 300-gr Hornady XTP loads, but haven't figured out what to shoot them at yet!

But for medium-velocity stuff out of .45 ACP and .45 Colt, I still love the old Winchester Silvertip, especially in a revolver when you can see the shiny silver tips in the cylinder.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    ... From what I have heard they now use a copper jacket plated with nickel. Considering nickel is tougher than steel, not sure I would want to use it allot through my barrel.
    Say it ain't so!

I'm trying to find out for sure, now, and they don't even make it in any .45 bullets for reloading anymore, neither!

http://www.winchester.com/Products/c...low-point.aspx

And they don't show a listing for it on the handgun ammunition page.
    Last edited by MAC702; 11-07-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Silvertips are old technology. Their new technology bullets that stack up very well against all the other new fangled bonded core competition is the HST bullet.
    We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.

Thomas Jefferson

If one needs more expensive new-fangled bonded bullets, yes. The vast majority of us don't, but the market will be decided by the results of the advertising executives.

If one needs more expensive new-fangled bonded bullets, yes. The vast majority of us don't, but the market will be decided by the results of the advertising executives.
    I only use bullets that are blessed by a priest, Rabbi, and Islamic Holy man if I can find one. If not I sprinkle them with Holy water...
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

I wasn't advocating their use, just answering the question posed. Personally I use bullets I cast myself. I can control the alloy and expansion characteristics perfectly to the velocity levels I'm loading.
    We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate.

Thomas Jefferson

I use them in my 25-06 for groundhogs and coyotes and they work great.