• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Winchester silever tips

robert1970

I was just wondering how effective winchester silver tip hollowpoints where compared to modern desighned hollowpoints.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I used a factory loaded 225-grain Winchester Silvertip from my Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt to take a deer at 105 yards. It dropped dead in less than 20 feet, shot through the boiler room. I'm a believer that there's nothing wrong with a Silvertip, regardless of what is more "modern" or has better advertising.

robert1970

I used a factory loaded 225-grain Winchester Silvertip from my Ruger Vaquero .45 Colt to take a deer at 105 yards. It dropped dead in less than 20 feet, shot through the boiler room. I'm a believer that there's nothing wrong with a Silvertip, regardless of what is more "modern" or has better advertising.

I love the old 45 colt,if you have a strong gun like the Ruger Black hawk,and you reload,you can do some amazing things with the old 45.

WalkingWolf

i was just wondering,I have been thinking about carring them in my 1911.

I am not sure I would buy them now, considering that I reload. They were a lead bullet with a aluminum jacket, which is good. From what I have heard they now use a copper jacket plated with nickel. Considering nickel is tougher than steel, not sure I would want to use it allot through my barrel.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I love the old 45 colt,if you have a strong gun like the Ruger Black hawk,and you reload,you can do some amazing things with the old 45.

Yep, my Vaquero is the original Blackhawk-sized gun, not the newer Cowboy/Colt one. I've got some bear loads that push a 255-gr hard-cast semi-wadcutter at some very respectable velocities. I've also made a few 300-gr Hornady XTP loads, but haven't figured out what to shoot them at yet!

But for medium-velocity stuff out of .45 ACP and .45 Colt, I still love the old Winchester Silvertip, especially in a revolver when you can see the shiny silver tips in the cylinder.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
... From what I have heard they now use a copper jacket plated with nickel. Considering nickel is tougher than steel, not sure I would want to use it allot through my barrel.

Say it ain't so!

I'm trying to find out for sure, now, and they don't even make it in any .45 bullets for reloading anymore, neither!

http://www.winchester.com/Products/...ire-handgun/Pages/silvertip-hollow-point.aspx

And they don't show a listing for it on the handgun ammunition page.

Last edited:

moonie

Silvertips are old technology. Their new technology bullets that stack up very well against all the other new fangled bonded core competition is the HST bullet.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
If one needs more expensive new-fangled bonded bullets, yes. The vast majority of us don't, but the market will be decided by the results of the advertising executives.

WalkingWolf

If one needs more expensive new-fangled bonded bullets, yes. The vast majority of us don't, but the market will be decided by the results of the advertising executives.

I only use bullets that are blessed by a priest, Rabbi, and Islamic Holy man if I can find one. If not I sprinkle them with Holy water...:uhoh:

moonie

I wasn't advocating their use, just answering the question posed. Personally I use bullets I cast myself. I can control the alloy and expansion characteristics perfectly to the velocity levels I'm loading.