Thread: Good luck Everyone!

Good luck Everyone!

It appears Open Carry has been legal for 2 hours already in Oklahoma and it's 10 minutes to midnight at my computer near Seattle Washington where OC has been legal with no permit since the territorial days.

I hope everyone is able to safely enjoy their new OC rights and that the local constabulary respects your OC rights wherever you go.
    I can't wait to read all the stories on the OK forum.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    It appears Open Carry has been legal for 2 hours already in Oklahoma and it's 10 minutes to midnight at my computer near Seattle Washington where OC has been legal with no permit since the territorial days.

I hope everyone is able to safely enjoy their new OC rights and that the local constabulary respects your OC rights wherever you go.
    I can't wait to read all the stories on the OK forum.
    "constabulary"...I think you and me are the only 2 people in the world to use that word. The last time I saw or heard that was over 13 years ago, travelling through a small town in western Oklahoma. I had to explain it to many in our convoy, they thought I made it up.
    Last edited by okiephlyer; 11-01-2012 at 11:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by oklaccer View Post
    "constabulary"...I think you and me are the only 2 people in the world to use that word. The last time I saw or heard that was over 13 years ago, travelling through a small town in western Oklahoma. I had to explain it to many in our convoy, they thought I made it up.
    Yeah I get strange looks from my non-gun owners friends when I use that word, most people who own guns seem to know the word "constabulary" at least that I know
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by saiga12boy View Post
    The best thing about Oklahoma passing open carry is that it's one of the 4 states that the federal government prevented from allowing open carry
    (The others being Arkansas,Texas and South Carolina) it's a great push forward for open carry movements in Arkansas,Texas, and South Carolina.
    Please elaborate. I've been following carry issues for 20+ years and this is the first I've heard of this. I am VERY interested.

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Most open carry bans (gun bans in general) in the south came from reconstruction after the Civil War. I think that's what he's referring to. We have fixed some of them, but still have a ways to go.

Quote Originally Posted by okiebryan View Post
    Most open carry bans (gun bans in general) in the south came from reconstruction after the Civil War. I think that's what he's referring to. We have fixed some of them, but still have a ways to go.
    Correct. Laws that banned carrying weapons in the late 19th and early 20th centuries were typically covert Jim Crow laws. They were worded to apply to everyone, but only enforced against blacks. Often they were enacted as a response to black political activism when blacks would commonly attend rallies and demonstrations armed for protection from white mobs. In a 1941 Florida Supreme Court case (Watson v Stone) concerning these kinds of carry bans, a justice wrote "The Act was passed for the purpose of disarming African American laborers. [It] was never intended to be applied to the white population and in practice has never been so applied."

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
    Quote Originally Posted by ethansisson View Post
    Correct. Laws that banned carrying weapons in the late 19th and early 20th centuries were typically covert Jim Crow laws. They were worded to apply to everyone, but only enforced against blacks. Often they were enacted as a response to black political activism when blacks would commonly attend rallies and demonstrations armed for protection from white mobs. In a 1941 Florida Supreme Court case (Watson v Stone) concerning these kinds of carry bans, a justice wrote "The Act was passed for the purpose of disarming African American laborers. [It] was never intended to be applied to the white population and in practice has never been so applied."
    Great post. Welcome to the forum! I hope you will be a regular contributor.

Quote Originally Posted by okiebryan View Post
    Great post. Welcome to the forum! I hope you will be a regular contributor.
    Thanks for the welcome, Bryan!