• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Good luck Everyone!

EMNofSeattle

It appears Open Carry has been legal for 2 hours already in Oklahoma and it's 10 minutes to midnight at my computer near Seattle Washington where OC has been legal with no permit since the territorial days.

I hope everyone is able to safely enjoy their new OC rights and that the local constabulary respects your OC rights wherever you go.
I can't wait to read all the stories on the OK forum.

okiephlyer

It appears Open Carry has been legal for 2 hours already in Oklahoma and it's 10 minutes to midnight at my computer near Seattle Washington where OC has been legal with no permit since the territorial days.

I hope everyone is able to safely enjoy their new OC rights and that the local constabulary respects your OC rights wherever you go.
I can't wait to read all the stories on the OK forum.

"constabulary"...I think you and me are the only 2 people in the world to use that word. The last time I saw or heard that was over 13 years ago, travelling through a small town in western Oklahoma. I had to explain it to many in our convoy, they thought I made it up.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

"constabulary"...I think you and me are the only 2 people in the world to use that word. The last time I saw or heard that was over 13 years ago, travelling through a small town in western Oklahoma. I had to explain it to many in our convoy, they thought I made it up.

Yeah I get strange looks from my non-gun owners friends when I use that word, most people who own guns seem to know the word "constabulary" at least that I know

saiga12boy

The best thing about Oklahoma passing open carry is that it's one of the 4 states that the federal government prevented from allowing open carry
(The others being Arkansas,Texas and South Carolina) it's a great push forward for open carry movements in Arkansas,Texas, and South Carolina.

rpyne

The best thing about Oklahoma passing open carry is that it's one of the 4 states that the federal government prevented from allowing open carry
(The others being Arkansas,Texas and South Carolina) it's a great push forward for open carry movements in Arkansas,Texas, and South Carolina.

Please elaborate. I've been following carry issues for 20+ years and this is the first I've heard of this. I am VERY interested.

saiga12boy

Please elaborate. I've been following carry issues for 20+ years and this is the first I've heard of this. I am VERY interested.

I think I was mistaken about the federal government banning open carry but open carry has been banned since back then largely due to racism. A lot
of white people didin't want black people owning firearms and especially didin't want them carrying them around and was obviously fear-based. Also some people didin't want foreigners owning guns either and maybe they restricted carrying for this purpose also. It might have aldo just been plain paranoia of guns
like we have today. Though i'm not sure exactly what the federal government's involvement was in the ban on carrying firearms i did think it played a vital
role. I'm sorry for accidentally misleading you.

ethansisson

Most open carry bans (gun bans in general) in the south came from reconstruction after the Civil War. I think that's what he's referring to. We have fixed some of them, but still have a ways to go.

Correct. Laws that banned carrying weapons in the late 19th and early 20th centuries were typically covert Jim Crow laws. They were worded to apply to everyone, but only enforced against blacks. Often they were enacted as a response to black political activism when blacks would commonly attend rallies and demonstrations armed for protection from white mobs. In a 1941 Florida Supreme Court case (Watson v Stone) concerning these kinds of carry bans, a justice wrote "The Act was passed for the purpose of disarming negro laborers. … [It] was never intended to be applied to the white population and in practice has never been so applied."

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
Correct. Laws that banned carrying weapons in the late 19th and early 20th centuries were typically covert Jim Crow laws. They were worded to apply to everyone, but only enforced against blacks. Often they were enacted as a response to black political activism when blacks would commonly attend rallies and demonstrations armed for protection from white mobs. In a 1941 Florida Supreme Court case (Watson v Stone) concerning these kinds of carry bans, a justice wrote "The Act was passed for the purpose of disarming African American laborers. … [It] was never intended to be applied to the white population and in practice has never been so applied."

Great post. Welcome to the forum! I hope you will be a regular contributor.