• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Need help...

MP_4_Life

Hey everyone,

So, I have a presentation due Friday, for my COM 101 class. I'm doing a informative speech on OC (figure I'd kill two birds with one stone). So I get to the part that I want to inform people about the laws in our area. I'm trying to focus on preventative laws (i.e. in federal buildings). So took another look at our tri-fold (which I plan to print a few off for handouts), and I remembered a long time ago, a friend told me that it's illegal to OC in a car in NLV. So I spent hours trying to find that 1 damn law, to no avail. Now I'm here trying to find out if anyone knows what the code is for that law or if the friend was blowing smoke? I'd really appreciate any help in this matter. Other wise i'm just gonna focus on NRS 202.265, 218.542, and 202.360; however, if you guys think a specific law that affects us OCing is more important than one of those 3. Thanks for your time to read this and any feedback.

MP4LIFE

usmcmustang

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=16023

9.32.080 - Deadly weapon prohibited in vehicle—Exceptions.
hyperlink.png

It is unlawful for any person to have in his possession in any automobile, truck, motorcycle, or any other type of vehicle any dangerous or deadly weapon, but this restriction shall not be deemed to prohibit the carrying of ordinary tools or equipment carried in good faith for uses of honest work, trade or business, or for the purpose of legitimate sport or recreation.

9.32.040 - Dangerous or deadly weapon defined.
hyperlink.png

The term "dangerous or deadly weapons" includes, but is not limited to, any dirk or dagger; any knife with a blade three inches or more in length, and any snap-blade or spring-blade knife, regardless of the length of the blade; any ice pick or similar sharp stabbing tool; any straight edge razor or any razor blade fitted to a handle; any dangerous or deadly weapon within the meaning of any law of this state restricting the use thereof; and any cutting, stabbing, or bludgeoning weapon or device capable of inflicting grievous bodily harm; and any firearm other than (a) one carried pursuant to a valid permit, issued by a duly authorized government authority, or (b) an ordinary rifle or shotgun lawfully carried for purposes of hunting or other lawful sport.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I don't know the number, but I've seen the exact wording here somewhere. Unfortunately, this forum has the worst search engine I've ever used.

The NLV ordinance says something about deadly weapons in a vehicle are prohibited except for tools of a trade. It is purposely very broad so as to give power to the police.

Keep in mind that firearms are now exempted from that law by virtue of the state preemption law that you have cited and quoted for you in the handout already.

It's been a long time since I've heard of hassles in NLV, and they are going to be far more likely among those who are shady characters.

But, NLV still has a reputation of elitism and might try to enforce this law if they don't like you. Their courts are of non-record, and will ignore state law. You will be guilty and have to appeal to state court before you can win, which you will.

Last edited:

MP_4_Life

Thank you everyone, I appreciate all the feedback. Since the law and cases of this law in court being dismissed, I've decided to stick with the other 3 laws. I don't want to inform them about a law that can be bypassed because of cases gettin dismissed due to the Nevada preemptions. So rather stick with the other 3 laws, rather give full information and not partial.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
How does that apply to a State preemption over local ordinances?

MP_4_Life

Maybe i misread ur PM or something (I figured that the preemption was how the case was won). I just meant that I was just bypassing the law for the presentation on the basis that if taken to the state, it'll be over turned.