• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

History

SFCRetired

On another thread, and I won't identify which one, another poster slammed my part of the country as being the home of a certain abominable racist group and the Republican Party.

Yes, that racist group was originally formed down here. Yes, it still exists, although, from what I can determine, its numbers are decreasing. For what it is worth, General Forrest formed the group to oppose what he saw as the arrogance of the Northerners who came down after the Civil War. He was wrong and, again from what I understand, acknowledged that he had been wrong later in his life. Also for what it is worth, at one time the largest contingent of that group was in the state of Indiana!!

As concerns the Republican Party; one of our more racist governors in this state was a Democrat. Even he had the good grace late in his life to apologize and ask forgiveness of those whom he had wronged. He was not alone in being both racist and Democrat. Few of the others apologized and asked forgiveness.

My point is very simple: I have never had the time nor the inclination to judge another human being by either their skin pigmentation or their political leanings. Most of those of us who were born and raised in the Deep South have moved beyond those days of hate. My Father, may God rest his soul, did not tolerate that sort of thing under his roof. His teachings were reinforced by my career in the Army.

I don't care if you're white, black, brown, yellow, or purple polka-dotted. Neither do I care what your political leanings are, your gender, or your sexual orientation. All I care about is whether or not you are an honest, upstanding citizen with a sense of integrity and honor. If you have those two things, I, and all of the people I call "friend", can accept the rest.

nobama

On another thread, and I won't identify which one, another poster slammed my part of the country as being the home of a certain abominable racist group and the Republican Party.

Yes, that racist group was originally formed down here. Yes, it still exists, although, from what I can determine, its numbers are decreasing. For what it is worth, General Forrest formed the group to oppose what he saw as the arrogance of the Northerners who came down after the Civil War. He was wrong and, again from what I understand, acknowledged that he had been wrong later in his life. Also for what it is worth, at one time the largest contingent of that group was in the state of Indiana!!

As concerns the Republican Party; one of our more racist governors in this state was a Democrat. Even he had the good grace late in his life to apologize and ask forgiveness of those whom he had wronged. He was not alone in being both racist and Democrat. Few of the others apologized and asked forgiveness.

My point is very simple: I have never had the time nor the inclination to judge another human being by either their skin pigmentation or their political leanings. Most of those of us who were born and raised in the Deep South have moved beyond those days of hate. My Father, may God rest his soul, did not tolerate that sort of thing under his roof. His teachings were reinforced by my career in the Army.

I don't care if you're white, black, brown, yellow, or purple polka-dotted. Neither do I care what your political leanings are, your gender, or your sexual orientation. All I care about is whether or not you are an honest, upstanding citizen with a sense of integrity and honor. If you have those two things, I, and all of the people I call "friend", can accept the rest.

If someone wants to see REAL racism, just go to Chicago, but its the not what the sheep are taught.

OC for ME

Do liberals have a sense of integrity and honor? Not in my experience.

While being a liberal is not a political leaning it sure is an odd coincidence that the vast majority of liberals are democrats.

WalkingWolf

Do liberals have a sense of integrity and honor? Not in my experience.

While being a liberal is not a political leaning it sure is an odd coincidence that the vast majority of liberals are democrats.

There are several interpretations of the word liberal. The word used to stand for liberty, now it stands excess of everything. Excess of spending, excess of government, excess of pandering. If none of that works apply more of the same liberally.

Freedom1Man

The problem is not RACISM but rather, the problem is BIGOTRY.

And don't give me any of the all races are the same CRAPPOLLA .

If they were really the same then, we all would have developed technology on a similar timeline through out the world, all racists would have developed civilizations, muscular skeletal structures would be same, organ placements would be the same, and brain shapes/patterns would be the same. Since that none of that is true there is a difference is races.

Race=origin and if you're of a different race than another then you're of a different origin (no we did not all come from Adam and Eve).

I am a racist however I am not a bigot. I don't care what you're race, gender, etc is if you can do a job and you do the job then you can have the job. Being of a different race does not mean I will hate you (racism is not about hate) refuse to be your friend, etc. I do believe that my race is better than the others through logical historical education and reasoning.

Now about the OP. The KKK is/was a government sponsored organization. Hell the FBI won the Bum Steer Award for getting caught creating a KKK cell and trying to get it to bomb at least one oil refinery.

Shoobee

Does anybody remember Trent Lott and David Duke?

If you do, do you remember where they were from and what party?

If you remember both then you can answer your own question, OP.

And then there was Selma.

All those issues, Lott, Duke, and Selma are proximity issues.

Alabama is not a swing state, so nobody is talking about it at all now.

But then neither is California. But if anyplace is the opposite of Alabama it is California.

Ohio is a swing state, a critical one. Everyone is watching Ohio now.

The point of the original issue was whether a recent migrant to Ohio from Alabama can be considered mainstream Ohioan?

Obviously not. Obviously.

Last edited:

OC for ME

There are several interpretations of the word liberal. The word used to stand for liberty, now it stands excess of everything. Excess of spending, excess of government, excess of pandering. If none of that works apply more of the same liberally.
Common usage of the day. Obfuscating the distinction betwen a liberal and a conservative as these two terms are used today is.....well, obfuscation of the issue.

"Everybody" knows what a liberal is when we hear them speak or read what they write.

OC for ME

But then neither is California. But if anyplace is the opposite of Alabama it is California.

The point of the original issue was whether a recent migrant to Ohio from Alabama can be considered mainstream Ohioan?

Robert Byrd and Strom Thurmond.

Freedom1Man

Really? You must be some unknown alien race, then. :rolleyes:

You must have never looked at history. Even modern history.

Members of what race was it that built space rockets and Jet engines?
What about the first automobiles?
What race of people figured out that a^2+b^2=c^2?
What about pi?
What about the displacement of water?

What race has ruined any civilization it has gotten a hold of? There is more than one right answer to this one. One answer is only sort of a race.

Who's idea was it for a philosopher king? What race was he?
What race does the Rig Veda talk about? That race had to calculate the fact that a year is not a perfect 364 days long.
What race is the most wildly known race of explorers too?

How did the ancient Pharaohs get cocaine?

SFCRetired

My answers in red:

I'll see your Trent Lott and David Duke and raise you one George Lincoln Rockwell and one Richard Girnt Butler

Do you remember where the two I mentioned are from and what they were aligned with?

FWIW, David Duke and Trent Lott were clowns, but how many years ago has that been?

I never said we didn't have our warts. We are human. But no one tells you the other side of what happened in Selma and afterward. Yes, Selma should never have happened.

Again, of how many years ago? Shall we go back in history and look at who owned the majority of the ships that brought slaves to the United States?

Ah, we agree on something. You're right. Alabama is quite opposite from California. There is still some sanity in Alabama and very little, if any, in California.

No, the original issue was a deprecating remark made about a former resident of Alabama. That is what led to my post.