Thread: New Member/OC, First Time OC Today

New Member/OC, First Time OC Today

Hello all,

I've been a long time follower of these forums. Read them religiously... Haven't seen a need to create an account until now.

Today was my first time OC in public. Have done it in my home a lot, carry concealed whenever I leave the house. But after some long conversations with my girlfriends brother in law last night(new gun owner/OC), I realized I know a lot more about OC law and how to deal with encounters more then I thought(but nor am I expert). So today I decided to strap on the usual S&W M&P but instead of concealing it, I openly carried it all morning. Had 4 errands to run.

First I stopped at Kinkos in Bonney Lake to get a few copies of the WA State Gun Rights Pamphlet made just in case I ran into any interested citizens or "anti gun" people out there. Not going to lie, I was a little nervous as this was my first time in public OC. I just kept telling myself, if I look or seem nervous it is going to do nothing but draw attention to myself and make the people around me wonder what is going on. Eventually I calmed down and finished my business with the employee with no confrontations or interaction about my side arm.

Next stop was down the hill at Winco in Sumner. Walked up with pamphlets in the back pocket on my non dominate side having my doubts about this place as I have read other stories about other local Wincos around Western Washington having anti gun employees that would demand them to cover. But to my surprise, all went well there. No confrontations, no interactions. Not even a stray look. Like I read all the time on here, people just don't pay attention to their surroundings. I realized that first hand today.

After Winco was my stop at Walmart for their $5 dollar movie bin (gotta love $5 movies!). It was fairly busy considering it was a Thursday morning. Walked right inside, past the door greeter with my strong side towards her as I seeked out the blue grocery hand baskets. Continued my shopping, no good movies this time. No one seemed to notice except for one guy wearing a NRA hat. I passed by this older gentleman on a electric scooter that was wearing a NRA hat. We made eye contact and he kind of gave me a half smile/half grin. I just nodded my head and proceeded on. Other then that, same as my last stops.

Lastly was my grocery stop at Safeway. I for sure thought someone was going to say something around here. I know all of the employees and they all know me as I've grown up in Bonney Lake and this is the only store myself and my whole family shops at for groceries. But too my surprise, no approaches and nothing said. Just a couple confused looks from the checker and the grocery bagger.

All in all, I had great experiences open carrying today. Unfortunately, sooner or later I will run into that one un approving citizen. And I will have to deal with it. But until then, I will keep on carrying openly in the Bonney Lake/Sumner area.

-Nemo -

Sounds like you had a good first OC run.....pretty soon you will be to where you aren't nervous at all. And even if you run into that unapproving citizen, hopefully you won't allow one negative response to change your decision to exercise your rights. There will always be those people who will disapprove no matter how polite and patient you are with them....pay them no heed once you determine they aren't open to logical debate.

Congradulation Nemo, I remember 2 years ago when I open carried for the first time I was nervous as hell. Its been 2 year and I'm alot more relaxed about it. It help me to have someone to go with and so me the ropes. There are alot of good people in the south end, you should hook up with them at a coffee meet.

The best thing I can tell you is its all in your head, how you interpret other peoples reactions, you don't know untill words come out of thier mouth what they are thinking. Just be happy with your new freedom, enjoy it...

New Member/OC, First Time OC Today

Congrats!! It gets easier the more you open carry. I have been carrying for more than 5 years and have had just one "negative" encounter with another citizen. (Just a lady who scolded me because she was afraid someone would take my gun) You'll find most folks either don't notice or don't care.
    "When seconds count between living or dying, the police are only minutes away."

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Awesome Nemo! Welcome to the liberating feeling of exercising your fundamental rights! And welcome to OCDO.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Welcome Nemo! If you are looking for a negative interaction, you may have a long wait. I've been OC'ing for two plus years at just about every venue you can imagine with never a negative comment. Just relax, and carry. If you are in the south sound area come to applebees on the 11th.
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

I remember my first negative encounter, it was at the Port Orchard Walmart. Customer said "why are you carrying a gun, this is a safe place." I replied "It keeps the lions away." He said "there are no lions here!" My reply "See, it works, have a nice day"

Wants some practice with police interactions?

Then come for a walk with me around Seattle, Monroe, and Redmond.

Seattle I've only had one encounter and even that was broken up quickly hell I even got the cops to leave by simple asking them, like they were humans, what they thought of different products at the store I was shopping in.

Just outside of Monroe, I've been arrested by the Snohomish County Sheriff's department for OC.

Redmond, before I OC'd, I've been stopped for simply walking around. Never been stopped for OC in Redmond though and yes I have done it. I've been pulled over in Redmond while CC and they are total dicks about you being armed.

I don't recall ever having OC'd in Bellevue though..... If you want practice we can go for it.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Welcome

Good to have you, glad your first OC went well.
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    Just outside of Monroe, I've been arrested by the Snohomish County Sheriff's department for OC.
    IS there a thread about this interaction? When did it happen, what was the outcome?

I am in Snohomish County and am preparing to start Open Carrying on the weekends and evenings. Just want to know what I should expect.

Scott

Quote Originally Posted by skeith5 View Post
    IS there a thread about this interaction? When did it happen, what was the outcome?

I am in Snohomish County and am preparing to start Open Carrying on the weekends and evenings. Just want to know what I should expect.

Scott
    Yes there was a thread, my first time on this site.
    I took down most of the information from the thread though.

I was charged with Obstruction of an Officer due to the fact they ordered me to stop, hands on head, turn around, walk toward us, etc.
    I was asked who I was I told them I could not find any law requiring me to ID myself for simple open carry (I am not giving all the detail and keeping it short). Was arrested, I told them it was a false arrest, when I was stuffed into the car I saw home page of this website on the monitor of the computer in the car. After I got home I promptly joined this site.

I was turned loose after someone told them to turn me loose, the obstruction charges were dismissed later on.

I have video of a (non)contact made with the Snohomish County Sheriff's Department while I was armed with my normal carry plus an AR15 where the level of contact amounted to a "good morning" and a following of me through Monroe the time I met SlapMonkay.

So the arrest took place in April, notice of charges came in on July 3rd and a couple of weeks ago the charges were dismissed.

---- Edit
    I was living out side of Monroe at the time.

I've heard that the City of Snohomish police are not friendly I don't know if that is true or not though.
    So keep a level head, carry a note book + pen, and an audio recorder.

Also it's recommended that you never get hostile with the police but never answer any questions either.
    Cop: Where do you live?
    Human: In a house.
    __
    Correction
    I had been OC before I joined that part is correct.
    I forgot I had joined this site in January for some reason. I believe my first posting was in April though.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 11-04-2012 at 02:24 AM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

I was too young and dumb back in 1970 to nervous for my first OC (unlicensed). I was told it was OK, no license necessary...and I believed the guy (he was OC at the time)

Funniest "(semi) negitive encounter" was at a restaraunt my wife and I go to. Owner (woman) misunderstood that the LCB no firearms restriction was only for the bar...anyway, after we got that sorted out, she says..."why were you not here yesterday? You could of taken care of that bear in our dumpster" (with a .38?)

Wants some practice with police interactions?

Then come for a walk with me around Seattle, Monroe, and Redmond.

Seattle I've only had one encounter and even that was broken up quickly hell I even got the cops to leave by simple asking them, like they were humans, what they thought of different products at the store I was shopping in.

Redmond, before I OC'd, I've been stopped for simply walking around. Never been stopped for OC in Redmond though and yes I have done it. I've been pulled over in Redmond while CC and they are total dicks about you being armed.

I don't recall ever having OC'd in Bellevue though..... If you want practice we can go for it.
    I would not take him up on that offer.
    "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms." Josey Wales

Hey Nemo, Welcome Aboard! Good post.
    watch your top knot !

Quote Originally Posted by Tacitus42 View Post
    I would not take him up on that offer.
    I would not either but I had to make the offer to be polite.

Scott
    Freedom1man is a magnet for police encounters, whether is be he choice of attire, accessories, haircut, shave, attitude or other. He simply has something that triggers a warning bell that attracts them. He actually triggers a warning bell to me. While he doesn't anymore (I don't think), his encounter in Monroe was due to him OC a rifle.

I don't think you will have any problems skeith. Especially if your cleanly and normally dressed and shaved. I have had 0 issues, along with plenty of other OCers, in Snohomish County.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    Freedom1man is a magnet for police encounters, whether is be he choice of attire, accessories, haircut, shave, attitude or other. He simply has something that triggers a warning bell that attracts them. He actually triggers a warning bell to me. While he doesn't anymore (I don't think), his encounter in Monroe was due to him OC a rifle.

I don't think you will have any problems skeith. Especially if your cleanly and normally dressed and shaved. I have had 0 issues, along with plenty of other OCers, in Snohomish County.
    Not the one I am referring to.

I did not have the rifle on me the time I got arrested for OC. How many times do I have to explain that to you?

The times I carried a rifle I had fewer problems than the time I DID NOT carry a rifle.
    I made it clear on me first thread that I had not been OC with a rifle the time I got cuffed and stuffed. The video I linked to was to show the road it was on. Yes the time I made the video I had a rifle but I had made it very clear that I did not have a rifle at the time of the arrest.

Not the one I am referring to.

I did not have the rifle on me the time I got arrested for OC. How many times do I have to explain that to you?

The times I carried a rifle I had fewer problems than the time I DID NOT carry a rifle.
    I made it clear on me first thread that I had not been OC with a rifle the time I got cuffed and stuffed. The video I linked to was to show the road it was on. Yes the time I made the video I had a rifle but I had made it very clear that I did not have a rifle at the time of the arrest.
    I understand. I did not say the time you got arrested that it was because of the rifle. I did say the Monroe incident likely was.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

I understand. I did not say the time you got arrested that it was because of the rifle. I did say the Monroe incident likely was.
    In Monroe it was the local PD who were the ones harassing me.

The arrest was SnoCo SD.

Congrats! Sumner/Bonney Lake/Puyallup area is generally pretty OC friendly, I hope you keep having positive encounters.

Thanks, I don't think I stick out with my dress and I don't feel/act nervous when I'm open carrying. The only beef I've gotten has been from my dad... a retired LEO.

Scott

I don't think I stick out with my dress
    ...you wear a dress when you OC? <rimshot>

Quote Originally Posted by thebigsd View Post
    Congrats!! It gets easier the more you open carry. I have been carrying for more than 5 years and have had just one "negative" encounter with another citizen. (Just a lady who scolded me because she was afraid someone would take my gun) You'll find most folks either don't notice or don't care.
    After I started to oc,I found how much nicer it was,so enymore about the only time I cc,is at work.I had my first negetive encounter today,some guy was telling me that the hammer on my 1911 was cocked,and how dangerous that was.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hardin View Post
    ...you wear a dress when you OC? <rimshot>
    Well of course because the way you dress makes a statement.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Welcome Nemo

Hello my wife, and I both carry open she was shy to the idea for a very long time, but I have carried for almost 2 years now with no issues. I have even gone to, and requested a lock box while I was open carry, I was not given any flack they did send three Snohomish Deputies out the first time until they got use to me coming in, then it was just one. However they were all very nice, they were happy with how I conducted myself. I have never had a bad encounter, I do believe that it has a lot to do with how you dress how you act, and how you talk with the police, and interact with the public.

Open carry guys I see getting a lot of flack that are dressed nice are not talking to or interacting with the public, and I see that as part of the increase in calls on them. I have set the mind of many at ease simply be interacting with them. When they look nervous or upset I try to find something nice to say to them, or try to offer help with something each case is different, but why I carry is to shed positive light on OC, and to allow people to know that people who openly carry are not bad guys

I had one older lady just about crap a brick while she was standing inline behind me at a store I held the door for her, and called her mam, and said have a great day, all those actions took a women who was clearly afraid to a women who was smiling.

One women huffed at me as she was walking into the Freddies here, and then I was in an isle a little old lady could not reach the top shelf so I got it down for her, just as the huffy one walked by she did a double take, and then smiled.

I know for a fact that how we react, and interact with the public can alter the situations we face. The one time I did have a interaction with a police officer I could tell some one had called on me, however he chose not to engage me in the traditional way as I was talking with an older gentleman, and helping another women with groceries even took her cart back the Officer stayed and talked to the women as I put her cart away, the older man said something to the cop about how they needed more men like me in the world

the worst I heard from the cop was a few questions about what kind of firearm I had as its not the normal Glock, M&P SiG Springfield firearms.

I have learned a lot over the last year even carried at the Seattle police picnics, and had nothing bad said to me, except by one minority women who said it wasn't right for me to carry in the open. I was nice to her, as were the other OC people that were there, and she calmed down eventually walked away. Yet I had positive conversations with the police while I was there.

We have come to a positive level, and I hope that we are able to keep this presence in the future.

Again welcome to WA OC, and hope to see you around stay positive, and remember your actions, and your behavior can make a huge difference.