• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New Member/OC, First Time OC Today

skeith5

Freedom1man is a magnet for police encounters, whether is be he choice of attire, accessories, haircut, shave, attitude or other. He simply has something that triggers a warning bell that attracts them. He actually triggers a warning bell to me. While he doesn't anymore (I don't think), his encounter in Monroe was due to him OC a rifle.

I don't think you will have any problems skeith. Especially if your cleanly and normally dressed and shaved. I have had 0 issues, along with plenty of other OCers, in Snohomish County.

Thanks, I don't think I stick out with my dress and I don't feel/act nervous when I'm open carrying. The only beef I've gotten has been from my dad... a retired LEO.

Scott

robert1970

Congrats!! It gets easier the more you open carry. I have been carrying for more than 5 years and have had just one "negative" encounter with another citizen. (Just a lady who scolded me because she was afraid someone would take my gun) You'll find most folks either don't notice or don't care.

After I started to oc,I found how much nicer it was,so enymore about the only time I cc,is at work.I had my first negetive encounter today,some guy was telling me that the hammer on my 1911 was cocked,and how dangerous that was.

07Altima

Welcome Nemo

Hello my wife, and I both carry open she was shy to the idea for a very long time, but I have carried for almost 2 years now with no issues. I have even gone to, and requested a lock box while I was open carry, I was not given any flack they did send three Snohomish Deputies out the first time until they got use to me coming in, then it was just one. However they were all very nice, they were happy with how I conducted myself. I have never had a bad encounter, I do believe that it has a lot to do with how you dress how you act, and how you talk with the police, and interact with the public.

Open carry guys I see getting a lot of flack that are dressed nice are not talking to or interacting with the public, and I see that as part of the increase in calls on them. I have set the mind of many at ease simply be interacting with them. When they look nervous or upset I try to find something nice to say to them, or try to offer help with something each case is different, but why I carry is to shed positive light on OC, and to allow people to know that people who openly carry are not bad guys :)

I had one older lady just about crap a brick while she was standing inline behind me at a store I held the door for her, and called her mam, and said have a great day, all those actions took a women who was clearly afraid to a women who was smiling.

One women huffed at me as she was walking into the Freddies here, and then I was in an isle a little old lady could not reach the top shelf so I got it down for her, just as the huffy one walked by she did a double take, and then smiled.

I know for a fact that how we react, and interact with the public can alter the situations we face. The one time I did have a interaction with a police officer I could tell some one had called on me, however he chose not to engage me in the traditional way as I was talking with an older gentleman, and helping another women with groceries even took her cart back the Officer stayed and talked to the women as I put her cart away, the older man said something to the cop about how they needed more men like me in the world :)

the worst I heard from the cop was a few questions about what kind of firearm I had as its not the normal Glock, M&P SiG Springfield firearms.

I have learned a lot over the last year even carried at the Seattle police picnics, and had nothing bad said to me, except by one minority women who said it wasn't right for me to carry in the open. I was nice to her, as were the other OC people that were there, and she calmed down eventually walked away. Yet I had positive conversations with the police while I was there.

We have come to a positive level, and I hope that we are able to keep this presence in the future.

Again welcome to WA OC, and hope to see you around stay positive, and remember your actions, and your behavior can make a huge difference. :)