• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

carrying concealed on your own property without permit???

boomer92266

i don't know if i heard this somewhere, dreamed it, or read it here. did a bill pass this year that allows conceal carry without a permit on your own property? if so when will it take effect?, it would be great in colder weather to carry and be able to put my coat over my gun while in my yard or woods in the back of my home. thanks

self preservation

i don't know if i heard this somewhere, dreamed it, or read it here. did a bill pass this year that allows conceal carry without a permit on your own property? if so when will it take effect?, it would be great in colder weather to carry and be able to put my coat over my gun while in my yard or woods in the back of my home. thanks

Yes.
KRS 527.020
9) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person who carries a concealed deadly weapon on or about his or her person without a license issued pursuant to KRS 237.110:
(a) If he or she is the owner of the property or has the permission of the owner of the property, on real property which he or she or his or her spouse, parent, grandparent, or child owns;
(b) If he or she is the lessee of the property or has the permission of the lessee of the property, on real property which he or she or his or her spouse, parent, grandparent, or child occupies pursuant to a lease; or
(c) If he or she is the sole proprietor of the business, on real property owned or leased by the business.
(10) Carrying a concealed weapon is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the defendant has been previously convicted of a felony in which a deadly weapon was possessed, used, or displayed, in which case it is a Class D felony.
Effective: July 12, 2012

ZXguy

Yes.
KRS 527.020
9) The provisions of this section shall not apply to a person who carries a concealed deadly weapon on or about his or her person without a license issued pursuant to KRS 237.110:
(a) If he or she is the owner of the property or has the permission of the owner of the property, on real property which he or she or his or her spouse, parent, grandparent, or child owns;
(b) If he or she is the lessee of the property or has the permission of the lessee of the property, on real property which he or she or his or her spouse, parent, grandparent, or child occupies pursuant to a lease; or
(c) If he or she is the sole proprietor of the business, on real property owned or leased by the business.
(10) Carrying a concealed weapon is a Class A misdemeanor, unless the defendant has been previously convicted of a felony in which a deadly weapon was possessed, used, or displayed, in which case it is a Class D felony.
Effective: July 12, 2012

wow...I was unaware of this. I guess I was looking at the old laws when studying for my cdw back in the summer. I thought the old law was insane. I couldn't understand why I wasn't allowed to carry concealed in my own home (not that I would normally even want to in my own home, but that's beside the point)

Why does anyone need a permit to go anywhere they want? What part of keep and BEAR doesn't society understand ..

I know. It annoys the crap outta me. You're only putting restrictions on the good guys while making it safer for the bad guys. It makes no sense.

self preservation

Why does anyone need a permit to go anywhere they want? What part of keep and BEAR doesn't society understand ..

Hey, hey, hey.........do you have a permit to say that??? If not you need to go apply for your 1st amendment permit now. Where in the hell do you think you are....America????

Shoobee

Scalia explains this in his written opinion of the majority on the Roberts court.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

He explains that "keep and bear" means keeping and bearing *inside of your own home*.

I know I know, that stinks, but that's his opinion, and that of the the 5 who agree with the 2nd Amendment.

The other 4 are from NYC and they completely disagree with the 2nd Amendment entirely; they should not even be on the high court.

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Scalia explains this in his written opinion of the majority on the Roberts court.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

He explains that "keep and bear" means keeping and bearing *inside of your own home*.

I know I know, that stinks, but that's his opinion, and that of the the 5 who agree with the 2nd Amendment.

The other 4 are from NYC and they completely disagree with the 2nd Amendment entirely; they should not even be on the high court.

That is his opinion on the right to "keep and bear" in the HOME. Nothing was asked of whether the 2A extends to outside the home, so the issue wasn't specifically addressed.

We do have cases working their way to the SCOTUS, but they haven't made it yet.

You do realize this is a forum for those of us that strongly support the 2A and have our mind made up about what it means, right? So, please stop trying to subliminally change folks' minds with your opinions.

Last edited:

UnfetteredMight

keep/kēp/ Verb: Have or retain possession of: "my father would keep the best for himself".

bear/be(ə)r/ Verb (of a person) Carry: "he was bearing a tray".

Its a sad state of affairs that we need a court ruling, or would even respect one to the contrary of the written word.

neuroblades

Devil's Advocate for a Moment!

Ok, we all know by now about the new law that allows us to carry concealed in our homes, on our property and/or businesses that we run. We also know by now that we can carry likewise in the home, on the property and/or businesses that we are granted permission to do so in or on.

Being additionally that Castle Doctrine has been determined to extend to not just our homes but to our vehicles as well.

How long do you think it's going to take before some egg-head tries to draw this connection into question and try to jusify being able to carry concealed in the vehicles WITHOUT a CCDW?

Last edited:

KYGlockster

Activist Member
Ok, we all know by now about the new law that allows us to carry concealed in our homes, on our property and/or businesses that we run. We also know by now that we can carry likewise in the home, on the property and/or businesses that we are granted permission to do so in or on.

Being additionally that Castle Doctrine has been determined to extend to not just our homes but to our vehicles as well.

How long do you think it's going to take before some egg-head tries to draw this connection into question and try to jusify being able to carry concealed in the vehicles WITHOUT a CCDW?

If someone was to do this then they would be willfully violating State law. The recently amended "KRS 527.020" is very clear where it states when someone is license exempt. Nowhere in the Statute does it state we are license exempt in our vehicles (except in certain areas). We only have the ability to do something if the General Assembly has not made the activity we are doing illegal. It is illegal to carry concealed in your vehicle without a license, unless of course you are carrying in the specific places that have been exempt (which makes me wonder why they don't allow us to carry concealed without a license in our POV because we can nearly carry anywhere without a license now).

The Castle Doctrine does extend to any "occupied" vehicle, but that is the extent of it. We can only defend ourselves with a weapon in our occupied vehicle if we are legally able to carry that weapon. We can legally carry a firearm or other deadly weapon in plain-sight, or in any enclosed, factory-installed storage-compartment if we do not have a CDWL.

If someone was arrested for CCDW in a vehicle and tried using KRS 527.020 and KRS Chapter 503 as their defense, then they would ultimately be charged and convicted of CCDW.