Thread: New Member

I've come to a few meetings at the Starbucks in Federal Way. Been browsing the site here for several months. Seems like one needs to have thick skin to post something on this forum. I find that rather interesting because all of the people I've met at the OC meet-ups have been real nice.

So, on Tuesday night at the new indoor shooting range in Federal Way there was an impromptu shooting competition. Moe said the prize would be a box of ammo. Eight people signed up, seven of which were store employees and myself. I came home last night with a free box of .45acp amo.

Catherine
    Last edited by CA2373; 11-01-2012 at 11:16 PM. Reason: forgot to ad story

It's easier for us to be buttheads in cyberspace. Face to face we become total wimps. Anyway welcome, and have a bit of thick skin since we can be a little opinionated. Here is a suit for you:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	firemanoutfit.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	9478  
    "The beauty of the Second Amenment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." Thomas Jefferson
    "Evil often triumphs, but never conquers." Joseph Roux
    http://nwfood.shelfreliance.com

well done!

Well,,,

It was a pleasure to meet you and chat you up at the starbucks,,
    and all of us shopping over at the sportsman!
    I havent spent that much time talking with a pretty girl in a while,, it was great!
    Hope to shoot with you someday. I could use some pointers. Congrats on your winning!
    Its funny, Ive read for years that woman, new to shooting are notoriously good at it!
    Of coarse if you say something often enough, it becomes the truth...
    Truth is 8 folks were trying to win some ammo.
    7 of them were trying to out shoot you.
    As Jeff Cooper liked to say,,, there are no second place winners...
    They all came in last!!!
    Proud of you...
    Last edited by 1245A Defender; 11-02-2012 at 08:05 AM.
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Regular Member Gilead_Gunslinger's Avatar
    mid-world (somewhere between tacoma and seattle)
    morning.. what are thoughts on that new range?
    I aim with my eye... I shoot with my mind... I kill with my heart....
    - The Gunslinger's Litany (paraphrased)

It has been brought to my attention that the stick figure decals on
    the back windows of vehicles are NOT pedestrian 'kill' scores, but are
    actually meant to represent family members. I'll be removing mine
    ASAP to avoid any further confusion.........

First comes smiles, then lies. Last is gunfire.

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    I couldn't help but laugh when you told me about this.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CA2373 View Post
    I've come to a few meetings at the Starbucks in Federal Way. Been browsing the site here for several months. Seems like one needs to have thick skin to post something on this forum. I find that rather interesting because all of the people I've met at the OC meet-ups have been real nice.

So, on Tuesday night at the new indoor shooting range in Federal Way there was an impromptu shooting competition. Moe said the prize would be a box of ammo. Eight people signed up, seven of which were store employees and myself. I came home last night with a free box of .45acp amo.

Catherine
    Welcome to the forum Catherine.

We are not known for holding back and being politically correct. I think though you'll find some of the ruder folks here don't go to many meets, they prefer to hide behind the anonymity of the keyboard.

Speak your mind don't hold back we can handle it.
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    It was a pleasure to meet you and chat you up at the starbucks,,
    and all of us shopping over at the sportsman!
    I havent spent that much time talking with a pretty girl in a while,, it was great!
    Hope to shoot with you someday. I could use some pointers. Congrats on your winning!
    Its funny, Ive read for years that woman, new to shooting are notoriously good at it!
    Of coarse if you say something often enough, it becomes the truth...
    Truth is 8 folks were trying to win some ammo.
    7 of them were trying to out shoot you.
    As Jeff Cooper liked to say,,, there are no second place winners...
    They all came in last!!!
    Proud of you...
    A friend of mine who use to shoot with the IHSMA told me it was an ego thing.
    Men are harder to teach because we seem to believe we know it all. Women are willing to listen and learn.
    When he had his XP100 chambered in 30-30AI he would get people asking him questions about that handgun and he would let people fire off a shot or two. He said that the women could normally hit what they were aiming at simply because they were following his instructions.
    The men wanted to try firing his .444 Marlin pistol. Most would flinch and miss at the 100 yard target.
    He can out group most rifles at 100 yards using his handguns.

----

Welcome aboard Ma'am.
    Last edited by Freedom1Man; 11-02-2012 at 01:41 PM.
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Welcome

Glad to have you aboard
    ~ ENCLAVE vmc ~
    The Enclave is looking for patriotic motorcycle riders in Washington State who support liberty and freedom for all. ~ Check us out!
    ~
    * " To be swayed neither by the opponent nor by his sword is the essence of swordsmanship." - Miyamoto Musashi.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilead_Gunslinger View Post
    morning.. what are thoughts on that new range?
    I like it. Women shoot for half price Tuesdays between 5 and 8pm so I'm excited about that.

One thing to remember is to make sure your pants are pulled up when you bend over to pick up your brass so you don't show plumber button on the cctv feed out in the lobby! I get the feeling though that they don't like you recovering your spent brass.

I like it. Women shoot for half price Tuesdays between 5 and 8pm so I'm excited about that.

One thing to remember is to make sure your pants are pulled up when you bend over to pick up your brass so you don't show plumber button on the cctv feed out in the lobby! I get the feeling though that they don't like you recovering your spent brass.
    I don't care to pay for a range, I like the woods. But the major indoor range here in Spokane has a line drawn on the floor at your shooting station. Any brass downrange of the line is theirs, you can pick up anything on the shooters side of the line. Maybe your indoor range has a similar policy? I'd just keep collecting it untill told otherwise..

-Thor
    Let me make a short, opening, blanket statement. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a decent person is no threat to anybody - except bad people.

- Charleton Heston

It very easily could be an ego thing...12 year old granddaughter...graduated her to her grandmother's High Standard Trophy, first time with the pistol, or any pistol for that matter, and she shot a 47 (out of 50) first shot was in the 8 ring, second in the 9 ring, the last three were all in the black. @25'

Moved on a bit later to my silouettes (same pistol, different barrel and slide) and she woop me sound...Oh well, what can I say, I've been shooting for almost 60 years, she had been pistol shooting for almost 60 minutes.

She's 14 now, still woops up on me when we shoot up here. (I shoot at my own range here on our property). Then she did the same with a bow and arrow...arg!

When I lived in Kalifornia my daughter was 12 and shot trap and skeet with me quit a bit. One day there was a new member at the club and was not happy to see a "kid" there shooting on the same squad that he was on. After she out shot him three times in a row he went to the range officer and demanded that she not be able to shoot because she was so young. He did not know she had been shooting at the gun club for about 2 years at that point and was well liked. He got asked to leave and not come back. Personally I love to see women shoot, shooting well is even better. I love to see women and kids involved in the shooting sports, I do hate to lose to them but then again I hate to loose to anyone. The more women and kids the better I say. Kick their butt Catherine, it was good meeting you at Jim's a while back.

Catherine
    Good shooting. The others have a point about women shooters. My wife's a very good shot with her revolver. In fact she even shows off with it sometimes.

Rubbing it in a little!

So I stopped in at said gun store/shooting range and bought some competition targets and passed them out to the employees that I out shot on Tuesday. Moe and another guy who I handed the targets to were behind the counter helping other customers and had to stop to explain to them why it was that I was handing them a target. So everyone in the store at the time got to hear about how they all lost and started coming up with excuses etc... At any rate I've been asked if I was coming again this next Tuesday night for a rematch. I've said I was coming. Now if I don't win the next competition I'm never going to hear the end of it! So anyone want to come to Federal Way Discount Guns at 5:00pm and join in the competition? I'd rather loose to someone who is NOT an employee of that store! I don't plan on loosing but I only one by one point so it's going to be close.

So I stopped in at said gun store/shooting range and bought some competition targets and passed them out to the employees that I out shot on Tuesday. Moe and another guy who I handed the targets to were behind the counter helping other customers and had to stop to explain to them why it was that I was handing them a target. So everyone in the store at the time got to hear about how they all lost and started coming up with excuses etc... At any rate I've been asked if I was coming again this next Tuesday night for a rematch. I've said I was coming. Now if I don't win the next competition I'm never going to hear the end of it! So anyone want to come to Federal Way Discount Guns at 5:00pm and join in the competition? I'd rather loose to someone who is NOT an employee of that store! I don't plan on loosing but I only one by one point so it's going to be close.
    Well good luck. And Welcome to OCDO!
    Last edited by EMNofSeattle; 11-03-2012 at 02:03 AM.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

NRA Member

What is the price? How many rounds will I need to bring?
    Provision for free medical attendance and nursing, for clothing, for food, for housing, for the education of children, and a hundred other matters, might with equal propriety be proposed as tending to relieve the employee of mental strain and worry. --- These matters obviously lie outside the orbit of congressional power. (Railroad Retirement Board v Alton Railroad)

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom1Man View Post
    What is the price? How many rounds will I need to bring?
    http://www.federalwaydiscountguns.com/Membership

this should answer your question on range fees. As far as ammo, bring as much as you want to shoot. I'd suggest at least 50 rounds of something.

"A closed mouth gathers no foot."

Just thought that might be fitting in this thread.

Centurion

Quote Originally Posted by Jayd1981 View Post
    "A closed mouth gathers no foot."

Just thought that might be fitting in this thread.
    Provided the foot was not in mouth prior to closing !!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

Catherine... Very cool! I hope to hear some good news or at least you gave them a run for their money...

How long have you been shooting?

What kind of competition?
    Young Kim, NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

"Shoot Safetly, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport!"
    Jim Scoutten, Shooting USA

Quote Originally Posted by oldkim View Post
    Catherine... Very cool! I hope to hear some good news or at least you gave them a run for their money...

How long have you been shooting?

What kind of competition?
    Well, I went shooting again today and expected a rematch but sadly no one showed up so. Moe wasn't there so there was no competition. The competition we had last week was an informal impromptu event initiated by Moe (the store manager or owner. I'm not sure which.)

I did quite well tonight shooting. I had 2" groups with my .45 at seven yards or so.

I grew up with guns in the house and learned to shoot at an early age. I haven't shot much until recently and even now it's not that much. Maybe a few times a month. It's too expensive to shoot the .45. I like .22's they are fun and cheap to shoot. I'm not that big on guns. They are nice and all and I have a few but I could live with out them. My hobbies tend to change every couple of years.

Very cool. Oh by the way Moe is the owner.

Well if you are a little more adventurist and competitive... Try IDPA and/or FunSteel.

www.shootonthemove.org/funsteel
    There's a match this Saturday at Renton Fish and Game (rfgc.org)

And an IDPA match the 3rd Saturday (so that's next Saturday) at Renton Fish and Game Club.

And if you don't feel comfortable jumping in.... I can send you info on how to get started... PM me and I'll give you more info.
    Young Kim, NRA Endowment Member
    NRA Certified Instructor (pistol)
    NRA Range Safety Officer

www.shootonthemove.org

"Shoot Safetly, Shoot Often and Share Your Sport!"
    Jim Scoutten, Shooting USA