• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Looking for an OC friendly bank.

Esanders2008

I am looking for an OC friendly bank or CU because I found out that Navy Federal is (sadly) anti. It really blows my mind that an organization dedicated to the men and women who serve(d) our country would be fundamentally against one of its founding principles.

I would like to know if any of you have found a bank with convenient branches in hampton roads, and what your experiences are.

Also, I'm not a big fan of fees associated with my accounts, or minimum balances, so...

Thanks,
Eddy

zoom6zoom

All the signs came down when Wells Fargo took over Wachovia. Never had any issues OC'ing in there.
I can't really recommend BofA, but never did have any carry issues there.

paramedic

All the signs came down when Wells Fargo took over Wachovia. Never had any issues OC'ing in there.
I can't really recommend BofA, but never did have any carry issues there.

Agree, have been to many different Wells Fargo through out the state, never an issue while OC

SPOProds

BofA is anti gun as seen with McMillan Firearms. Not sure if TD Bank is down that way but they are OC friendly. I explained my Peoples United problem to them and they welcomed me with open arms as a new account holder and open carrier.

thaJack

I've carried openly in one of the Wells Fargo branches in Roanoke on multiple occasions. In fact, last time was to have them notarize my CHP renewal. No problems, no looks, no comments from anyone.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Although Bank of America may choose to not do business with certain firearm related companies, I have never had any issue carrying (openly of course) in the branches I've visited in the few years I've been dealing with them. It is my understanding that Chase also has no issue with firearms carry either, but I'm not certain they have any branches in Virginia.

One has to wonder what kind of business model these small banks are following chasing their customers who simply wish to protect themselves off to the big banks. Oh well, let them fail if that's what it takes for them to learn.

Last edited:

Vtloki

Thank you all for the replies. I think I am going to check into PNC this afternoon.

I'm a pnc customer, and I've been satisfied as a customer with their banking options. I actually moved from nfcu like you are.

Esanders2008

I'm a pnc customer, and I've been satisfied as a customer with their banking options. I actually moved from nfcu like you are.

That's good to know. Do you know how strict they are on lending? My credit isn't so good, but I have a car loan with nf that I wouldn't mind moving.

ClumsyCandy

That's good to know. Do you know how strict they are on lending? My credit isn't so good, but I have a car loan with nf that I wouldn't mind moving.

Virginia Credit Union. I've been with them 15 years, my husband just joined shortly before we married. I don't have a job and they pre-approved me for a loan of $20k. I asked the lady at the CU about it and she said 99% of the time, if you're pre-approved, you're approved because they do it based off of your credit rating. I LOVE the CU, I have NEVER had a problem open carrying, and they do the mobile check deposit app, where you just take a picture of the front and back of a check, they deposit it, email you and you destroy the check. Works like a dream!

richarcm

Virginia Credit Union. I've been with them 15 years, my husband just joined shortly before we married. I don't have a job and they pre-approved me for a loan of $20k. I asked the lady at the CU about it and she said 99% of the time, if you're pre-approved, you're approved because they do it based off of your credit rating. I LOVE the CU, I have NEVER had a problem open carrying, and they do the mobile check deposit app, where you just take a picture of the front and back of a check, they deposit it, email you and you destroy the check. Works like a dream!

X2

Esanders2008

So I have heard mixed opinions of OCing in NFCU, so I decided to try it today for myself. I saw the gun buster sign near my FEET as i walked in, but decided to go in anyway. There was a Norfolk City police officer "standing guard" near the welcome counter. He quickly told me I couldn't that I couldn't have *that* in here, and I'd have to leave it in my car. He also asked if I seen the sign on the door. I told him no. I went out to my car and secured my firearm, then came back inside. The NFCU rep at the counter told me that "there is a law against carrying in banks and government buildings." I told him he was misinformed, and that there was no state or federal laws prohibiting carry in banks, and VA has preemption that prevents localities from enacting ordinances to that effect. I even told the police officer I could go to his precinct right now and carry if I wished.

I really need to change banks, but my wife isn't really on board with it because we have a credit card and auto loan with NFCU, and the loan is so upside down that I can't refinance. (We should start a "help Eddy pay off his car" fund :p)

The one thing that concerns me is that the officer was breaking the rule too. He had a firearm. I also don't think he was on duty, but he WAS in uniform. Maybe someone can explain how that works. Because if he is on duty, shouldn't he be "protecting the people" (read that as "serving the interest of the state") instead of hanging out in a NFCU?

mpguy

There are no signs on my cu window..BroncoFcu. Haven't tested it yet though. Just Cc.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2