Thread: Questions about concealed carry on election day, is my poling place off limits?

Questions about concealed carry on election day, is my poling place off limits?

Am I correct in thinking that I can carry my handgun concealed with me into the voting booth?

Also, the place where I go to vote is Sherwood Forest Rec Center which is controlled by Norfolk Parks and Recreation so the building itself is not considered K-12 if I'm not mistaking. However it is right next to to a elementary school. It backs right up to it but is not connected in anyway shape or form.

http://www.norfolk.gov/rpos/SherwoodForest.asp

A quick way to find it on a map for a aerial view to show how close it is to the school
    36°52'38.71"N
    76°14'17.73"W

Thank you. I tried to find the answer looking online but am having little luck.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by btm757 View Post
    Am I correct in thinking that I can carry my handgun concealed with me into the voting booth?

Also, the place where I go to vote is Sherwood Forest Rec Center which is controlled by Norfolk Parks and Recreation so the building itself is not considered K-12 if I'm not mistaking. However it is right next to to a elementary school. It backs right up to it but is not connected in anyway shape or form.

http://www.norfolk.gov/rpos/SherwoodForest.asp

A quick way to find it on a map for a aerial view to show how close it is to the school
    36°52'38.71"N
    76°14'17.73"W

Thank you. I tried to find the answer looking online but am having little luck.
    If its not on school property, that's not an issue.
    Concealed is OK under the BOE manual but some polling places have banned OC. VCDL has said that carry is not illegal, so just print that out and show it to the Cops.

Not a good answer. Sorry, but there isn't a good answer right now. There was some turf tugging when it was being looked into.

Founder's Club Member
    Well btm it's hard to say if you can carry your concealed handgun there, but there's a chance that you may be able to. Now the lawfulness of the matter will come down to whether you have a valid concealed handgun license or that of a reciprocal state.

Since this is an Open Carry board, you may want to take a look at this thread for some background. Take note that the conclusion is different than the title of the thread suggests.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...d-of-Elections

Quote Originally Posted by jmelvin View Post
    Well btm it's hard to say if you can carry your concealed handgun there, but there's a chance that you may be able to. Now the lawfulness of the matter will come down to whether you have a valid concealed handgun license or that of a reciprocal state.

Since this is an Open Carry board, you may want to take a look at this thread for some background. Take note that the conclusion is different than the title of the thread suggests.

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...d-of-Elections

Thanks for the replies I do have a valid VA Resident Permit. I do OC when I can but I mostly conceal. I am almost positive if I OC at that particular polling place the cops will be called and with my future career choices banking on me not getting arrested I would rather avoid it.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Thanks for the replies I do have a valid VA Resident Permit. I do OC when I can but I mostly conceal. I am almost positive if I OC at that particular polling place the cops will be called and with my future career choices banking on me not getting arrested I would rather avoid it.
    Please note that your CHP is an approved alternate to a Voter ID card in the Commonwealth of Virginia.

Snip: "his concealed handgun permit issued pursuant to § 18.2-308,"
    http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp...0+cod+24.2-643
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    I am almost positive if I OC at that particular polling place the cops will be called and with my future career choices banking on me not getting arrested I would rather avoid it.
    You just answered your own question!

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    You just answered your own question!
    Yep - At times we all are forced to chose between being practical and being tactical.

We too are familiar with the old saw: Wisdom is the better part of valor.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Well,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Yep - At times we all are forced to chose between being practical and being tactical.

help me,,, grape... I thought it was,

"Discretion" is the better part of valor...
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post

Yes, "Discretion is the better part of valor."

but...

"Wisdom is the better part of discretion."

Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post

Quote Originally Posted by architect View Post
    Yes, "Discretion is the better part of valor."

but...

"Wisdom is the better part of discretion."
    Guilty as charged. Do I get a time out?

Guilty as charged. Do I get a time out?
    No, I think you need the embarrassment of being seen in all your usual haunts OCing peter nap's pea shooter of a 9mm

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    No, I think you need the embarrassment of being seen in all your usual haunts OCing peter nap's pea shooter of a 9mm
    Nine? Nein, nein, no not that. That would be....humiliating and I'd lose my stability in a breeze.

Mine could be a 9........if I add the two digits together and replace the mm with ACP.

I promise to try harder to be good. I'll even skip the sweet rolls (sob) at breakfast.

Nine? Nein, nein, no not that. That would be....humiliating and I'd lose my stability in a breeze.

Mine could be a 9........if I add the two digits together and replace the mm with ACP.

I promise to try harder to be good. I'll even skip the sweet rolls (sob) at breakfast.
    If you need to regain some stability, carry a tactical banana on your left hip, then you'll be nicely balanced again

Quote Originally Posted by scouser View Post
    If you need to regain some stability, carry a tactical banana on your left hip, then you'll be nicely balanced again
    I can see that I'm going to have to have a talk with Logan to find out better how to handle you.