• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in a Court

hud

I believe it has been declared that open carry into a court, or even a court building, is illegal. The State Police Update 86 appears to indicate that open carry into a court is legal for those with a CPL. Anyone willing to clarify?

OT, I've not posted for a loooooong time, but have open carried in areas around Kalamazoo and Lawrence, Paw Paw, Portage. No issues, but have gotten some favorable comments and several favorable discussions.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
I believe it has been declared that open carry into a court, or even a court building, is illegal. The State Police Update 86 appears to indicate that open carry into a court is legal for those with a CPL. Anyone willing to clarify?

OT, I've not posted for a loooooong time, but have open carried in areas around Kalamazoo and Lawrence, Paw Paw, Portage. No issues, but have gotten some favorable comments and several favorable discussions.

yes, courts are ruled by the men in robes, not by laws. i will look for the cite for you, but you definitely may NOT conceal or OC in a court in michigan.

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran

here you go:
http://www.co.monroe.mi.us/government/courts/circuit_court/docs/2001_01.pdf

"It is ordered that weapons are not permitted in
any courtroom, office, or other space used for
official court business or by judicial employees
unless the chief judge or other person designated by
the chief judge has given prior approval consistent
with the court’s written policy."

hud

here you go:

Thanks for the clarafication! I knew that courts were out of bounds, but didn't know the source.

Haman J.T.

here you go:

I remember some years back,some feathers were ruffled when the head judge of Hillsdale county decided to allow lawfull firearm possession in his court.Haven't heard anything since! I guess it wasn't a problem! DUH!

griffin

I remember some years back,some feathers were ruffled when the head judge of Hillsdale county decided to allow lawfull firearm possession in his court.

Actually firearms are allowed in the court house, but not the courtroom itself.

tenletters

Not necessarily. "Or other space used for official court business" often include the Clerk's office and may include the Registrar's office and/or Treasurer's office.
It's the call of the presiding District Judge to determine the policy and there are many Michigan Courthouses that are off limits to guns entirely. Unless yu wish to spend the inherited largess of grannie and do a little time you'd be well served to leave it in the car unless you are absolutely SURE what the accepted policy in that particular courthouse really is.

Bronson

Not necessarily. "Or other space used for official court business" often include the Clerk's office and may include the Registrar's office and/or Treasurer's office.
It's the call of the presiding District Judge to determine the policy and there are many Michigan Courthouses that are off limits to guns entirely. Unless yu wish to spend the inherited largess of grannie and do a little time you'd be well served to leave it in the car unless you are absolutely SURE what the accepted policy in that particular courthouse really is.

You are correct in the general but griffin was specifically responding to hamaneggs statement about Hillsdale County where the head judge has decided that firearms are only barred in the courtrooms and the rest of the courthouse is ok for carry.

I remember some years back,some feathers were ruffled when the head judge of Hillsdale county decided to allow lawfull firearm possession in his court.Haven't heard anything since! I guess it wasn't a problem! DUH!

Bronson

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I can tell you for a fact, unless you're a LEO, you can't get into the Ingham County District courthouse in Mason. They have security and metal detectors right inside the door way. I once had to take my fingernail clippers back to my car before they'd let me in. And I was just going to see the court clerk, I wasn't going into any court room.

TheQ

I can tell you for a fact, unless you're a LEO, you can't get into the Ingham County District courthouse in Mason. They have security and metal detectors right inside the door way. I once had to take my fingernail clippers back to my car before they'd let me in. And I was just going to see the court clerk, I wasn't going into any court room.

If you are talking about the historic courthouse in the central square of downtown, there is no such metal detector.

lapeer20m

How can the court rule that the state legislature completely occupies the field of firearm regulation yet the court makes and enforces their own rule regarding the possession of firearms?

The problem with fighting such a rule is that the Supreme Court is unlikely to disagree with its own administrative order.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
How can the court rule that the state legislature completely occupies the field of firearm regulation yet the court makes and enforces their own rule regarding the possession of firearms?

The problem with fighting such a rule is that the Supreme Court is unlikely to disagree with its own administrative order.
I've been trying to figure that one out since it came into being. Every time I think about it, I get a headache.

hud

You know of any courthouses that have a guard/lockbox where you can check your pistol in and then pick it back up on the way out? Seems like at the least that would be a required item if the courts are going to overrule the legislature.

TheQ

You know of any courthouses that have a guard/lockbox where you can check your pistol in and then pick it back up on the way out? Seems like at the least that would be a required item if the courts are going to overrule the legislature.

I've heard Eaton County has a setup like that.

springerdave

Northern lower & Keweenaw area, Michigan, USA

In Oscoda county the Court and the clerks office is in two separate buildings. Two years ago I convinced the Co Clerk that the posting that had been on the wall for years was un lawful. She agreed and removed it. Later that summer after I had been in the building that contained the clerks office many times, the judge pronounced that building officially off limits by placing it under the "other space " rule. I havent been back in there since.springerdave.