• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Message from Sheriff Strachan's Campaign

Open Carry Members,

My name is Robin Farris and I am the campaign manager for King County Sheriff Steve Strachan. I appreciate that one of your members (Kevin) reached out to me. We had a very thoughtful and enlightening conversation about open carry; what it means and a frank discussion about law enforcement best practices.

One best practice of issuing a training bulletin for 911 dispatchers and deputies to educate them on open carry laws. I have spoken with the Sheriff and he indicated that it is a good idea and will consider implementing it. I will look for a copy from another law enforcement agency if that is available on this site.

The Sheriff does not personally own a firearm; however, he does support the Second Amendment. He does not have an agenda or desire to impede citizen's liberties. In a memo to all deputies, he stated:

"Stay within the bounds of your authority. Law enforcement personnel are granted extraordinary powers. We have the power to detain, search and confine people. We are authorized to use force. In exchange for this extraordinary grant of authority, the public expects us to use it wisely, and within the confines of the law. Abusing our authority, even in small ways, undermines public trust and confidence in our office and in the rule of law."

I welcome the opportunity for further discussion on best practices in law enforcement and will pass all information from this thread onto the Sheriff.

Thank you again for contacting the campaign and giving us an opportunity to address your community's concerns.
Sincerely, Robin Farris
253-905-2451

TheGunMan

I agree

So I sent off an email that is OT for this site but asking certain questions any how.

I would hesitate to vote for someone who does not own a gun though.

I was not sold on him by what was said. Mabee I senced a little arogance there also.

Last edited:

davidmcbeth

Banned

Is he still waiting on a permit? Sad. lol

And I have never heard anyone saying they don't support the 2nd amendment...even folks whose views and actions actually don't show that they actually support it.

Maybe he fully supports the ideals of the 2nd amendment .. like the right of any citizen who can own a gun to be able to carry w/o anything additional needed like permits etc. Who knows...maybe his manager will re-post.

Keep the Faith!

davidmcbeth

Banned
I spoke to Robin and she was wondering why the forum has posts that do not convey what Robin thought the forum should express back to her original posting. It was suggested that specific ? be placed on the board in which Robin would try to get answers from the candidate and post here in an attempt to make further clear the support for the 2nd amendment and carry issues.

So, I'll start off:

Gary Johnson of the Libertarian party supports no legislative laws should be hurdles for people to carry. Anyone who can own should have the right to carry...so does the Sheriff have the same viewpoint? This would eliminate the need for permitting, training or safety classes that may be established by the legislature....

Many people I know don't have permits simply because of the fingerprinting requirement - criminals get fingerprinted, not law abiding citizens, right? And if it is a right to carry (ie bear) then why should ANY costs be associated with it?

#2 - set of ?
http://listverse.com/2009/03/07/16-signs-that-you-live-in-a-tyranny/

Above link is to characteristics of an oppressive government. One such characteristic is the militarization of our local law enforcement. So, does the Sheriff see a need for his office to procure military weaponry? Has he done this in the past, getting M16s, M14s, or other equipment from the federal government through federal grants or the DOD Logistic Agency in the past or is planning to do so in the future?
Can he elaborate concerning any equipment that the federal government has provided at low or no cost to his agency? Should citizens have the right to have the same weaponry as law enforcement, and if not, why not?

Many have seen the militarization of our local government. Local authorities getting millions of M16s when legislatures have been pushing legislation to ban these types of firearms from the general public.

------------- other may post additional queries ----

sudden valley gunner

Open Carry Members,

My name is Robin Farris and I am the campaign manager for King County Sheriff Steve Strachan. I appreciate that one of your members (Kevin) reached out to me. We had a very thoughtful and enlightening conversation about open carry; what it means and a frank discussion about law enforcement best practices.

One best practice of issuing a training bulletin for 911 dispatchers and deputies to educate them on open carry laws. I have spoken with the Sheriff and he indicated that it is a good idea and will consider implementing it. I will look for a copy from another law enforcement agency if that is available on this site.

The Sheriff does not personally own a firearm; however, he does support the Second Amendment. He does not have an agenda or desire to impede citizen's liberties. In a memo to all deputies, he stated:

"Stay within the bounds of your authority. Law enforcement personnel are granted extraordinary powers. We have the power to detain, search and confine people. We are authorized to use force. In exchange for this extraordinary grant of authority, the public expects us to use it wisely, and within the confines of the law. Abusing our authority, even in small ways, undermines public trust and confidence in our office and in the rule of law."

I welcome the opportunity for further discussion on best practices in law enforcement and will pass all information from this thread onto the Sheriff.

Thank you again for contacting the campaign and giving us an opportunity to address your community's concerns.
Sincerely, Robin Farris
253-905-2451

Does the Sheriff believe in the legislative note on use of force in ..RCW 9A.16.040?
"The legislature recognizes that RCW 9A.16.040 establishes a dual standard with respect to the use of deadly force by peace officers and private citizens, and further recognizes that private citizens' permissible use of deadly force under the authority of RCW 9.01.200,9A.16.020, or 9A.16.050 is not restricted and remains broader than the limitations imposed on peace officers."

I can appreciate and respect the Sheriff's personal choice not to own a firearm. That is his choice. Will he be willing to attend a meet up our members have to discuss issues?

Will he give back the Fed's fancy toys and the strings that go along with them?

Jeff Hayes

I understand, well not really I am just being polite, that the Sheriff does not personally own a firearm but does he carry a county issued sidearm?

Is there a county owned shotgun or M16, Ar-15 etc in the trunk of his county owned vehicle?

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Does the Sheriff believe in the legislative note on use of force in ..RCW 9A.16.040?

I can appreciate and respect the Sheriff's personal choice not to own a firearm. That is his choice. Will he be willing to attend a meet up our members have to discuss issues?

I would hope not, becuase the feds aren't using this equipment to leverage and micromanage the department. The only thing I can think of that the feds gave to KCSO is a Huey helicopter that never flies that much anymore since they bought a new Bell chopper 2 years ago.

For your reading pleasure, the manual involving 1208 and 1033 federal donations is available to the public here

amlevin

I would hesitate to vote for someone who does not own a gun though.

Why? Sheriff's and Police Chiefs are merely administrators today. They don't go out on patrol. When they do go out to crime scenes there's no more danger.

They have the same rights as anyone else and if they choose to not own a gun, fine. Remember, "Rights" apply to everyone.

In this case, the Sheriff may not choose to own a gun but chances are that he still carry's one issued by the Department. Sounds to me like he's a person that would rather use his communication skills rather than the gun like all to many other Law Officers today.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me as I can't vote for him. Wrong County.

Freedom1Man

Why? Sheriff's and Police Chiefs are merely administrators today. They don't go out on patrol. When they do go out to crime scenes there's no more danger.

They have the same rights as anyone else and if they choose to not own a gun, fine. Remember, "Rights" apply to everyone.

In this case, the Sheriff may not choose to own a gun but chances are that he still carry's one issued by the Department. Sounds to me like he's a person that would rather use his communication skills rather than the gun like all to many other Law Officers today.

Anyway, it doesn't matter to me as I can't vote for him. Wrong County.

While he might be an exception to the rule. I have found that people who claim to support the 2nd Amendment and do not own guns, don't understand the 2nd Amendment and really don't want people owning guns. While I understand that is not true 100% of the time it's still a rule I have found to work.

The major exception is when it's someone who cannot own guns under our current (il)legal system.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member

The Federal Reserve now gives out money and equipment directly to local law-enforcement? I have so got to become either a banker or a cop! :)

Regarding the communication from the campaign. And, not owning a gun. If he's an elected sheriff, then he's a politician. Talk is cheap. Give him the benefit of the doubt, but investigate his record.

EMNofSeattle

You weren't around for the WTO riots? Sheriff Reichert was out there doing it.[/COLOR]

.... *southern accent* You made a bad choice... go riotin' in my town... boy, sit straight up there son, you're under arrest you got me boy?"

Hehe That's pretty good actually, a sheriff should do some field work with his deputies every so often.

EMNofSeattle

Regarding the communication from the campaign. And, not owning a gun. If he's an elected sheriff, then he's a politician. Talk is cheap. Give him the benefit of the doubt, but investigate his record.

Frankly this is a non-issue IMHO. WA State has broad preemption laws, King County Sheriff has not (at least that I heard of) been a terribly troublesome agency as far as detaining OCers and false arrests of gun owners and the like. WA has strong shall issue laws so other then making you wait 30 days there's not much the sheriff can do to jerk you around there.

I mean he can make enforcement of 9.41.270 a priority and try arresting some people there... but he's been acting sheriff for a year now and KCSO hasn't been out bringing in the OCers to jail left and right. So really as far as his actions plus his limited powers on the guns side, I really think this is close to a moot issue.