• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Halloween Home Invasion

decklin

I know people were waiting for these stories so here you go. I saw this on the news last night.

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-grim-reapers-suspects-in-beacon-hill-halloween-home-invasion-20121101,0,3101487.story

This was exactly the reason I was OC'ing on Halloween. Every Trick or Treater that came to my door was greeted with a bowl of candy, a smile, and my 1911 on my hip. I would step outside the door with the candy in my support hand and while the TorT'ers were collecting their bounty I would survey the parents watching (A few definitely saw the 1911) and the rest of the street looking for anything out of the ordinary. You know, like unusually tall goblins walking down the street.

I wonder how many of my neighbors were thinking, Oh, this is where the crazy guy lives. Why does he think he needs a gun just to give candy to kids?

Maybe they'll have seen this report and now understand.

Shoobee

I know people were waiting for these stories so here you go. I saw this on the news last night.

http://www.q13fox.com/news/kcpq-grim-reapers-suspects-in-beacon-hill-halloween-home-invasion-20121101,0,3101487.story

This was exactly the reason I was OC'ing on Halloween. Every Trick or Treater that came to my door was greeted with a bowl of candy, a smile, and my 1911 on my hip. I would step outside the door with the candy in my support hand and while the TorT'ers were collecting their bounty I would survey the parents watching (A few definitely saw the 1911) and the rest of the street looking for anything out of the ordinary. You know, like unusually tall goblins walking down the street.

I wonder how many of my neighbors were thinking, Oh, this is where the crazy guy lives. Why does he think he needs a gun just to give candy to kids?

Too many Dirty Harry and Spaghetti Western movies have brainwashed people into thinking that when they are outnumbered and outgunned they can still shoot their way out of a bad situation.

It does not work like that. If you even open your door to anyone in a group that wants to invade your home you have already lost no matter what is on your hip, CCW or OC.

I think for the benefit of my neighbors I would have carried CCW instead, in your case.

You are right, they probably think you are the crazy PTSD Army guy down the street.

Thank you for your service to our nation however. I thank you.

I stood watch in my day, and I thank you for standing watch now today.

decklin

Too many Dirty Harry and Spaghetti Western movies have brainwashed people into thinking that when they are outnumbered and outgunned they can still shoot their way out of a bad situation.

It does not work like that. If you even open your door to anyone in a group that wants to invade your home you have already lost no matter what is on your hip, CCW or OC.

I think for the benefit of my neighbors I would have carried CCW instead, in your case.

You are right, they probably think you are the crazy PTSD Army guy down the street.

I understand the difference between reality and a movie.

The idea is not to take out the group of people. The idea is deterrence. These guys drew after the door was opened and forced their way in. The person robbed very well could have been CC'ing.

Now have the person OC'ing. OC'er answers the door, BG's see gun and promptly leave.

They leave because you have presented yourself as a hard target. They are looking for a soft target.

Thank you for your service as well.

bmg50cal

I'd keep my eye on anyone dressed as FFL and just slowly back away becuase they're just plum crazy. On another hand, I'd stain myself and run for the hills if a ghurka answered to the door with blade in hand. A man with a 1911 just isn't a much of a threat. ;)

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I dress up as a Werewolf every Halloween just for this very issue. If a home invasion occurs it is unlikely the criminals have a silver bullet and thus I am invincible.
:banana::monkey:banana::monkey

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

Your neighbors are not the only ones wondering!

Another fine example of not considering all the factors surrounding an event as Halloween, dress up for the part or cover it up but of course we then would not be able to come here and tell everyone how I stood up for my Open Carry Ability. :banghead:

sudden valley gunner

Another fine example of not considering all the factors surrounding an event as Halloween, dress up for the part or cover it up but of course we then would not be able to come here and tell everyone how I stood up for my Open Carry Ability. :banghead:

Why should he cover it up? Why not OC or is this another think of the children comment?

hermannr

You ses, you missed the mark here. You OC so you DO NOT have to use the weapon. 99% maybe even 99.9% of the bad guys have no desire to do something that may cause harm to THEMSELVES...Hense, when you OC, you put them on notice that you can (and presumably will) resist. That raises the odds that they will be harmed a lot, and their desire to do you harm decreases proportionately.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
...I wonder how many of my neighbors were thinking, Oh, this is where the crazy guy lives. Why does he think he needs a gun just to give candy to kids?...

Maybe.

But afterward, every single one of them had to realize that they had been next to a man with a gun and NOTHING HAPPENED.

Carry on.

Bill Starks

State Researcher
The night before Halloween my step-son was visiting with friends when two guys walked thru the door with guns in hand and robbed everyone in the place. At one point he said the guy had the 1911 within inches from his face....Luckily he had all his stuff in his backpack in another room and lost nothing.

they took wallets, cash, watches, 420 green cards, anything they could pocket

decklin

I don't understand your comment at all. I don't OC to make a statement or show off. I OC for protection.

People dress their kids up in costumes so they can go door to door in the dark begging for candy from strangers but somehow me OC'ing in my own home on my property is weird? Get real.

decklin

The night before Halloween my step-son was visiting with friends when two guys walked thru the door with guns in hand and robbed everyone in the place. At one point he said the guy had the 1911 within inches from his face....Luckily he had all his stuff in his backpack in another room and lost nothing.

I'm glad he's ok. That had to freak him out.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I don't understand your comment at all. I don't OC to make a statement or show off. I OC for protection.

People dress their kids up in costumes so they can go door to door in the dark begging for candy from strangers but somehow me OC'ing in my own home on my property is weird? Get real.

One carries a firearm for protection, one open carriers as a statement but some are just to narcissistic to have the ability to relate.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

I'm glad he's ok. That had to freak him out.

Really LOL there has to be a pun in there somewhere "420 green cards" there isn't that many in the State.

amlevin

My wife and I quit the "Trick or Treat" routine several years ago. It was no longer neighborhood kids, but van loads of kids from other parts of the City unloading in our neighborhood for the "better treats". Also got far too many "too tall goblins" to feel comfortable about.

Now, come Halloween Night, the porch light is out and we don't open the door for anyone, period. If our grandkids want to come over, fine. They call ahead.
As usual, yesterday's traditions have been altered due to the increase in criminal activity.

sudden valley gunner

Some people like the "tactical advantage" of CC, they are not looking for a deterrent and may be looking for a chance....

And who cares if you were carrying for a statement, it's your life your gun, your choice.

Contrarian

Halloween

A few years ago I went trick or treating, dressed as a cowboy, with my grand-daughter .

Plaid 'cowboy' shirt, jeans, correct hat [of course] and my 1858 Remington .44..

No one said Boo - well, a few did, but only in the spirit of the holiday.

OC of course.

Last edited:

Riana

A few years ago I went trick or treating, dressed as a cowboy, with my grand-daughter .

Plaid 'cowboy' shirt, jeans, correct hat [of course] and my 1858 Remington .44..

No one said Boo - well, a few did, but only in the spirit of the holiday.

OC of course.

I did something similar. The last year my son trick-or-treated, I walked along with the trailing group of parents, dressed as (not historically accurate) Annie Oakley. Suede jacket with long fringe, white cowboy hat, denim skirt, boots, my son's fake rifle (complete with orange tip), and my Model 19 on my hip. One of the moms who knew I worked at a gun shop noted the fake rifle and commented to me "Your costume would be even cooler if you had a real gun." I smiled, and replied, "I do have a real gun," patting my holster.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
Assumptious. Ignorant.

One makes a statement on how they dress to everyone around them, even if comb your hair or cut or do not cut it, it all makes a statement, carrying a hunting rifle makes a statement, does not it say he or she is a hunter and possibly hunting going to or from?

Open carrying is a statement either you like it or not and you can asked yourself, one of the main purposes of open carry is to what make it notable so it may become normal in most peoples eyes, that is a statement.

Now that you have been educated you are able to reduce your assumptions and ignorance upon others and then of course we have our narcissistic on this forum.