• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lewis County Courthouse

Munkey Butt

So if anyone has been to the Lewis County Courthouse they know that there are actually 2 building. 1 is the Law and justice center, there is a security check point right inside the door. The building across the street is and extension of the court house (auditor, licensing, etc) but no security in this portion of the building. At one point years ago there used to be a sky bridge between the two.

So to the point, I will be dropping off my Fiance and I's voters ballot and I am curious as to weather I am able to OC inside. Now I understand this is a state building with state offices inside but there is no one to check my firearm in with.

Do any of you folks have some insight on this?

-PJ

decklin

So if anyone has been to the Lewis County Courthouse they know that there are actually 2 building. 1 is the Law and justice center, there is a security check point right inside the door. The building across the street is and extension of the court house (auditor, licensing, etc) but no security in this portion of the building. At one point years ago there used to be a sky bridge between the two.

So to the point, I will be dropping off my Fiance and I's voters ballot and I am curious as to weather I am able to OC inside. Now I understand this is a state building with state offices inside but there is no one to check my firearm in with.

-PJ

RCW 9.41.300
Weapons prohibited in certain places -- Local laws and ordinances -- Exceptions -- Penalty.

(b) Those areas in any building which are used in connection with court proceedings, including courtrooms, jury rooms, judge's chambers, offices and areas used to conduct court business, waiting areas, and corridors adjacent to areas used in connection with court proceedings. The restricted areas do not include common areas of ingress and egress to the building that is used in connection with court proceedings, when it is possible to protect court areas without restricting ingress and egress to the building. The restricted areas shall be the minimum necessary to fulfill the objective of this subsection (1)(b).

For purposes of this subsection (1)(b), "weapon" means any firearm, explosive as defined in RCW 70.74.010, or any weapon of the kind usually known as slung shot, sand club, or metal knuckles, or any knife, dagger, dirk, or other similar weapon that is capable of causing death or bodily injury and is commonly used with the intent to cause death or bodily injury.

In addition, the local legislative authority shall provide either a stationary locked box sufficient in size for pistols and key to a weapon owner for weapon storage, or shall designate an official to receive weapons for safekeeping, during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building. The locked box or designated official shall be located within the same building used in connection with court proceedings. The local legislative authority shall be liable for any negligence causing damage to or loss of a weapon either placed in a locked box or left with an official during the owner's visit to restricted areas of the building.

The local judicial authority shall designate and clearly mark those areas where weapons are prohibited, and shall post notices at each entrance to the building of the prohibition against weapons in the restricted areas;

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

-PJ

I did not know State Offices were kept in County Buildings, interesting.

If there is a security check point then it should be do to being in conjunction with the courts, if it is court related then check your firearm and I take the other building you speak of is a County Building and Offices with out the Courts and No Security being legal to carry.