• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Concealed Carry Employment Discrimination

LOERetired

In Wisconsin you’re allowed to carry concealed in most State buildings. I work in one of those buildings as a computer operator. The agency I work at allows its workers to carry concealed and all I had to do was fill out a form notifying them I intend to carry concealed.

My manager requested a meeting with me which was suppose to be about going over the agencies concealed carry policy, but instead, turned out to be an anti carry meeting where he attempted to intimidate me into not carrying and asked if I would consider leaving the fire arm in my vehicle.

I was caught off guard by his (agency’s) attitude, but, held my ground and let him know that I would be carrying on my person while at work. Now I wonder if I will ever see a pay raise or promotion.

I googled concealed carry employment discrimination and discovered a bill that was introduced to prevent discrimination of those who carry concealed at work.

I wrote my legislative representative and included a copy of the bill asking her to introduce legislation for employees in Wisconsin to be protected. If you agree with me, then would you also send a letter to your reprehensive asking that the same type of bill be introduced in Wisconsin? Thanks

Attachments

• HB1621.pdf
    44.6 KB · Views: 74

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Here's what you do. Until that bill gets passed (and IF it passes), file a complaint with the WI Equal Rights Division for "discrimination in employment for use or non-use of a lawful product." You won't win the complaint because that law only covers use of a lawful product outside of work times and not on the employer's property. Doesn't matter if they reject your complaint outright or enter a decision against you: just make sure your boss knows you filed it by sending a copy to him/her. You WILL have gained protection against retaliation for having filed the complaint, even an invalid complaint. If you then feel that any detrimental action in employment is taken against you, you then file a RETALIATION complaint. The outcome of the previous complaint is not relevant. But many an employer has gotten caught retaliating against an employee for filing an earlier complaint, even when the earlier complaint was dismissed by Equal Rights.

MKEgal

I wonder how long your supervisor would last if he
a) required anyone who wanted to wear a [insert religious symbol or piece of clothing] to fill out a form notifying him of such
&/or
b) had a meeting with that employee to try to convince him/her not to do so

I think even the requirement to inform is wrong, probably illegal.

I like the proposed MO law protecting licensees. My rep & sen are hopelessly anti-rights, but I will send it to others whom I think will be more supportive. Heck, I'll send it to mine too, but I don't expect to even hear back from them, let alone that they'll support a civil-rights law. (Odd, since they're both black, & old enough to have benefitted from such laws themselves.)

davidmcbeth

Banned
He could likely fire you with any relief. The exceptions to at will employment will not be expanded to cover your rights to carry by any court.

Old Grump

I was caught off guard by his (agency’s) attitude, but, held my ground and let him know that I would be carrying on my person while at work. Now I wonder if I will ever see a pay raise or promotion.
I'm sorry to hear that but not at all surprised. There is a large silly group out there and they will never stop trying to intimidate good people into coming down to their standards. You know its bad when you are in a parking lot waiting for somebody and a stranger comes knocking on your window and gives you a hard time for reading an outdoor magazine about hunting because it had a gun on the cover. Fight for all of us is just beginning and I hope you follow through with filing a complaint and have all the facts gathered supporting your legal position. Unfortunately it's only beginning as the anti's change tactics.

M

McX

i'm finding this discrimination out as well, as i scrounge for a job if i mention i carry, my application goes right into the trash. gotta love em huh? as far as what you reported, they will condemn you into not carrying your gun, then if something happens, look to you and immediately expect you to defend them, or if they have successfully disarmed you, have the gall to ask you; where's your gun?! ****** is ******, and this world is full of them.

MKEgal

Old Grump said:
You know its bad when you are in a parking lot waiting for somebody and a stranger comes knocking on your window and gives you a hard time for reading an outdoor magazine about hunting because it had a gun on the cover.
I can't believe someone would be so rude & stupid.
(But at the same time, unfortunately, I can believe it.)
We're back to the whole thing about "if I'm so scary why are you antagonizing me?".
I suppose you're lucky they didn't call the police. :uhoh:

McX said:
if something happens, look to you and immediately expect you to defend them
Similarly, a neighbor (who is constantly needing something or another) once happened to see a couple packages of TP I'd left in my garage (until I could carry them downstairs), & immediately declared that he knew where to come if he ran out. Definitely won't be mentioning any of my other emergency plans to him.

Archangel

You know its bad when you are in a parking lot waiting for somebody and a stranger comes knocking on your window and gives you a hard time for reading an outdoor magazine about hunting because it had a gun on the cover.
I always am amused when I'm reading gun mags on airplanes....

I can't help it (nor do I care) about hoplophobes not liking my choice in reading material....

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
I always am amused when I'm reading gun mags on airplanes....

I can't help it (nor do I care) about hoplophobes not liking my choice in reading material....

I almost ALWAYS take gun magazines on planes. They may infringe on my ability to carry a gun, but they sure as hell aren't going to infringe on my right to read about them.