• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I think there was a rape.

eye95

Normally, I can only hear muffled sounds from my neighboring apartments and only when they are loud. So it was surprising when I heard what sounded like a woman saying, "Get off me!" loudly enough and clearly enough for me to unmistakably understand--even with my normally tricky hearing. I had just gone to bed, and the exclamation seemed to be coming from the apartment below. It could have been something harmless like a pet jumping into her lap or even some friendly wrestling.

However, when the demand was repeated over and over, got even louder, and took on a screaming rather than just yelling quality, I took note. The constant "Get off me!" was now being interspersed with "No!" "Stop it!" and "Don't do that!" so I decided to try to find the source of the screaming, and see if I could help. I went downstairs and stood at the door. I could hear the TV in the front room, but could not make out what was on it. From what seemed further back in the apartment, I could make out the same four demands I had heard from my bedroom. I knocked on the door. The demands ceased, but the TV kept going. After waiting about half a minute, I heard muffled voices but could not make out what was being said. I knocked again and asked if anyone needed help. Still no reply but again the voices stopped.

Later, the demands of "Get off me!" started again. I pounded on the door and asked if I needed to call 911. Not knowing what was going on made me hesitant to take that step. By this time, another couple from the building came by on their way to go do laundry. They were curious, but did not seem to want to get involved. The most they would do is to try knocking on the door once and offer his phone number in case I felt I needed help later. Oh, and they also gave the local PD dispatch number. Off they went to do laundry.

After hearing more demands start up in the apartment once more, I again pounded on the door and announced that unless I heard otherwise, I was calling 911. After getting no answer, I called the dispatch. I have no idea what will happen with my Alabama cell if I call 911 in Ohio. Twenty-odd minutes later, a patrol car arrived. (When seconds count, the police are almost half an hour away!) I relayed my observations and actions to the lone responding officer and went back to my apartment. I listened through my partly opened door as the officer seemed to be walking around the hallway below. He was probably listening for activity from the apartment. Hearing nothing (the screaming had long since stopped), he knocked on the door. As happened to me, his knocking met with no response. He knocked again and announced, "Police." Nothing. He knocked a few more times, still announcing, and finally a woman opened the door. I could hear his half of the conversation, but not hers. He asked if she was OK. Based on what he was saying, I concluded that her responses led him to believe that there was nothing he could do, and he left.

I shut and latched my door and prepared to return to bed. I could hear voices coming from and movement about the apartment below. One of the voices seemed to be a man. I could not make out what was being said. However, since I could tell that people were talking, that talking had to be fairly loud. It just wasn't the loud screaming and yelling that allowed me to understand the words. It was still loud and concerned me. I did a quick check of my Glock and moved it from its usual nighttime resting place inside my closet in its holster to on the dresser, unholstered.

Nothing further happened, and after about an hour and a half, probably somewhere around 2 am, I finally drifted off. No indications of any repercussions this morning. What happened last night sure sounded like an assault, quite probably sexual. I hope that my intervention, minimal as it was, somehow mitigated the attack. I don't know, and I wonder if there will be repercussions. The woman, if she was indeed attacked, did not welcome any assistance. So, even if my actions helped her, she ain't ever gonna want to have anything to do with the interloper upstairs. The perp, if he was a perp, sure ain't gonna be happy with the guy that almost got him arrested.

I keep running over in my mind whether I chose the right course of action. I think I did. No direct intervention, since I had incomplete information, but called on someone who could intervene in exigent circumstances. Those circumstances clearly did not develop while the officer was there, but that could be because the situation was quelled--which may have been the only possible positive outcome.

Oh, well. I just needed to get this off my chest, and I currently don't have a Wendy right here. *sniff* Also, it is good to get my recollections down in writing should I need to be refreshed on them.

I know some of you would have done nothing, some would have gone in with guns-a-blazing, and some would have taken some alternate in between action. So constructive comments are welcome. I can't stop destructive comments, but I hope they are kept to a minimum. Fire...er...post away!

On edit: I think the belongs in the Social Lounge. I don't know why I put it in General. I did not OC at all during the goings on. Holsters do not attach to sweat pants well, and brandishing would have been a foolish course of action.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

It's good that you are concerned enough for others to care, unlike the others doing laundry. Brainwashed into non action.

Every situation is different and plays out differently, I hope it wasn't a rape and if it was I hope your actions thwarted it.

I think you did the what you thought best thank you for being a concerned and active civilian.

Freedom1Man

So you do have a decent side even if you are stubborn.

I hate dealing with the police however I do believe you did the right thing.

So, I hope you're safe and that she is also.

I would have called the police also, given the information that you have provided.

Deanimator

I had a similar incident back in the '90s, although it was DV rather than sexual assault.

The first time I heard the woman in the apartment above me screaming, I waited to hear anything else and when nothing happened, I didn't call the cops.

The second time, I called the cops. They came but [as usual] she claimed nothing had happened.

A short while later, the guy climbed out on the window ledge and threatened to jump.

I called the cops again and when he tried to fight them on the ledge, they jerked him back in and "subdued" him.

The last I saw of him, he was sitting handcuffed in the back of a squad car, banging his head on the side window glass, a la "COPS".

There's actually a lot more detail, but I'd rather get another cup of coffee than relate it.

I will state that this involved the Berea, Ohio Police Department, one of the few police departments I've ever seen that was more than a gang of thugs and low grade morons. I've actually seen them do the job of another law enforcement agency when it wouldn't do it itself. They're part of the 1% of cops made to look bad by the other 99%.

EMNofSeattle

I think he handled it the best he could've, I mean entering The apartment is a bad idea, if you don't know who lives there. It could be the tv or them playing a weird sex game or whatever. And if you obstruct the door you're now cornering a violent felon, something I wouldn't want to do while armed. Now if the woman was a relative or someone I knew well enough to know this is an assault I'm not waiting 20 minutes for the cops to show up, but the average neighbor? Well id do what eye95 did.

@Eye95 you should go to a cop store and get a nylon gun belt with a snap buckle. That way you can quickly mount the belt have a holster for your firearm if you need one quickly

Freedom1Man

Ya gotta work the insult in there don't you?

I'm done with you.

I did not know that calling someone stubborn was an insult.

I am stubborn and I know it. I am also hardheaded.

Now if I had called you wrong headed and stubborn that would have been an insult. I know of plenty of people on and off of here who are that way and I won't say who they are.

Fuller Malarkey

Ya gotta work the insult in there don't you?

I'm done with you.

If every real or implied insult YOU posted on this forum were removed, your post count would be cut in half.

"I'm done with you".

I didn't get the memo that your opinion established the legitimacy of other's views, understandings, or progress towards understanding. That your dismissal carry weight. That your application of tolerance or lack of it determined one's standing in this community.

I know I should marvel at your doing something responsible, like calling the cops when a situation indicated someone might require intervention, and should by reason of that act alone tolerate your boorish responses to all who disagree with you. I just haven't grown that much yet.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Sounds like a good handling.

One never knows what sort of "play" or scenario they might be imagining.

Something else to keep in mind, assuming it wasn't play, and based on the report, the woman's commands were probably working to a degree. Yes, the guy kept repeating, but it sure sounds like he temporarily yielded to the demand each time. As long as the guy kept coming back, it would tend to mean he was getting of off her in between commands. Which is just another way of saying, she still had some degree of control over the situation.

Last edited:

Shoobee

Normally, I can only hear muffled sounds from my neighboring apartments and only when they are loud. So it was surprising when I heard what sounded like a woman saying, "Get off me!" loudly enough and clearly enough for me to unmistakably understand--even with my normally tricky hearing. I had just gone to bed, and the exclamation seemed to be coming from the apartment below. It could have been something harmless like a pet jumping into her lap or even some friendly wrestling.

However, when the demand was repeated over and over, got even louder, and took on a screaming rather than just yelling quality, I took note. The constant "Get off me!" was now being interspersed with "No!" "Stop it!" and "Don't do that!" so I decided to try to find the source of the screaming, and see if I could help. I went downstairs and stood at the door. I could hear the TV in the front room, but could not make out what was on it. From what seemed further back in the apartment, I could make out the same four demands I had heard from my bedroom. I knocked on the door. The demands ceased, but the TV kept going. After waiting about half a minute, I heard muffled voices but could not make out what was being said. I knocked again and asked if anyone needed help. Still no reply but again the voices stopped.

Later, the demands of "Get off me!" started again. I pounded on the door and asked if I needed to call 911. Not knowing what was going on made me hesitant to take that step. By this time, another couple from the building came by on their way to go do laundry. They were curious, but did not seem to want to get involved. The most they would do is to try knocking on the door once and offer his phone number in case I felt I needed help later. Oh, and they also gave the local PD dispatch number. Off they went to do laundry.

After hearing more demands start up in the apartment once more, I again pounded on the door and announced that unless I heard otherwise, I was calling 911. After getting no answer, I called the dispatch. I have no idea what will happen with my Alabama cell if I call 911 in Ohio. Twenty-odd minutes later, a patrol car arrived. (When seconds count, the police are almost half an hour away!) I relayed my observations and actions to the lone responding officer and went back to my apartment. I listened through my partly opened door as the officer seemed to be walking around the hallway below. He was probably listening for activity from the apartment. Hearing nothing (the screaming had long since stopped), he knocked on the door. As happened to me, his knocking met with no response. He knocked again and announced, "Police." Nothing. He knocked a few more times, still announcing, and finally a woman opened the door. I could hear his half of the conversation, but not hers. He asked if she was OK. Based on what he was saying, I concluded that her responses led him to believe that there was nothing he could do, and he left.

I shut and latched my door and prepared to return to bed. I could hear voices coming from and movement about the apartment below. One of the voices seemed to be a man. I could not make out what was being said. However, since I could tell that people were talking, that talking had to be fairly loud. It just wasn't the loud screaming and yelling that allowed me to understand the words. It was still loud and concerned me. I did a quick check of my Glock and moved it from its usual nighttime resting place inside my closet in its holster to on the dresser, unholstered.

Nothing further happened, and after about an hour and a half, probably somewhere around 2 am, I finally drifted off. No indications of any repercussions this morning. What happened last night sure sounded like an assault, quite probably sexual. I hope that my intervention, minimal as it was, somehow mitigated the attack. I don't know, and I wonder if there will be repercussions. The woman, if she was indeed attacked, did not welcome any assistance. So, even if my actions helped her, she ain't ever gonna want to have anything to do with the interloper upstairs. The perp, if he was a perp, sure ain't gonna be happy with the guy that almost got him arrested.

I keep running over in my mind whether I chose the right course of action. I think I did. No direct intervention, since I had incomplete information, but called on someone who could intervene in exigent circumstances. Those circumstances clearly did not develop while the officer was there, but that could be because the situation was quelled--which may have been the only possible positive outcome.

Oh, well. I just needed to get this off my chest, and I currently don't have a Wendy right here. *sniff* Also, it is good to get my recollections down in writing should I need to be refreshed on them.

I know some of you would have done nothing, some would have gone in with guns-a-blazing, and some would have taken some alternate in between action. So constructive comments are welcome. I can't stop destructive comments, but I hope they are kept to a minimum. Fire...er...post away!

On edit: I think the belongs in the Social Lounge. I don't know why I put it in General. I did not OC at all during the goings on. Holsters do not attach to sweat pants well, and brandishing would have been a foolish course of action.

Welcome to Ohio.

This is the state that will determine the outcome of the national election.

This particular female in your story sounds like she was not in the mood. Or else she started out in the mood and then changed her mind. Or else she finished first.

I am guessing she would be inclined to vote in favor of Roe V Wade and therefore if there are many others like her in Ohio then it does not look good for Romney there.

At any rate, a woman being raped does not normally cry out "get off me." Do ya think???

Shoobee

I think he handled it the best he could've, I mean entering The apartment is a bad idea, if you don't know who lives there. It could be the tv or them playing a weird sex game or whatever. And if you obstruct the door you're now cornering a violent felon, something I wouldn't want to do while armed. Now if the woman was a relative or someone I knew well enough to know this is an assault I'm not waiting 20 minutes for the cops to show up, but the average neighbor? Well id do what eye95 did.

@Eye95 you should go to a cop store and get a nylon gun belt with a snap buckle. That way you can quickly mount the belt have a holster for your firearm if you need one quickly

Yup, the "weird sex games" all being variations of "stop it stop it I love it."

It is never a good idea to interrupt your neighbors during their wierd sex games.

:D

EMNofSeattle

Yup, the "weird sex games" all being variations of "stop it stop it I love it."

It is never a good idea to interrupt your neighbors during their wierd sex games.

:D

Well some people get turned on by being placed in handcuffs while being struck with a whip, that shnit I don't want to know about, if it's someone I don't know I'll call the cops and let them sort it out....

People are strange. and I'm sure as hell not going to open the door and find out for myself. since most apartments only have one way in or out of the unit If I open the door and it really is a rape I'm now obstructing a violent felon who may be armed from leaving and I'm not trained to take these people on.

And if it is a wierd sex game going on now They're going to file trespassing charges and if I was armed while doing so the PA may even a home invasion charge. no thanks. If I decide I want to do all that I'll go down to the precinct and apply to be a police officer. as an average citizen I'm here to look out for myself and my family, everyone else is observe and report.

eye95

You quoted the post, so I guess I'm stuck reading it.

I don't care if the screaming was part of some sick sex game. Once I heard it, I was morally obligated to do something. The only reasonable conclusion was that something bad was going and and someone was in trouble.

There is a reason I no longer read those posts and this post really illustrates it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Shoobee

Well some people get turned on by being placed in handcuffs while being struck with a whip, that shnit I don't want to know about, if it's someone I don't know I'll call the cops and let them sort it out....

People are strange. and I'm sure as hell not going to open the door and find out for myself. since most apartments only have one way in or out of the unit If I open the door and it really is a rape I'm now obstructing a violent felon who may be armed from leaving and I'm not trained to take these people on.

And if it is a wierd sex game going on now They're going to file trespassing charges and if I was armed while doing so the PA may even a home invasion charge. no thanks. If I decide I want to do all that I'll go down to the precinct and apply to be a police officer. as an average citizen I'm here to look out for myself and my family, everyone else is observe and report.

My first clue about weird sex games of the neighbors was the people downstairs in San Diego who were slapping each other during sex.

It was a hot night in more ways than one and they had their windows opened.

It was about 1 a.m. so they probably thought the other neighbors would not hear. Or else they were simply exhibitionists.

They were going at it, and at one point I heard her say "don't slap me in the face anyplace else is ok."

After that sentence, I totally ignored all their noises downstairs.

Once they got into a really big loud fight, but there was no way to know if it was for real or make believe.

Make believe is a popular kids game, which some adults never seem to grow out of.

Ergo I do not disagree with you.

It sounds like I95 landed himself in a really nice place in a really nice neighborhood in a state that will be crucial in determining the upcoming national elections on Tuesday. Lovely.

I am not too sure that Ohio is ready for a vigilante like I95 yet.

Last edited:

Shoobee

I don't care if the screaming was part of some sick sex game. Once I heard it, I was morally obligated to do something. The only reasonable conclusion was that something bad was going and and someone was in trouble.

There is a reason I no longer read those posts and this post really illustrates it.

<o>

Pray tell where in the Bible with all the other moral obligations does it say one is obligated to interrupt other peoples' weird sex games?

I would like to see book, chapter, and verse.

It's definitely not one of the 10 commandments.

It's not anywhere else in Leviticus or Deuteronomy either.

And Jesus did not mention it in the sermon on the mount or in any of this other parables like the good Samaritan.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

<o>

You completely missed my point, I said what you did was the best course of action, I was stating you couldn't have done more without actually entering the unit and that's a bad idea for many reasons.

please read what I post in context.

Shoobee

You completely missed my point, I said what you did was the best course of action, I was stating you couldn't have done more without actually entering the unit and that's a bad idea for many reasons.

please read what I post in context.

His story reads more like that of a ticking time bomb though.

Ohio aint Alabama. That's what I tried to tell him the first time in another thread.

He missed the whole point and focused-in on 3 letters only though.

I am trying to direct him back to the Bible though. Ergo no moral obligations on his part.

If he reads the 7th commandment and cross references it to a Hebrew lexicon, he will see that it is only talking about swapping. That's what the original Hebrew word means.

And if he reads the New Testament and cross referenes it to a Greek lexicon, he will see that it is only talking about prostitution. That's what the original Greek word means.

Nothing in the Bible though about weird sex games. Ergo no moral obligations on his part.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

His story reads more like that of a ticking time bomb though.

Ohio aint Alabama. That's what I tried to tell him the first time in another thread.

He missed the whole point and focused-in on 3 letters only though.

I am trying to direct him back to the Bible though. Ergo no moral obligations on his part.

If he reads the 7th commandment and cross references it to a Hebrew lexicon, he will see that it is only talking about swapping. That's what the original Hebrew word means.

And if he reads the New Testament and cross referenes it to a Greek lexicon, he will see that it is only talking about prostitution. That's what the original Greek word means.

Nothing in the Bible though about weird sex games. Ergo no moral obligations on his part.

Well there's no moral obligation to break into your neighbors bedroom in a striped shirt with a whistle yelling "foul!" if your neighbors are doing some kind of wierd thing.

But if honestly believed a lady was being assaulted in her apartment, which he did believe and the belief judging from what he posted was reasonable then yes I believe it would be OK to call the cops. All I ever said was reasons not to actually enter the unit yourself as you don't know what's really happening

Shoobee

Well there's no moral obligation to break into your neighbors bedroom in a striped shirt with a whistle yelling "foul!" if your neighbors are doing some kind of wierd thing.

But if honestly believed a lady was being assaulted in her apartment, which he did believe and the belief judging from what he posted was reasonable then yes I believe it would be OK to call the cops. All I ever said was reasons not to actually enter the unit yourself as you don't know what's really happening

With all the LEOs being laid off across the country as property tax revenues and sales tax revenues of the municipalities go down, I doubt the LEOs would respond to the call.

It would be the 911 operator's job to question you nausiously to get all the kinky details to figure out if it is a "legitimate rape."

Oops, legitimate rape ... I thought you have to belong to a right to life group before you can utter those hallowed words???