Thread: Increasing acceptance of Open Carry

Increasing acceptance of Open Carry

I just returned 3 weeks ago from 13 months in Iraq. Since then I have criss crossed the state visiting my kids at colleges in Newport News and Radford VA as well as traveling out to Front Royal, through the valley and all over NOVA. I have carried every where. Mostly open carry and occasionally concealed. Not once have I had anyone say anything negative. No points and stares, no accusing questions, absolutely NO issues. Before I left 13 months ago to go to Iraq, I would have someone say something just about every time I open carried, but since returning nothing. I have received a few positive comments and had a few very nice conversations on the topic, but no issues.

I don't know if others have noticed a trend toward more acceptance of open carry, but I sure have and I am very pleased. I hope this trend continues and that I will see more people like me walking the streets of VA with their favorite side arm.

Paul

Moderator / Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dyver1 View Post
    I just returned 3 weeks ago from 13 months in Iraq. Since then I have criss crossed the state visiting my kids at colleges in Newport News and Radford VA as well as traveling out to Front Royal, through the valley and all over NOVA. I have carried every where. Mostly open carry and occasionally concealed. Not once have I had anyone say anything negative. No points and stares, no accusing questions, absolutely NO issues. Before I left 13 months ago to go to Iraq, I would have someone say something just about every time I open carried, but since returning nothing. I have received a few positive comments and had a few very nice conversations on the topic, but no issues.

I don't know if others have noticed a trend toward more acceptance of open carry, but I sure have and I am very pleased. I hope this trend continues and that I will see more people like me walking the streets of VA with their favorite side arm.

Paul
    I think open carry is increasingly accepted, yes. Especially when performed by people acting normally going about their business. Carry on!

Regular Member Geoffrey Griffith's Avatar

Paul
    It is. Today I went to Old Rag Mountain. Walked up to check in the ranger station not 1 problem. Even the 2 people on the trail who said something were polite and curious and pleased to hear the law(the posted signs still say no weapons). Also had dinner at the Outback in Front Royal. If your in Old Town Alexandria I am sure you will see me out and about.

Paul
    Thanks for your service to our country!
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

Paul
    First I want to thank you for your service to our country. I have also been seeing more people, men and women, OC'ing down here in VB. Food Lions, Farm Fresh, walking around in the hood. Seen a fellow OC'er in Wally World (Walmart) and had a good conversation on self defense ammo for a .45.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

Founder's Club Member - Moderator ed's Avatar
    Loudoun County - Dulles Airport, Virginia, USA

Paul
    Weekly breakfasts and OC dinners help. Sometimes at breakfast we have 40+ people.. most OC then go about the rest of their day OC.. (that otherwise would not for whatever reason).

Ed
    Carry On.

Ed

VirginiaOpenCarry.Org (Coins, Shirts and Patches)
    - - - -
    For VA Open Carry Cards send a S.A.2S.E. to: Ed's OC cards, Box 16143, Wash DC 20041-6143 (they are free but some folks enclose a couple bucks too)

From my perspective of open carrying fairly regularly since the mid- 90's I have to say I had very little difficulty overall, and in recent years have had practically no comments except for positive ones or questions about my rig. We fought the worst of the battles in the late 90's, some of them in court, but all the publicity helped the public learn that open carry is permissible and not the cause of any violence or disorder.

I oc'd for more than an hour at Wal-Mart today. It was pretty crowded but no one said a word about my firearm. This is how it almost always is, and the way it should be. In the early days, some of our critics said we open carried just to get attention and stir up trouble. They never say that anymore, because nothing could be further from the truth!

I belive open carry is becoming more,and more accepted.I know here in Idaho,it seems to be compleatly accepted.I have not had a single bad experience.I just wish I could see someone else open carrying in my area,so I dont feel so alone.

Paul
    Just curious, did you go on campus and into school buildings at Radford? Radford, along with many of the other state schools, has changed their policies to officially ban the carry of handguns in the buildings on campus.

TFred

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey Griffith View Post
    It is. Today I went to Old Rag Mountain. Walked up to check in the ranger station not 1 problem. Even the 2 people on the trail who said something were polite and curious and pleased to hear the law(the posted signs still say no weapons). Also had dinner at the Outback in Front Royal. If your in Old Town Alexandria I am sure you will see me out and about.
    If you want a real treat the next time you are up in Front Royal, visit the Melting Pot Pizza restaurant. Best pizza you'll ever experience. I doesn't look like, doesn't smell like, and doesn't taste like the typical pizzas we are so accustomed to getting. It is even cut differently. I recommend ordering it "All The Way". Just the best and a local legend in FR.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch Uncle View Post
    From my perspective of open carrying fairly regularly since the mid- 90's I have to say I had very little difficulty overall, and in recent years have had practically no comments except for positive ones or questions about my rig. We fought the worst of the battles in the late 90's, some of them in court, but all the publicity helped the public learn that open carry is permissible and not the cause of any violence or disorder.

I oc'd for more than an hour at Wal-Mart today. It was pretty crowded but no one said a word about my firearm. This is how it almost always is, and the way it should be. In the early days, some of our critics said we open carried just to get attention and stir up trouble. They never say that anymore, because nothing could be further from the truth!
    Oh yes they do. Just visit some of the other websites and you'll quickly see that there is still a very strong bias against OC'ers from CC'ers. The arguments continue.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Open Carry at Radford

Quote Originally Posted by TFred View Post
    Just curious, did you go on campus and into school buildings at Radford? Radford, along with many of the other state schools, has changed their policies to officially ban the carry of handguns in the buildings on campus.

TFred
    My time at Radford was not spent on campus per say. I went into my son's apartment which is owned by Radford, but kind of on the far edge of campus, so I can't say I experienced actually walking across the main part of campus.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Oh yes they do. Just visit some of the other websites and you'll quickly see that there is still a very strong bias against OC'ers from CC'ers. The arguments continue.
    Yep!
    Pogo was a Prophet.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    Bah! Then they are idiots. OC/CC... who cares, just carry however you're comfortable and don't complain about others. =)

... OC is more comfortable. >_>
    Last edited by Numenor; 11-14-2012 at 03:49 PM.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Numenor View Post
    Bah! Then they are idiots. OC/CC... who cares, just carry however you're comfortable and don't complain about others. =)

... OC is more comfortable. >_>
    Yep....until one group starts thinking they are special!

been OCing the 2 days now and it really feels like I am out of place..lol I feel like I'm the one in the wrong after all these years of not doing it