• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Guns at work law

Roughneckreed

Hello, i live in alabama but work in northwest la. So glad to be in yalls fine state. Lets begin. I was having a conversation with a boss of mine, who is 2a friendly. The discussion came up on my handgun and that I could be ran off for having it in the truck. I stated that la was a guns at work state and it was totally legal for me to have it in the truck as long as it stayed there and doors were locked. He told me that it was against company policy to have a gun regardless of the law. I lead him to senate bill 51 and explained that it was, once again legal. He said I could still be fired because of the policy. If I'm correct, state laws supersede policies set by company's. any legal advice would be nice. Thanks in advance.

davidmcbeth

Banned
Even if you assume that the law says you can carry ... and you get fired ... what is going to be your relief? Nothing. Look up "at will employee"

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Even if you assume that the law says you can carry ... and you get fired ... what is going to be your relief? Nothing. Look up "at will employee"

This. Unless you are in a union you're out of luck.

Not quite correct - but ....

Sure you could sue them (or file some sort of EEO complaint with the La state folks) for wrongful termination, as well as apply for unemployment benefits under the same theory. There isn't likely to be an attorney willing to take the case on a contingency basis, so you will have to commit rather large amounts of money to the effort. And other than recovering your costs and back salary from date of termination to date of ruling, I doubt you would see much more in the way of damages awards.

You could ask the court to reinstate you, but would you want to go back to work there (other than the first day so you could twell them how you feel and quit)? Claiming reprisal is easy but proving it is difficult.

More important, from where I sit well outside the immediate issue, is that the OP is now "on record" with his boss (2A supporter that he might be - right up until his own job is on the line). I'm willing to guess that the company policy says they can ask you to unlock you car and poke around inside any time they want. Those policies almost always say refusal is grounds for termination - which can be avoided by quitting on the spot.

Sometimes it is better to limit 2A conversations at work to hunting and what that crazy Ted Nugent has gotten himself up to this time. Maybe go way out on a limb and talk aout playing IDPA/IPSIC. But personal self defense? That's a personal matter. Don't talk about that or what you and your lady did last night. It sucks to be caught in that situation, but sometimes it is discretion and continued employment or ....

stay safe.

rmansu2

I agree with OP that it is legal, but as has been already said, what are you willing to do if he fires you?

I have a similar issue where I am employees by an outside firm to work at a plant. The plant has visitor parking outside the gates that is accessible by the public. Legally I can have it in my truck. If the plant decides to do a search and I refuse or they find it, I would be banned from the facility. My firm would then have to find me somewhere else or let me go. Which do you think is more likely?