Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Belt buckle pistols

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2

    Belt buckle pistols

    Hello, I am new to this forum. The knowledge and experiences shared by members are very enlightening and educational! I would like to solicit answers/opinions on whether the wearing of "belt buckle guns" such as NORTH AMERICAN NAA22 WITH BELT BUCKLE constitutes 'concealed' or 'open carry' usage.

    Also, any feedback from current or past owners on the effectiveness/value of such weapons would be welcomed.

  2. #2
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sawn_tony View Post
    Hello, I am new to this forum. The knowledge and experiences shared by members are very enlightening and educational! I would like to solicit answers/opinions on whether the wearing of "belt buckle guns" such as NORTH AMERICAN NAA22 WITH BELT BUCKLE constitutes 'concealed' or 'open carry' usage.

    Also, any feedback from current or past owners on the effectiveness/value of such weapons would be welcomed.
    Well that sounds like it would meet the legal criteria of an AOW under federal law which means you must obtain a tax stamp for your belt buckle pistol first.
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2

    I think you're right...AOW!

    Quote Originally Posted by 2sawn_tony View Post
    Hello, I am new to this forum. The knowledge and experiences shared by members are very enlightening and educational! I would like to solicit answers/opinions on whether the wearing of "belt buckle guns" such as NORTH AMERICAN NAA22 WITH BELT BUCKLE constitutes 'concealed' or 'open carry' usage.

    Also, any feedback from current or past owners on the effectiveness/value of such weapons would be welcomed.
    Thank you!! Like I said, members like yourself offer a wealth of knowledge! I was unfamiliar with the "AOW" classification. However, after researching that on the ATF website, I must agree with you. Thank you for your input.

  4. #4
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by 2sawn_tony View Post
    Hello, I am new to this forum. The knowledge and experiences shared by members are very enlightening and educational! I would like to solicit answers/opinions on whether the wearing of "belt buckle guns" such as NORTH AMERICAN NAA22 WITH BELT BUCKLE constitutes 'concealed' or 'open carry' usage.

    Also, any feedback from current or past owners on the effectiveness/value of such weapons would be welcomed.
    This has come up before. I think it will depend on the law in your state.

    For example, in VA our concealed weapons statute includes language about weapons that are open to view but are deceptive in appearance so you wouldn't immediately think it was a weapon. Other states may have similar.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  5. #5
    Regular Member 1245A Defender's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    north mason county, Washington, USA
    Posts
    4,381

    Well,,,

    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Well that sounds like it would meet the legal criteria of an AOW under federal law which means you must obtain a tax stamp for your belt buckle pistol first.
    This is pretty much true,,, because, the tiny gun in question, built into a belt buckle,
    Looks like it, "and has been ruled in court" that it may be, just a pretty design. Not easily desernable as a "fire arm"..

    If you are going to do it,,, do it right!!!
    notice,, my belt "buckle" is offset on my left hip,
    the gun is in a machine holder!



    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

    “If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

    Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

    All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

  6. #6
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    What did those poor grips do to you to deserve the treatment you gave them?!? If it's not an 8th Amendment violation it is as close as one could come to the line without crossing it.

    "What's the difference between custom gunsmithing and a Bubba'd job?"
    "The size of the nut behind the Dremel."

    For the OP - AOW paperwork is $5 and does not need signing off by the CLEO. Just remember to bring a laminated copy of your paperwork with you to show the cops who are probably going to want to ask you all sorts of questions while telling you it is illegal.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  7. #7
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    In NC belt buckle pistols are considered concealed, but full flap holsters are not, or so I was told by the Harnett magistrate. Fixed blade buckle knives are considered concealed also here. Though it would take a good search to realize there was a knife in the belt.

    IMO the belt buckle gun is not concealed, but my opinion does not count.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 11-05-2012 at 01:59 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  8. #8
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by 1245A Defender View Post
    Wow that gun is browned! Treat it with a thin coat of linseed oil over the brown, it will look more plum then.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  9. #9
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    earth's crust
    Posts
    17,838
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    In NC belt buckle pistols are considered concealed, but full flap holsters are not, or so I was told by the Harnett magistrate. Fixed blade buckle knives are considered concealed also here. Though it would take a good search to realize there was a knife in the belt.

    IMO the belt buckle gun is not concealed, but my opinion does not count.
    Word of warning: I would not trust what a magistrate says .... just sayin

    Keep the Faith!

  10. #10
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Wow that gun is browned! Treat it with a thin coat of linseed oil over the brown, it will look more plum then.
    Only one of those fabric groin holsters comes closer to compensating.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  11. #11
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by davidmcbeth View Post
    Word of warning: I would not trust what a magistrate says .... just sayin

    Keep the Faith!
    Here the magistrate decides whether you are going to jail or not. Can't lock anyone up without getting past her.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  12. #12
    Founder's Club Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Fairfax Co., VA
    Posts
    18,766
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Here the magistrate decides whether you are going to jail or not. Can't lock anyone up without getting past her.
    This point is valid as far as it goes. You just have to be sure to be in that jurisdiction when that magistrate is on duty.

    Being arrested somewhere else in the state or when a different magistrate is on duty may yield different results.

    I vaguely recall a situation where some OCers, at a restaurant in a state where restaurant OC was perfectly legal, were investigated by some cops. The cops even called the magistrate, who told them to arrest the OCers. It was another cop who explained the law to the confused cops and dissuaded them from arresting the OCers. I know that is a little different from what is being discussed, but my point is that even magistrates can get it wrong.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

    If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

    There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

  13. #13
    Regular Member WalkingWolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    12,276
    Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    This point is valid as far as it goes. You just have to be sure to be in that jurisdiction when that magistrate is on duty.

    Being arrested somewhere else in the state or when a different magistrate is on duty may yield different results.

    I vaguely recall a situation where some OCers, at a restaurant in a state where restaurant OC was perfectly legal, were investigated by some cops. The cops even called the magistrate, who told them to arrest the OCers. It was another cop who explained the law to the confused cops and dissuaded them from arresting the OCers. I know that is a little different from what is being discussed, but my point is that even magistrates can get it wrong.
    Everybody can get it wrong, even judges, that is why we have higher court judges, who also occasionally get it wrong. I have discussed it with the sheriff, a couple magistrates, each one a different county. I am confident I will not have a affidavit signed on their word. NOW that does not mean I might get hassled anyway. Hell I was told you urinating in the bushes on the highway was an offense, supposedly a $500 fine. All a person can do is attempt to find a seemingly legit opinion, if it is not spelled out in law. Or hide in the house the rest of their life.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 11-05-2012 at 04:08 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

  14. #14
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    Well that sounds like it would meet the legal criteria of an AOW under federal law which means you must obtain a tax stamp for your belt buckle pistol first.
    Wouldn't it only be an AOW if it was capable of being fired while attached to the buckle? If the buckle is just a holster, I don't think it would be an AOW.

    As for being concealed, that would depend on state laws, yes. I've not heard of it being considered concealed in my state, and our definition is "not discernible by ordinary observation."
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

  15. #15
    Regular Member EMNofSeattle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    S. Kitsap, Washington state
    Posts
    3,763
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    Wouldn't it only be an AOW if it was capable of being fired while attached to the buckle? If the buckle is just a holster, I don't think it would be an AOW.

    As for being concealed, that would depend on state laws, yes. I've not heard of it being considered concealed in my state, and our definition is "not discernible by ordinary observation."
    well if the belt buckle IS the gun like this then yes. if it's just a holder like 1245A defender posted then it's not an AOW
    they love our milk and honey, but they preach about some other way of living, when they're running down my country man they're walkin' on the fightin side of me

    NRA Member

  16. #16
    Campaign Veteran skidmark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    North Chesterfield VA
    Posts
    10,682
    http://www.atf.gov/firearms/guides/i...n-nfa-aow.html BAFTEIEIO and sometines Y defines AOW with pictures of examples.

    Then there are the various states' definitions of "concealed weapon/handgun" that include some stuff that is out in plain sight but someone considers it deceptive in appearance.

    If you don't know how to look up statutes and find case law that interprets it, you need to take a course on doing so. The first, without te second, is downright dangerous because the courts often have ruled that water is in fact dry and the sun does not shine at noon.

    stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

    Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

    "No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

  17. #17
    Campaign Veteran MAC702's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Nevada
    Posts
    6,520
    Quote Originally Posted by EMNofSeattle View Post
    well if the belt buckle IS the gun like this then yes. if it's just a holder like 1245A defender posted then it's not an AOW
    That's the exact buckle I was remembering, too.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •