• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Voice Recorder Question

hrdware

So I was at the store checking out voice recorders over the weekend and it seemed that all the ones I saw used AA batteries.

First question is about how often do you have to replace these batteries?

Second question is, does anyone use a recorder with a rechargeable battery, something like a cell phone battery?

Fallschirjmäger

Last time I shopped, I didn't see any with built-in, rechargeable batteries and I'm rather glad of that. I'd much sooner use rechargeable AA's than have to purchase a new recorder when the built-in battery finally decided it had been charged enough times. I admit it's not quite as convenient to stick new/recharged batteries in every once in awhile, but I definitely prefer only replacing the battery to replacing the recorder.

My batteries last about a month, I only activate the recorder when I'm exiting my car and then erase and turn it back off (if I remember) once I'm back inside.

davidmcbeth

Banned
First question is about how often do you have to replace these batteries?

I wonder if this as actually able to be calculated ... 2 AA = ? watts/hrs available , then voltage @ amps of recorder to calculate watts used

???

I have seen 2.4 watt/hrs per AA referenced on the web ... so 2 would be 4.8 watt/hrs ...

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
NiMH rechargables with a rating of 2000mA or better should give you more than enough juice to run all day for several days, and are magnitudes better and last longer than NiCADs. Buy several sets - one in the recorder, one in the charger, and a spare charged set in your pocket. There are many places on the web that sell plastic battery cases that will keep your spares from getting all crudded up and from rattling around making more noise than a pocket full of spare change. (There are also adapters so you can use your AAA/AA batteries in decices that take C or D batteries. Yes, it is a case of size mattering.)

stay safe.

SFCRetired

I use plain old alkaline batteries in my Olympus VN-702PC, which is in almost daily use. I wind up replacing the batteries about every two or three days at worst. This recorder is voice activated and goes into a "Standby" mode when no one is talking. It also hooks directly to the USB port on my PC with a supplied cable for almost instantaneous downloading of recordings.

It takes a miniature flash card which boosts the recording time to 68 hours vs. the 34 hours using the internal memory.

Yeah, I'm real happy with it. Among the features is the option of turning off the LED that lights up when you're recording.

Now all I need is a remote mike for it so that I can put it somewhere besides my shirt pocket!!