• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Bronco Stadium- Posted no weapons?!

BiggSlic

Hi ya'll! New member here coming at you from the Eagle area. I stumbled across this site as I was researching what I saw at Bronco Stadium this last weekend.

I normally carry concealed but I think this issue involves open or concealed carry. As I was entering the stadium, I noticed the temporary printed board of rules that are brought out for display as you enter the stadium. First item on the list, "No weapons of any sort are allowed". I'm paraphrasing and I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of the rules.

I was under the impression that a state owned facility such as Bronco Stadium cannot enforce their own weapons policy and that any law-abiding citizen should be able to open or conceal carry anywhere on campus. Am I wrong on this?

Shoobee

You are not allowed to bring guns and knives into most stadiums now.

And at the Oakland Coliseum they use metal dectors and wands to make sure nobody does.

The Coliseum used to be the most heavily armed place in the world, even more than Kandahar.

Now everyone who goes in there must leave their guns and knives in their car.

It has turned out to be a good thing because now only fistfights erupt in the Coliseum, whereas all the shooting and knifings have been limited to the parking lots.

I don't know what Idaho is like.

BiggSlic

Should be that way, however... Universities get to make their own rules.

That's not the way I understand it. They can't make rules that say you can't open carry on campus so why would the stadium be any different?

Shoobee

That's not the way I understand it. They can't make rules that say you can't open carry on campus so why would the stadium be any different?

Jeeze boyz, bringing a gun into a stadium is like bringing a gun onto a plane.

On a plane if you shoot the gun the plane explodes due to cabin pressurization.

In the stadium if you shoot the gun you kill half a dozen people, get it???

The laws of physics and ballistics apply in Idaho just like anywhere else.

BiggSlic

You are not allowed to bring guns and knives into most stadiums now.

I don't know what Idaho is like.

I can assure you, Idaho is the antithesis to California. Idaho actually has laws that promote and protect the 2nd amendment.

In the stadium if you shoot the gun you kill half a dozen people, get it???

The laws of physics and ballistics apply in Idaho just like anywhere else.

Cops bring guns into planes and stadiums all the time.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Surly we recognize hyperbole and sarcasm.:uhoh:

Guns in stadiums and coliseums? What would have been the result if Christians had been allowed to adequately defend themselves in the Roman "games"? Can't risk hurting the aggressive predators can we"?

carracer

Colleges in Id were granted an exception clear back in the 1800's. There has been effort to overturn it. Keeps getting blocked by an Eastern Idaho politician whose son was killed at an off campus booze party by a concealed permit holder. He gets really emotional during the proceedings and derails it.

Shoobee

Colleges in Id were granted an exception clear back in the 1800's. There has been effort to overturn it. Keeps getting blocked by an Eastern Idaho politician whose son was killed at an off campus booze party by a concealed permit holder. He gets really emotional during the proceedings and derails it.

Emotional appeals like that although illogical often sell like hotcakes.

College kids being armed with guns is also a controversial topic because their brains are not fully developed until about the age of 25 years so basically you have the same issues as with high schoolers except that college kids are allowed to drink and vote. The drinking probably makes the gun issue even worse.

Still a gun is going to do you little good in a stadium. A baton or a can of mace spray would be much better.

BiggSlic

Still a gun is going to do you little good in a stadium. A baton or a can of mace spray would be much better.

I agree completely.

However, for the life of me I cannot find anywhere in the state laws that says you cannot take a handgun onto any college campus, or a stadium on campus. If anyone knows where it is please let me know.

Shoobee

I can assure you, Idaho is the antithesis to California. Idaho actually has laws that promote and protect the 2nd amendment.

Cops bring guns into planes and stadiums all the time.

First, you need to read what Scalia says about the States before you misinterpret the 2nd Amendment as applying to state carry regulations, which it does not. Scalia comes right out and says this:

http://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/07pdf/07-290.pdf

Secondly, the air police that are armed have special low velocity ammo. Even so they know not to shoot inside of an aircraft.

You are correct about Idaho being the antithesis. In more ways than you probably could imagine.

Last edited:

Shoobee

Surly we recognize hyperbole and sarcasm.:uhoh:

Guns in stadiums and coliseums? What would have been the result if Christians had been allowed to adequately defend themselves in the Roman "games"? Can't risk hurting the aggressive predators can we"?

Grapeshot I dont know how you managed to segway over to the Roman Empire's persecutions of Christians on a gun issue.

Not sure what to say about that.

Guns weren't invented yet.

The Chinese had not yet invented them.

The Germans had not yet perfected them.

And Kalashnikov and Stoner had not yet copied the German sturmgewehr designs to come up with the AK-47 or the AR-15 yet.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Grapeshot I dont know how you managed to segway over to the Roman Empire's persecutions of Christians on a gun issue.

Not sure what to say about that.

Guns weren't invented yet.

The Chinese had not yet invented them.

The Germans had not yet perfected them.

And Kalashnikov and Stoner had not yet copied the German sturmgewehr designs to come up with the AK-47 or the AR-15 yet.

Having trouble making the trip are you?

Not having best available, most effective means of self defense close at hand has been utilized as a method of controling the common people throughout history.

I care but little what the Chinese, Germans, Russians and even our own gunsmiths have done. If you are at a disadvantage, at risk, defenseless, it matters not when you lived or where - you are more likely to be the victim. That holds equally true in Rome, London, or Idaho. Only the tools have changed.

You're welcome to the segway. I'll provide my own motivation. :)

WalkingWolf

That myth has long been busted, planes do not explode from cabin depressurization. Bringing a gun into a stadium is like bringing a gun into a stadium, just like anywhere else. I would like to see cites if there is any on mayhem caused by bringing a gun into a stadium.

Shoobee

Having trouble making the trip are you?

Not having best available, most effective means of self defense close at hand has been utilized as a method of controling the common people throughout history.

I care but little what the Chinese, Germans, Russians and even our own gunsmiths have done. If you are at a disadvantage, at risk, defenseless, it matters not when you lived or where - you are more likely to be the victim. That holds equally true in Rome, London, or Idaho. Only the tools have changed.

You're welcome to the segway. I'll provide my own motivation. :)

It all depends on whom you are trying to defend yourself against. Segwaying back to guns, you will never be able to keep up with the military.

In their case only numbers and huge mass protests, armed, is the only way to cope with them.

If Nixon had tried to pull something and his party had supported him in it, then that is what it might have come down to.

Or if everyone had gotten really upset with the US Supreme Court in Bush v Gore, it might have come down to that then, but it did not. Fortunately Democrats are very law abiding citizens.

Scalia seems uncertain whether semi auto magazine fed gas operated "military like" rifles are covered in the 2nd Amendment or not.

He also asks whether the militia clause makes fully automatic weapons a right or not. Although he seems to be leaning towards them not away.

If he leans toward fully auto weapons, then semi auto ones seem like they would be a sure thing.

So far all that we really know about is handguns and shotguns and anything else for which there is a valid sporting reason (his words not mine) such as scoped hunting rifles are protected by the 2nd Amendment according to Scalia.

Putting the nonsense aside that 5.56's are hunting rifles, then the semi auto debate could go either way.

And then you could defend yourself against federal and state gladiators or lions as the case may be with semi autos, but even then you would be at a huge disadvantage against their fully autos and grenade launchers and rockets and tanks and artillery and air strikes.

Still does not make any sense to bring a gun to a sports arena though. Just saying.

Last edited:

DocWalker

Still does not make any sense to bring a gun to a sports arena though. Just saying.

I guess it doesn't make sense to take a gun anywhere until that one time you need it to save your life. I can't say with the conviction you have that "nobody" throught the history of sporting arena's has ever been assualted, stabbed, or killed while attending a game.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Shoobee

About as much sense as taking your gun to go watch a movie or out for breakfast at IHOP.

Or attending a church service or going to college.:uhoh:

IDEagleEye

Bottom Line

To the Original Poster, here's a "bottom line" answer to your question.

Colleges and Universities can really only enforce this against those they have power over. For example, if you are a student or employee and you are caught carrying (open or concealed) they can sanction you.

If you are not a student or employee, according to Idaho law, all they can really do is ask you to leave. If you don't leave, you can be charged with tresspass.

Same thing goes for other employers. I work for a local health care provider. They have a policy against weapons. I don't carry at work because I fear losing my job, but when I go to the "other" provider in town I carry right past their silly "scary black gun in a red circle with a slash" signs because all they can really do is ask me to leave.

Federal facilities are a different story, of course - even in Idaho, as are the locations prohibited by Idaho (courthouse, juvenile detention facility or jail, public or private school).

Last edited:

hermannr

To the Original Poster, here's a "bottom line" answer to your question.

Colleges and Universities can really only enforce this against those they have power over. For example, if you are a student or employee and you are caught carrying (open or concealed) they can sanction you.

If you are not a student or employee, according to Idaho law, all they can really do is ask you to leave. If you don't leave, you can be charged with tresspass.

Same thing goes for other employers. I work for a local health care provider. They have a policy against weapons. I don't carry at work because I fear losing my job, but when I go to the "other" provider in town I carry right past their silly "scary black gun in a red circle with a slash" signs because all they can really do is ask me to leave.

Federal facilities are a different story, of course - even in Idaho, as are the locations prohibited by Idaho (courthouse, juvenile detention facility or jail, public or private school).

I am not sure they can even tresspass you if you are in an area open to the general public.