Thread: Bronco Stadium- Posted no weapons?!

Bronco Stadium- Posted no weapons?!

Hi ya'll! New member here coming at you from the Eagle area. I stumbled across this site as I was researching what I saw at Bronco Stadium this last weekend.

I normally carry concealed but I think this issue involves open or concealed carry. As I was entering the stadium, I noticed the temporary printed board of rules that are brought out for display as you enter the stadium. First item on the list, "No weapons of any sort are allowed". I'm paraphrasing and I didn't get a chance to snap a picture of the rules.

I was under the impression that a state owned facility such as Bronco Stadium cannot enforce their own weapons policy and that any law-abiding citizen should be able to open or conceal carry anywhere on campus. Am I wrong on this?

Should be that way, however... Universities get to make their own rules.

Quote Originally Posted by carracer View Post
    Should be that way, however... Universities get to make their own rules.
    That's not the way I understand it. They can't make rules that say you can't open carry on campus so why would the stadium be any different?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    You are not allowed to bring guns and knives into most stadiums now.

I don't know what Idaho is like.
    I can assure you, Idaho is the antithesis to California. Idaho actually has laws that promote and protect the 2nd amendment.

Jeeze boyz, bringing a gun into a stadium is like bringing a gun onto a plane.

On a plane if you shoot the gun the plane explodes due to cabin pressurization.

In the stadium if you shoot the gun you kill half a dozen people, get it???

The laws of physics and ballistics apply in Idaho just like anywhere else.
    Cops bring guns into planes and stadiums all the time.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Surly we recognize hyperbole and sarcasm.

Guns in stadiums and coliseums? What would have been the result if Christians had been allowed to adequately defend themselves in the Roman "games"? Can't risk hurting the aggressive predators can we"?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Colleges in Id were granted an exception clear back in the 1800's. There has been effort to overturn it. Keeps getting blocked by an Eastern Idaho politician whose son was killed at an off campus booze party by a concealed permit holder. He gets really emotional during the proceedings and derails it.

Still a gun is going to do you little good in a stadium. A baton or a can of mace spray would be much better.
    I agree completely.

However, for the life of me I cannot find anywhere in the state laws that says you cannot take a handgun onto any college campus, or a stadium on campus. If anyone knows where it is please let me know.

Grapeshot I dont know how you managed to segway over to the Roman Empire's persecutions of Christians on a gun issue.

Not sure what to say about that.

Guns weren't invented yet.

The Chinese had not yet invented them.

The Germans had not yet perfected them.

And Kalashnikov and Stoner had not yet copied the German sturmgewehr designs to come up with the AK-47 or the AR-15 yet.
    Having trouble making the trip are you?

Not having best available, most effective means of self defense close at hand has been utilized as a method of controling the common people throughout history.

I care but little what the Chinese, Germans, Russians and even our own gunsmiths have done. If you are at a disadvantage, at risk, defenseless, it matters not when you lived or where - you are more likely to be the victim. That holds equally true in Rome, London, or Idaho. Only the tools have changed.

You're welcome to the segway. I'll provide my own motivation.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Jeeze boyz, bringing a gun into a stadium is like bringing a gun onto a plane.

On a plane if you shoot the gun the plane explodes due to cabin pressurization.
    That myth has long been busted, planes do not explode from cabin depressurization. Bringing a gun into a stadium is like bringing a gun into a stadium, just like anywhere else. I would like to see cites if there is any on mayhem caused by bringing a gun into a stadium.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Still does not make any sense to bring a gun to a sports arena though. Just saying.
    I guess it doesn't make sense to take a gun anywhere until that one time you need it to save your life. I can't say with the conviction you have that "nobody" throught the history of sporting arena's has ever been assualted, stabbed, or killed while attending a game.

Still does not make any sense to bring a gun to a sports arena though. Just saying.
    About as much sense as taking your gun to go watch a movie or out for breakfast at IHOP.
    Last edited by BigDeeeeeeee; 11-07-2012 at 11:25 AM.
    Darren

Pass the popcorn

Originally Posted by Shoobee

Quote Originally Posted by BigDeeeeeeee View Post
    About as much sense as taking your gun to go watch a movie or out for breakfast at IHOP.
    Or attending a church service or going to college.

Bottom Line

To the Original Poster, here's a "bottom line" answer to your question.

Colleges and Universities can really only enforce this against those they have power over. For example, if you are a student or employee and you are caught carrying (open or concealed) they can sanction you.

If you are not a student or employee, according to Idaho law, all they can really do is ask you to leave. If you don't leave, you can be charged with tresspass.

Same thing goes for other employers. I work for a local health care provider. They have a policy against weapons. I don't carry at work because I fear losing my job, but when I go to the "other" provider in town I carry right past their silly "scary black gun in a red circle with a slash" signs because all they can really do is ask me to leave.

Federal facilities are a different story, of course - even in Idaho, as are the locations prohibited by Idaho (courthouse, juvenile detention facility or jail, public or private school).
    Last edited by IDEagleEye; 12-17-2012 at 06:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IDEagleEye View Post

Colleges and Universities can really only enforce this against those they have power over. For example, if you are a student or employee and you are caught carrying (open or concealed) they can sanction you.

If you are not a student or employee, according to Idaho law, all they can really do is ask you to leave. If you don't leave, you can be charged with tresspass.

Same thing goes for other employers. I work for a local health care provider. They have a policy against weapons. I don't carry at work because I fear losing my job, but when I go to the "other" provider in town I carry right past their silly "scary black gun in a red circle with a slash" signs because all they can really do is ask me to leave.

Federal facilities are a different story, of course - even in Idaho, as are the locations prohibited by Idaho (courthouse, juvenile detention facility or jail, public or private school).
    I am not sure they can even tresspass you if you are in an area open to the general public.

Quote Originally Posted by IDEagleEye View Post

(I'm not a lawyer; this is not legal advise; this text is wholly and solely purposed as "informational")

A person can carry in a courthouse or on school grounds, public or private.

Idaho's Constitution, Article I, Section 1 reads:
    Section 1. INALIENABLE RIGHTS OF MAN. All men are by nature free and equal, and have certain inalienable rights, among which are enjoying and defending life and liberty; acquiring, possessing and protecting property; pursuing happiness and securing safety.
    [http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/IC/ArtISect1.htm]

In short, any and all code, laws, policies and/or regulations within Idaho State Code, or any Idaho Gov't (local, city, county, state) banning any method to which a person reasonably chooses toward securing safety and/or defending life could be challenged as state-unconstitutional.

Further, one could conclude that Article I, Section 11, the "Right to Bear Arms," is moot in that no "right" to carry is necessary given the right to defend life and secure safety.

That being noted, Idaho Code (IC) 18-3302D(4)(f) reads:
    ... a person or an employee of the school or school district who is authorized to carry a firearm with the permission of the board of trustees of the school district or the governing board.

(IC) 18-3302D(1)(a) reads:
    It shall be unlawful and is a misdemeanor for any person to possess a firearm or other deadly or dangerous weapon while on the property of a school or in those portions of any building, stadium or other structure on school grounds which, at the time of the violation, were being used for an activity sponsored by or through a school in this state or while riding school provided transportation.

(2)(e) "School" means a private or public elementary or secondary school

Thus, the "stadium" does not include Bronco Stadium.

Again, and for the OFFICIAL record, in all of this am I *NOT* advising any person(s) toward any action(s) contrary to the above noted Idaho Code and/or Idaho Constitution.
    Last edited by TechStuffBC; 12-22-2012 at 11:41 PM.