Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: OC to vote?

  1. #1
    Regular Member pfries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    182

    OC to vote?

    I cannot find anything restricting it short of being at a school or posted place.

    Thoughts, anyone going OC?

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    98
    Well, after reviewing TN carry laws and finding nothing against it, I will be providing the church I vote at isn't posted (I don't remember it being posted during the primaries).

  3. #3
    Regular Member pfries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    182
    No issues at my precinct

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    98

    Post

    No issues at mine either, except they didn't have any "I Voted" stickers for me to stick on my holster

    ETA: Remedied my lack of "I Voted" sticker by stopping at another districts polling placing and asking for one, which promptly went onto my holster!
    Last edited by Barnett3006; 11-06-2012 at 06:04 PM.

  5. #5
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Nashville, TN
    Posts
    4

    OC to vote?

    Early voting for me was at a prohibited place (gunbuster sign) and voting today was at a school.

  6. #6
    Regular Member pfries's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    East Tennessee
    Posts
    182
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkosaurus View Post
    Early voting for me was at a prohibited place (gunbuster sign) and voting today was at a school.
    I know you would have if you could have, you still get a a dancing banana in my book.

  7. #7
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Near Memphis
    Posts
    51
    my polling place is at city hall in my town :-( plus they put up the gun buster sign just in case. I did think that it was kinda strange that some police officers where outside standing around in uniform. I know that they aren't suppose to stand around to try to "intimidate" the voters LMAO.

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    53
    there is no legal difference between oc and cc in tennesee.

  9. #9
    Regular Member cjohnson44546's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    195
    I took my Carry Permit course at Range USA in the Memphis area... they told us, and its in their course booklet, that you can never carry a firearm to any polling or voting area under Federal Law... is this incorrect?

  10. #10
    Regular Member Fallschirmjäger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Georgia, USA
    Posts
    3,915
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    I took my Carry Permit course at Range USA in the Memphis area... they told us, and its in their course booklet, that you can never carry a firearm to any polling or voting area under Federal Law... is this incorrect?
    Short answer, "Nope"
    Longer answer, "ohhailetothemaxfreaking No, it's not illegal according to any Federal law."

    Some states prohibit carry at or around polling stations, and although I have no statistical basis to back it up, I suspect many of those laws came out of a desire to keep some people from intimidating other people into not voting.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 11-08-2013 at 03:41 PM.

  11. #11
    Regular Member Fallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    McKenzie Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    I took my Carry Permit course at Range USA in the Memphis area... they told us, and its in their course booklet, that you can never carry a firearm to any polling or voting area under Federal Law... is this incorrect?
    That is in correct in TN in general

    However if the polling place is in a school or is posted per 39-17-1359, then carry is illegal.

    As said, it is illegal in some states.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  12. #12
    Centurion
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Pleasant Grove, Utah, USA
    Posts
    3,828
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    That is in correct in TN in general

    However if the polling place is in a school or is posted per 39-17-1359, then carry is illegal.

    As said, it is illegal in some states.
    PER my understanding the legality of carry of a firearm or other weapon into or at a polling location is a matter of STATE LEVEL LAW. No federal law against it of which I am aware!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

    Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

  13. #13
    Regular Member Primus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    4,216
    http://www.theindianalawyer.com/laws.../article/29634

    You can. There was a lawsuit in regards.

  14. #14
    Regular Member Fallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    McKenzie Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    PER my understanding the legality of carry of a firearm or other weapon into or at a polling location is a matter of STATE LEVEL LAW. No federal law against it of which I am aware!
    That is correct.

    In TN schools are off limits 24/7 regardless of the use and so is any place posted per TN law in accordance with T.C.A. 39-17-1359
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Dandridge, TN
    Posts
    377
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    That is correct.

    In TN schools are off limits 24/7 regardless of the use and so is any place posted per TN law in accordance with T.C.A. 39-17-1359
    You can carry to drop off and pick up your children at a school as long as you/it remains in your car and you don't handle it it any way. I carried to vote in my polling place in Michigan many times without incident, but Tennessee is a different world compared to the other states in alot of ways.

  16. #16
    Regular Member Fallguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    McKenzie Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    705
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    You can carry to drop off and pick up your children at a school as long as you/it remains in your car and you don't handle it it any way. I carried to vote in my polling place in Michigan many times without incident, but Tennessee is a different world compared to the other states in alot of ways.
    That's correct but I don't know of any polling places at schools that the machines in the parking lot. I just assumed we were taking about carry on your person.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •