Thread: OC to vote?

OC to vote?

I cannot find anything restricting it short of being at a school or posted place.

Thoughts, anyone going OC?

Well, after reviewing TN carry laws and finding nothing against it, I will be providing the church I vote at isn't posted (I don't remember it being posted during the primaries).

No issues at my precinct

No issues at mine either, except they didn't have any "I Voted" stickers for me to stick on my holster

ETA: Remedied my lack of "I Voted" sticker by stopping at another districts polling placing and asking for one, which promptly went onto my holster!
    Last edited by Barnett3006; 11-06-2012 at 06:04 PM.

OC to vote?

Early voting for me was at a prohibited place (gunbuster sign) and voting today was at a school.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkosaurus View Post
    Early voting for me was at a prohibited place (gunbuster sign) and voting today was at a school.
    I know you would have if you could have, you still get a a dancing banana in my book.

my polling place is at city hall in my town :-( plus they put up the gun buster sign just in case. I did think that it was kinda strange that some police officers where outside standing around in uniform. I know that they aren't suppose to stand around to try to "intimidate" the voters LMAO.

there is no legal difference between oc and cc in tennesee.

I took my Carry Permit course at Range USA in the Memphis area... they told us, and its in their course booklet, that you can never carry a firearm to any polling or voting area under Federal Law... is this incorrect?

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    I took my Carry Permit course at Range USA in the Memphis area... they told us, and its in their course booklet, that you can never carry a firearm to any polling or voting area under Federal Law... is this incorrect?
    Short answer, "Nope"
    Longer answer, "ohhailetothemaxfreaking No, it's not illegal according to any Federal law."

Some states prohibit carry at or around polling stations, and although I have no statistical basis to back it up, I suspect many of those laws came out of a desire to keep some people from intimidating other people into not voting.
    Last edited by Fallschirmjäger; 11-08-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cjohnson44546 View Post
    That is in correct in TN in general

However if the polling place is in a school or is posted per 39-17-1359, then carry is illegal.

As said, it is illegal in some states.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Centurion
    Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    That is in correct in TN in general

However if the polling place is in a school or is posted per 39-17-1359, then carry is illegal.

As said, it is illegal in some states.
    PER my understanding the legality of carry of a firearm or other weapon into or at a polling location is a matter of STATE LEVEL LAW. No federal law against it of which I am aware!
    RIGHTS don't exist without RESPONSIBILITY!
    If one is not willing to stand for his rights, he doesn't have any Rights.
    I will strive to stand for the rights of ANY person, even those folks with whom I disagree!
    As said by SVG--- "I am not anti-COP, I am PRO-Citizen" and I'll add, PRO-Constitution.
    If the above makes me a RADICAL or EXTREME--- So be it!

Life Member NRA
    Life Member GOA
    2nd amendment says.... "...The right of the people to keep and bear arms SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED!"

http://www.theindianalawyer.com/laws.../article/29634

You can. There was a lawsuit in regards.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeSparky View Post
    PER my understanding the legality of carry of a firearm or other weapon into or at a polling location is a matter of STATE LEVEL LAW. No federal law against it of which I am aware!
    That is correct.

In TN schools are off limits 24/7 regardless of the use and so is any place posted per TN law in accordance with T.C.A. 39-17-1359
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." -- Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by Fallguy View Post
    That is correct.

In TN schools are off limits 24/7 regardless of the use and so is any place posted per TN law in accordance with T.C.A. 39-17-1359
    You can carry to drop off and pick up your children at a school as long as you/it remains in your car and you don't handle it it any way. I carried to vote in my polling place in Michigan many times without incident, but Tennessee is a different world compared to the other states in alot of ways.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken56 View Post
    You can carry to drop off and pick up your children at a school as long as you/it remains in your car and you don't handle it it any way. I carried to vote in my polling place in Michigan many times without incident, but Tennessee is a different world compared to the other states in alot of ways.
    That's correct but I don't know of any polling places at schools that the machines in the parking lot. I just assumed we were taking about carry on your person.