• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Take a bus ride in MD --- get recorded ??

MKEgal

Unfortunately, in a public place people have no reasonable expectation of privacy.
As long as they're allowed to record public servants on the job, I'd say it's fair.
Creepy, but fair.
To hold a private conversation, whisper in e.o. ear.

sudden valley gunner

Unfortunately, in a public place people have no reasonable expectation of privacy.
As long as they're allowed to record public servants on the job, I'd say it's fair.
Creepy, but fair.
To hold a private conversation, whisper in e.o. ear.

In my opinion public servants/employees, government don't have rights we do, in my opinion it isn't a two way street.

Jack House

If the company that owns and runs the buses want this, so be it. It's kinda needed in that regard. But as far as the government is concerned, I think they should be required to obtain warrants anytime they wish to actively spy on someone and should only be allowed to obtain warrants for specific reasons.

markand

Interesting, and perhaps ironic. MD is one of the states where you are NOT allowed to record a conversation without consent of all parties. I believe a case involving a citizen recording a MD state trooper during a traffic stop is in the courts. MD gets around its own law prohibiting such recordings by posting a sign on the bus to the effect that riders give consent by using the bus.

I wonder what value these recordings might be as a practical matter. It must be very hard to discern a conversation to any degree of reliability with all the background noise and other conversations going on.

Jack House

Cellphones have amazing background noise cancelling technology, and they're tiny little devices that get sold for prices ranging from free to a couple hundred.

I'm sure they can work something out for the buses. No need to worry! :p

As for MD's wiretapping laws: Don't you know? Laws only apply to the citizenry, not the state. Well, except the laws that benefit the state and it's sponsors.