• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anybody OC'ing and voting today? Can you?

ArmyVet73

I was thinking about OC'ing while voting at the church where my voting station is and wondering if it's ok and is anyone else planning on doing so also, in Oklahoma that is. I have been reading that people in other states have been doing it but Okla is behind in OC. Comments, thoughts, criticisms welcome lol.

Last edited:

hrdware

I was thinking about OC'ing while voting at the church where my voting station is and wondering if it's ok and is anyone else planning on doing so also, in Oklahoma that is. I have been reading that people in other states have been doing it but Okla is behind in OC. Comments, thoughts, criticisms welcome lol.

Obviously you can't carry and vote if you are voting at a school.

I called OSBI and they seem to interpret the law the same as I do. A church is private property and if the private property owner does not disallow it, then it is OK.

That being said however, the law also says carrying is prohibited when the government leases property for doing business with the public. Voting is definitely doing business with the public. I do not know if counties lease space from churches or if the church just does it as part of their civic duty. I tried calling the election board but their phones are busy today, go figure.

ArmyVet73

Thanks, I kind of figured it went something along those lines but I wasn't quite sure. Too bad cause it would be a great place to get the word out and show what Constitutional rights they are voting for and that what they vote for really matters.

hrdware

So I just verified this with my church, and the church does receive money from the election board for elections.

Therefore it seems the election board has leased the area for doing government business with the public and it then becomes a prohibited place.

gprod55

Voting

I open carried in the chruch and voted without incident. I also went to another church that my wife belongs too and open carried there, to deliver canned goods for food baskets. The line was extremely long there but had no problems entering the church. Unless there are signs posted to the contrary then you should have no problems.

hrdware

I open carried in the chruch and voted without incident. I also went to another church that my wife belongs too and open carried there, to deliver canned goods for food baskets. The line was extremely long there but had no problems entering the church. Unless there are signs posted to the contrary then you should have no problems.

But if you do have problems, you are no longer looking at trespassing charges. You could be charged with a misdemeanor and up to $500 in fines. Up to $250 for the violation, and then a $250 Administrative fine by OSBI if you have a handgun license.

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
I didn't carry into my precinct today. I disarmed and left it in the car with my dog. However, when asked for ID, I presented my Concealed Weapons License and was refused. I told them the law says state issued identification is sufficient, and they still refused to accept it. I had to go back to the car and get my passport. I will be filing a complaint tomorrow.

Ballot nazi doesn't get to decide which forms of state issues ID are acceptable.

Robert318

@ethansisson

Its unfortunate that their are so many naive people and the only source of knowledge for the law or rights of the people is whatever bias news media they watch or read instead of reading factual data/law.:cuss::banghead::banghead:

I want to say it sounds to me like you did the right things, first verifing whether or not the state election board had paid for the use of the facility and secondly keeping your cool, and thirdly standing up for not only your rights but all lawful gun owners/carriers.

Thank you for dealing with the BS for the cause and the educating of the ignorant.

Oh and I thought that bit at the end when you showed your gun after voting was halarious.:D

hermannr

Well, I guess voting by mail had it's advantages...however, today I did have my own problem.

Our local hospital is a rural public hospital. WA has very strong state preemption and public hospitals are not on the list of places that can prohibit carry (court ROOMs, secure portion of a jail, secure portion of a mental health facility). You can carry into a city/county council meeting, the state legislature, the capitol buildings...and this little rural hospital thinks they can restrict? Ho yes, and this hospital has recently gone through an expensive expansion, and now has a new "CEO", it used to be one of the doctors was the chief administrator.

Took my wife down to have a MRI done. There on the new door was a no firearms stcker. I Just completed a nasty note to the hospital district board Chair that the hospital administration is breaking state law with their no firearms policy, and that I expected prompt attention to correcting the situation...old door, old administration, never had a problem. Not so now.