• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Triumphs at the Polls!!

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Here's the situation: I am currently serving as a county election official in Lancaster County, PA. I was OCing all morning at the polling place until about 9:30 (three and a half hours after we'd been there) when the chief election judge came over and told me that it looked like I was carrying a gun. I told her I am carrying a gun. She then proceeded to launch into a tirade and tell me that I wasn't allowed to carry, blah blah blah. Mind you, I had already done the research to determine that it was legal. She called someone and came back and said she had the authority to make me remove it. I told her she did not. We argued for a bit and finally I told her I would lock it in the car while she figured it out so there would be no disruption of the voting process. I am also carrying concealed so I wasn't totally disarmed and my vehicle was in sight. About five minutes later she got a phone call and then called me off to the side. She apologized and said the phone call was from the General Registrar (Head of Elections) for the county who told her that she must allow me to carry. She was then very pleasant and I went and retrieved my firearm and now I OCIng again. Good to know the Registrar knew the law and made the correction without me having to make a phone call. Get out there and VOTE!!!

Lthrnck

But your vote don't count...

Why should you vote, when it doesn't count anyway.

Only the electoral votes count, and not all states require the Electoral member to vote the way the citizens want them to.

Also not all states have any penalties for the Electoral member who votes against the wishes of the citizens.

So basically about 540 people elect the president.

Hmm.. makes you stop and think .... doesn't it.

Brian D.

C'mon, Kent, there's more to vote on than POTUS in every election cycle. Two different times in the last twenty years the mayor race in my little 'burg was decided by less than 10 votes. Same thing with council positions. And I sure don't want to miss voting against (most all) tax levies every chance I get.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Why should you vote, when it doesn't count anyway.

Only the electoral votes count, and not all states require the Electoral member to vote the way the citizens want them to.

Also not all states have any penalties for the Electoral member who votes against the wishes of the citizens.

So basically about 540 people elect the president.

Hmm.. makes you stop and think .... doesn't it.

Great thing about this country is that everybody gets their opinion...

On another note, what precisely does this have to do with my open carry at the polls? Don't hijack my thread bro, not cool....:D

Last edited:

Lthrnck

Okay wrong title...

So I should have said... Voting for the POTUS, your votes don't count.

Sorry SD... didn't think it was hijacking... but will stop after this post.

Billy

SD in PA ~

Good job! and thanks for your service to your community.

My wife and I just returned from voting in our small township hall in the country. Open carried without problems.

In February of 2012 there was posted a sign (at the township hall) forbidding people from bringing in firearms. I contacted the leadership of our area and explained to them that their signage is unlawful due to Michigan's Preemption Law, which says any township or city is NOT allowed to forbid the carrying or transporting of a legally-owned firearm. They later removed the sign.

Take care now...

Respectfully,
Billy

Disabled, combat veteran of U.S. Naval Special Warfare

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Thanks Billy.

As an update, there have been no further issues with my OCing. Full report later tonight...

twoskinsonemanns

Here's the situation: I am currently serving as a county election official in Lancaster County, PA. I was OCing all morning at the polling place until about 9:30 (three and a half hours after we'd been there) when the chief election judge came over and told me that it looked like I was carrying a gun. I told her I am carrying a gun. She then proceeded to launch into a tirade and tell me that I wasn't allowed to carry, blah blah blah. Mind you, I had already done the research to determine that it was legal. She called someone and came back and said she had the authority to make me remove it. I told her she did not. We argued for a bit and finally I told her I would lock it in the car while she figured it out so there would be no disruption of the voting process. I am also carrying concealed so I wasn't totally disarmed and my vehicle was in sight. About five minutes later she got a phone call and then called me off to the side. She apologized and said the phone call was from the General Registrar (Head of Elections) for the county who told her that she must allow me to carry. She was then very pleasant and I went and retrieved my firearm and now I OCIng again. Good to know the Registrar knew the law and made the correction without me having to make a phone call. Get out there and VOTE!!!

Excellent job bigsd!