Thread: GFSZ Discussion

GFSZ Discussion

Just in my neighborhood... if anyone knows a better way to do this then let me know.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2012-11-06 at 3.40.44 PM.jpg 
Views:	249 
Size:	54.7 KB 
ID:	9508

This is ridiculous.
    ...To make my bullets go faster!

GFSZ Discussion

How did you get the map to show the 1000 ft radius?
    .45 ACP - Because shooting twice is silly

A cop pulled me over and said, "Papers..." So I said "Scissors, I win!" and drove away.

Well, not from Virginia, but have the same circumstances. Honestly you are probably worrying about it too much. GFSZA has not been prosecuted as a standalone crime as far as I know. You could always get a privilege card. Personally I just don't worry about it.

The circles do not match the legend to the left corner of the map. The radius is larger on the circles, only make a small difference though.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 11-06-2012 at 03:54 PM.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by MagiK_SacK View Post
    How did you get the map to show the 1000 ft radius?
    I drew it myself with Skitch.

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    Well, not from Virginia, but have the same circumstances. Honestly you are probably worrying about it too much. GFSZA has not been prosecuted as a standalone crime as far as I know. You could always get a privilege card. Personally I just don't worry about it.
    I have to wait until May 2013 Also, I do a lot of walking, and while I don't go ON school property, I do sometimes have to pass by. I can't even walk my dog without hitting one.
    Last edited by Esanders2008; 11-06-2012 at 03:56 PM.

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
    The funny thing about the GFSZ federal statute is the fact that is says nothing about having to have a concealed carry permit. What it does say is you are exempt from the 1000' foot rule...

" if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

This part of the Code specifically states "if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located". In Virginia, no such licensing exists. There is no requirement to be licensed to possess a firearm here. It says nothing about a carry permit.

This may be why we have not seen anyone charged with this, in and of itself, in Virginia. You CHP is a permit to carry a concealed handgun. It is not a license to possess said handgun. So technically, whether or not you have a CHP makes no difference when one looks at the literal wording of the statute.
    In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

Si vis pacem, para bellum.

America First!

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Honestly you are probably worrying about it too much. GFSZA has not been prosecuted as a standalone crime as far as I know.
    The only people that worry about it are people who are planning to commit a primary offense and people who are afraid of the bogyman.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    The only people that worry about it are people who are planning to commit a primary offense and people who are afraid of the bogyman.
    I doubt the criminals are worried about it.....
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    So let's say I am walking my dog and CPD or VBPD decide to flag me down, would they not have RAS that I am in fact, committing a crime at that very moment? Then they could disarm me, run my numbers, run my name etc etc, and then even possibly arrest me?

My concern is just that it gives the police RAS to stop me when they would otherwise have none.

Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post
    So let's say I am walking my dog and CPD or VBPD decide to flag me down, would they not have RAS that I am in fact, committing a crime at that very moment? Then they could disarm me, run my numbers, run my name etc etc, and then even possibly arrest me?

My concern is just that it gives the police RAS to stop me when they would otherwise have none.
    Do you live within the GFSZ?
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Do you live within the GFSZ?
    Yes

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Esanders2008 View Post

No, it doesn't. The GFZ is a federal law, not state. The locals can't enforce it.
    Even if you had an army of Feds snooping around and saw you. Do they have any reason to think you don't have a CHP?

If a cop sees you driving, does that give him PS to pull you to see if you have a license?

This has all been hashed out before and to be honest, I don't feel like doing it again. If you're scared, don't do it, get a CHP, but don't be surprised if you get a lot of snickers when you start talking about enforcing your RIGHTS, because you willingly gave them up.
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-06-2012 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
    The funny thing about the GFSZ federal statute is the fact that is says nothing about having to have a concealed carry permit. What it does say is you are exempt from the 1000' foot rule...

" if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

This part of the Code specifically states "if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located". In Virginia, no such licensing exists. There is no requirement to be licensed to possess a firearm here. It says nothing about a carry permit.

This may be why we have not seen anyone charged with this, in and of itself, in Virginia. You CHP is a permit to carry a concealed handgun. It is not a license to possess said handgun. So technically, whether or not you have a CHP makes no difference when one looks at the literal wording of the statute.
    I have pointed out the above before. There have been claims that BATFE has made a statement, but I personally have not seen the statement. It may exist but I have not seen it. Some states, I believe Colorado does specifically state that the permit is a license to do so, Utah also.

North Carolina actually has a caveat within the concealed carry law that permit holders must follow all federal laws, and that would include the GFSZA.

Politicians never unintentionally write sketchy laws~~they do it on purpose.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump