• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

GFSZ Discussion

WalkingWolf

Well, not from Virginia, but have the same circumstances. Honestly you are probably worrying about it too much. GFSZA has not been prosecuted as a standalone crime as far as I know. You could always get a privilege card. Personally I just don't worry about it.

The circles do not match the legend to the left corner of the map. The radius is larger on the circles, only make a small difference though.

Last edited:

Esanders2008

How did you get the map to show the 1000 ft radius?

I drew it myself with Skitch.

Well, not from Virginia, but have the same circumstances. Honestly you are probably worrying about it too much. GFSZA has not been prosecuted as a standalone crime as far as I know. You could always get a privilege card. Personally I just don't worry about it.

I have to wait until May 2013 :( Also, I do a lot of walking, and while I don't go ON school property, I do sometimes have to pass by. I can't even walk my dog without hitting one.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
The funny thing about the GFSZ federal statute is the fact that is says nothing about having to have a concealed carry permit. What it does say is you are exempt from the 1000' foot rule...

" if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

This part of the Code specifically states "if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located". In Virginia, no such licensing exists. There is no requirement to be licensed to possess a firearm here. It says nothing about a carry permit.

This may be why we have not seen anyone charged with this, in and of itself, in Virginia. You CHP is a permit to carry a concealed handgun. It is not a license to possess said handgun. So technically, whether or not you have a CHP makes no difference when one looks at the literal wording of the statute.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Honestly you are probably worrying about it too much. GFSZA has not been prosecuted as a standalone crime as far as I know.

The only people that worry about it are people who are planning to commit a primary offense and people who are afraid of the bogyman.

Esanders2008

The only people that worry about it are people who are planning to commit a primary offense and people who are afraid of the bogyman.

So let's say I am walking my dog and CPD or VBPD decide to flag me down, would they not have RAS that I am in fact, committing a crime at that very moment? Then they could disarm me, run my numbers, run my name etc etc, and then even possibly arrest me?

My concern is just that it gives the police RAS to stop me when they would otherwise have none.

WalkingWolf

So let's say I am walking my dog and CPD or VBPD decide to flag me down, would they not have RAS that I am in fact, committing a crime at that very moment? Then they could disarm me, run my numbers, run my name etc etc, and then even possibly arrest me?

My concern is just that it gives the police RAS to stop me when they would otherwise have none.

Do you live within the GFSZ?

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

No, it doesn't. The GFZ is a federal law, not state. The locals can't enforce it.
Even if you had an army of Feds snooping around and saw you. Do they have any reason to think you don't have a CHP?

If a cop sees you driving, does that give him PS to pull you to see if you have a license?

This has all been hashed out before and to be honest, I don't feel like doing it again. If you're scared, don't do it, get a CHP, but don't be surprised if you get a lot of snickers when you start talking about enforcing your RIGHTS, because you willingly gave them up.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

The funny thing about the GFSZ federal statute is the fact that is says nothing about having to have a concealed carry permit. What it does say is you are exempt from the 1000' foot rule...

" if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;"

This part of the Code specifically states "if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located". In Virginia, no such licensing exists. There is no requirement to be licensed to possess a firearm here. It says nothing about a carry permit.

This may be why we have not seen anyone charged with this, in and of itself, in Virginia. You CHP is a permit to carry a concealed handgun. It is not a license to possess said handgun. So technically, whether or not you have a CHP makes no difference when one looks at the literal wording of the statute.

I have pointed out the above before. There have been claims that BATFE has made a statement, but I personally have not seen the statement. It may exist but I have not seen it. Some states, I believe Colorado does specifically state that the permit is a license to do so, Utah also.

North Carolina actually has a caveat within the concealed carry law that permit holders must follow all federal laws, and that would include the GFSZA.

Politicians never unintentionally write sketchy laws~~they do it on purpose.