• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I voted

Yetiman

Likewise

Likewise, but I got it out of the way last Tuesday at Milwaukee's Municipal Building.

No "I Voted" emoticon ??

Snake161

Yeah, I voted too of course. But, considering that the state just randomly goes to Obama, my vote meant absolutely nothing. I mean, I must be missing something. Romney led the state by the popular vote about 6%. So.....isn't the electoral college supposed to reflect that?? I'm getting really tired of this game.

E6chevron

Yeah, I voted too of course. But, considering that the state just randomly goes to Obama, my vote meant absolutely nothing. I mean, I must be missing something. Romney led the state by the popular vote about 6%. So.....isn't the electoral college supposed to reflect that?? I'm getting really tired of this game.

Well, I am sad to say that Romney is not leading the popular vote in the state of Wisconsin now.

President Obama has given an acceptance speech that seems to indicate that everything will be fine. I hope he is right, but I am not yet convinced.

The U.S. House of Representatives still has a Republican majority.

The U.S. Senate will keep a Democratic majority, including our new Senator from Wisconsin, Tammy Baldwin.

Be prepared for judicial nominees that have limited support for the U.S. Second Amendment, possibly including Supreme Court judges, to be nominated by the president in the next 4 years.

In Wisconsin, the senate is going back to having a Republican majority, the assembly continues with a Republican majority, and we will have our Republican governor Scott Walker for at least 2 more years.

Last edited:

Teej

The "electoral college" isn't some mysterious group of folks voting to elect the next pope...

Each party designates their own choices for who they want to be the electors - well connected party faithful.

Whichever party wins the popular election in a state, that party chooses the delegates who will submit the EC vote. The chance of EC voters "going rogue" is therefore vanishingly small. You're not going to have a candidate win the pop vote in a given state and have the electors go the other way...it just won't happen.

The "problem" with the EC...for those that believe there is one (I don't)...and the reason one can (conceivably..it's happened 4 times) win the national popular vote and lose the EC vote is two-fold.

First, in nearly every state, it doesn't matter if the vote comes down to 4,000,001 to 4,000,000 - a win is a win, so that person gets the same ~ 20 electoral votes as a candidate who won 8,000,001 to 0.

Second, Each state has a # of EC votes based on the number of senators and reps. The catch is every state has 2 senators, while # of reps is based on population. This means that smaller states have a slightly larger weighting in the EC system. Let's say for sake of argument the rule is 1 House rep for every million residents (I don't know what the actual # is, but I know that isn't it). A state with 2 mil residents gets 4 electoral votes (2 reps, 2 senators) - or 1 for every half million residents. A state with 40 million would then get 42 votes - 40 for the population, and 2 because every state has 2 senators...thus each EC vote here represents over 950,000 people.

Just to be clear - senators and reps aren't the actual EC delegates - the delegates are a group of party faithful equal in number to the # of sen+reps.

M

McX

i voted, though in the end it didnt seem to matter much; 4 more years of monkey business, 4 more years to destroy our once great country, at least i take comfort in the fact that the leadership, by examining the margins will see that roughly 50% of the country isnt buying their crap anymore, and this will be the last term for this one.

Big Dipper

It looks as though the stock market is "voting" this morning. At 9AM CST the DJIA is down $221+.

I guess that shows the general confidence in the Blamer-In-Chief and his ability to actually DO something other than get elected and take nice vacations!

Last edited:
M

McX

we shouldnt be all gloom and doom, though everyone i know pretty much is, here's a positive note: stocks in gun companies (and probably relateds) are UP!