• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Funny thing after the election.

Bowesmobile

My wife has asked me about purchasing another gun for "home defense". I think she may be considering carrying on her own! WOOOHOO!

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Congrats to your wife. Think she will get a twin to yours, making it a matched pair?

stay safe.

Bowesmobile

Well, close to mine. She wants something in 9mm. Which I understand. She's small and is afraid of the larger caliber. But I think this is AWESOME! She has really come around from this spring when I bought my .45 ! She didn't just ask me about it. She told me we need one. Which means she's made a firm decision in her head. I'm so proud of her! Looks like were going to the gun show this weekend.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Well, close to mine. She wants something in 9mm. Which I understand. She's small and is afraid of the larger caliber. But I think this is AWESOME! She has really come around from this spring when I bought my .45 ! She didn't just ask me about it. She told me we need one. Which means she's made a firm decision in her head. I'm so proud of her! Looks like were going to the gun show this weekend.

Congratulations Bowes!
My wife talked me into another gun on Sunday so I ended up with a Remington 700 tactical. Just finished mounting the Redfield 6-18 Varmint scope a few minutes ago.

Wives are good things to have!:lol:

va_tazdad

Some things do change

My wife has asked me about purchasing another gun for "home defense". I think she may be considering carrying on her own! WOOOHOO!

My wife just called me about buying a Kitchen Aid mixer for my middle daughter for Christmas and offered to get one for the youngest too. Then she tells me the youngest one tells her she wants a "Hello Kitty" pink gun for Christmas instead of the mixer.

One wants to be Suzie Homemaker, the other wants to be Sally Lead Slinger. (Personally, I think she wants it for protection against the coming Zombiepocalypse.)

Life is good! ;>)

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Bring her by the River City Diner for a pre-show breakfast - TBA today. There will be other show attendees there, some from out of town. We'd like the opportunity to tell her how good, wonderful, and responsible she is - seriously. :)

45acpForMe

Where are all the good women at?

You guys have found all the good women that encourage husbands to get more guns! I am jealous.

My daughters have their favorite guns to shoot for now but we will have to figure out what to get them as they get older/bigger and can handle a better caliber. My oldest shoots .45acp like all good people but I will have to wean her off the Taurus she loves onto some more stable platform. The tap/rack drill is needed on the Taurus about 2-3 times per magazine which is good for training but bad for a life threatening situation!

Let your wife shoot a few 9mm and see if she still thinks a .45acp is too much. I prefer the .45acp felt recoil.

Bowesmobile

Thanks guys for all the compliments! I already have a gun picked out for her. I know the dealer and have purchased from him in the past. I'm going to get her shooting first. Then we'll get her a pretty gun! Maybe something with pearl grips (poking at Skidmark)! She'll be great with a Hi-point C-9 for right now. Not a lot of recoil and dead accurate. I'm excited!

Also on another note. Were going back to Michigan for Christmas (Lord willing) so I'm getting my CHP. I really dont like having to get one. But until we have constitutional carry across the US its a necesarry evil. So please dont bash me Peter Nap. I totally support what you stand for and why you do. I firmly believe that its what the founding fathers meant for us as a nation and I will support ANY legislation to restore that right to our great nation! That being said, I will protect my family in whatever State I'm traveling through or visiting. I know to watch out for Maryland. I only spend 1/2 an hour going through the badlands. Hopefully I can keep things straight, lol!

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
How many times do I have to say there's nothing wrong with having one. I made my wife get one.
My fight is with P4P.....

Anyway, speaking of wives, mine insisted I buy 1000 rounds of 5.56 today:eek:

Bowesmobile

No, I know Peter... I was making my intentions clear. Honestly I think it should be consitutional carry all the way in all 50 states.

Soooo your wife and mine need to start talking. LOL, cause I need something that shoots 5.56 or 3 1/2" slugs. I've been eyeing the Keltec 12 gauge for some time now. I need a long gun.

Shoobee

No, I know Peter... I was making my intentions clear. Honestly I think it should be consitutional carry all the way in all 50 states.

Soooo your wife and mine need to start talking. LOL, cause I need something that shoots 5.56 or 3 1/2" slugs. I've been eyeing the Keltec 12 gauge for some time now. I need a long gun.

If you don't have a long gun at all, then your first long gun should be a 12 gauge pump.

That's because the only foreseeable time when your pistol would not do the job for you would then be a case where only a 12 gauge would.

After you get a 12 gauge, which is effective from 10 to 50 yards, then you can consider a 5.56, which is effective from 10 to 500 yards, however a shotgun is MORE effective from 10 to 50 yds.

The best 5.56 would be one of the Ruger mini's, in my opinion. Although the most popular are the AR-15's. But whereas the AR's can easily jam and are hard to clear (as the Aurora psycho found out), the Ruger mini's rarely jam (open bolt is cleaner) and are easy to clear (open bolt is easy to clear).

For all this hardware you should also get a gunsafe too.

Attachments

• Liberty Centurion.jpg
    Liberty Centurion.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Mossberg 590.jpg
    Mossberg 590.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 0

Shoobee

You guys have found all the good women that encourage husbands to get more guns! I am jealous.

My daughters have their favorite guns to shoot for now but we will have to figure out what to get them as they get older/bigger and can handle a better caliber. My oldest shoots .45acp like all good people but I will have to wean her off the Taurus she loves onto some more stable platform. The tap/rack drill is needed on the Taurus about 2-3 times per magazine which is good for training but bad for a life threatening situation!

Let your wife shoot a few 9mm and see if she still thinks a .45acp is too much. I prefer the .45acp felt recoil.

I wish I could find one (wife or GF) who will spot for me on a hunting trip. That is the holy grail as long as you are wishing.

45acpForMe

I don't think the Keltec shotgun will handle 3.5" shells just 3". I'ld rather have the FN SLP for an semi-auto or my trusty Remington 870's for a pump action. (mossberg is cool as long as you get the bayonet!) ;-) The MKA 1919 was interesting but only has 5 round mags available and I have heard of some reliability issues.

FN SLP: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj7T_1mNSf0&feature=plcp

Shoobee

I don't think the Keltec shotgun will handle 3.5" shells just 3". I'ld rather have the FN SLP for an semi-auto or my trusty Remington 870's for a pump action. (mossberg is cool as long as you get the bayonet!) ;-) The MKA 1919 was interesting but only has 5 round mags available and I have heard of some reliability issues.

You do not need 3 1/2 inchers unless you are hunting turkeys or maybe geese.

2 3/4 inch shells are much better for home defense (riot control in your neighborhood) anyway.

Ergo any standard 3 inch pump action shotgun is fine.

I seriously doubt that someone who does not even own a long gun is going to become a turkey or goose hunter anyway.

Last edited:

Bowesmobile

It will take the 3 1/2" slugs. But they are manual feed. Still 14 3" slugs would do just fine and its short and easy to swing around. Its a personal preference I guess. I would take any of the afore mentioned guns. But this one I would appreciate more!

Last edited:

45acpForMe

It will take the 3 1/2" slugs. But they are manual feed. Still 14 3" slugs would do just fine and its short and easy to swing around. Its a personal preference I guess. I would take any of the afore mentioned guns. But this one I would appreciate more!

NutnFancy did some run-n-gunning with the Keltec. There were some issues (needed practice) cycling the pump action, transitioning to the next magazine tube, and reloading learning curve. I think if you use 2.75" shells you get 7 in each tube but with 3" only 6 in a tube. For the price I would rather have the semi-auto FN SLP with 8+1. Then again I cheaped-out and went for the Remington pump action 870. I can get three of them for one of the FN's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii_wgxaLiak&feature=plcp