Thread: Obama Re-election Good News for Virginia Gun Owners?

Obama Re-election Good News for Virginia Gun Owners?

Here's a fun fact worth noting: Going back all the way to 1977, the Virginia gubernatorial election has gone to the party that did not win the Presidency the year before. If this trend holds, the Republican candidate will win the race for governor next year. The state level is where all the real action is happening on gun laws, and a Republican governor will do us a hell-of-a-lot more good than a Rino president would have. Sure, Obama is no friend of gun owners (particularly when it comes to the Supreme Court), but the Republican controlled House isn't going to let a new AWB or similar bill pass in Congress over the next four years.

So, if you're feeling down about yesterday's elections, practice saying "Governor Cuccinelli." It might make you feel a little better.

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
    If you are feeling down about yesterday's national elections, just send your donation to the NRA.

They can probably use it wisely for you.

If you are truly worried about an AWB then the NRA is your only hope left, if you are truly scared and shaking in your boots.
    Thanks Shoobee, I needed a good laugh today!

Quote Originally Posted by VApatriot View Post
    but the Republican controlled House isn't going to let a new AWB or similar bill pass in Congress over the next four years.
    Two years I could believe. No telling who will control the House after that....

Roscoe
    Last edited by roscoe13; 11-07-2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: Typo
    "The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good." - George Washington

Seriously, anybody truly paranoid about an AWB should just send a check to the NRA.

It's that or spend your money on Prozac.
    You need to do a little research on the NRA's stance on assault weapons. That's like saying VCDL will protect hunting weapons.

The NRA sold everyone down the river over the AWB.

...but the Republican controlled House isn't going to let a new AWB or similar bill pass in Congress over the next four years.

Two words: Executive Order.

Since there is a rule about bad-mouthing other gun organizations, and some folks seem to feel that thery hold the belief that telling the truth when it is not all rosy and positive is badmouthing, I will not say anything about the NRA.

Cuccinelli is no friend of gun rights. At best he is not an outright enemy - most of the time. This http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions%...09-Greason.pdf is going to take a lot to be forgiven. He has the time to do it, but I am not willing to hold my breath waiting to see if he will correct anything.

He has had several occassions when he could have opined that Boards of Governors were not given authority by the General Assembly to delve into establishing rules about guns on campus that extend beyond students, staff and faculty. Anybody recall the exact words he used on that matter?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

If you are feeling down about yesterday's national elections, just send your donation to the NRA.

They can probably use it wisely for you.

If you are truly worried about an AWB then the NRA is your only hope left, if you are truly scared and shaking in your boots.
    You do realize that they went all out after Obama and couldnt beat him. It wasnt even close.

Screwed by the Cooch

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Since there is a rule about bad-mouthing other gun organizations, and some folks seem to feel that thery hold the belief that telling the truth when it is not all rosy and positive is badmouthing, I will not say anything about the NRA.

Cuccinelli is no friend of gun rights. At best he is not an outright enemy - most of the time. This http://www.oag.state.va.us/Opinions%...09-Greason.pdf is going to take a lot to be forgiven. He has the time to do it, but I am not willing to hold my breath waiting to see if he will correct anything.

He has had several occassions when he could have opined that Boards of Governors were not given authority by the General Assembly to delve into establishing rules about guns on campus that extend beyond students, staff and faculty. Anybody recall the exact words he used on that matter?

stay safe.
    Skid,

I am confused, are we talking about pro-gun groups or are we talking about the NRA?

You are 100% right about the Cooch.

The Cooch is much more interested in appealing to the sheeple of occupied Northern Virginia than he is about supporting self executing rights. He wants to be the next guv'na, as Toll Booth Bob is almost done.

Live Free or Die,
    Thundar
    He wore his gun outside his pants for all the honest world to see. Pancho & Lefty

The millions of people, armed in the holy cause of liberty, and in such a country as that which we possess, are invincible by any force which our enemy can send against us....There is no retreat but in submission and slavery! ...The war is inevitable–and let it come! I repeat it, Sir, let it come …………. PATRICK HENRY speech 1776

Here's a fun fact worth noting: Going back all the way to 1977, the Virginia gubernatorial election has gone to the party that did not win the Presidency the year before. If this trend holds, the Republican candidate will win the race for governor next year. The state level is where all the real action is happening on gun laws, and a Republican governor will do us a hell-of-a-lot more good than a Rino president would have. Sure, Obama is no friend of gun owners (particularly when it comes to the Supreme Court), but the Republican controlled House isn't going to let a new AWB or similar bill pass in Congress over the next four years.

So, if you're feeling down about yesterday's elections, practice saying "Governor Cuccinelli." It might make you feel a little better.
    I heard a fun fact too. If the Washington Redskins lost the home game before a presidential election, the incumbent would be removed from office. That was a streak that went from 1936 until 2004 when the Packers beat the Redskins and G.W. Bush was re-elected. Most recently last night. Think the POTUS can't affect guns laws?
    What do you think about this?
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A627J20121107
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

Quote Originally Posted by sparkman2 View Post
    I heard a fun fact too. If the Washington Redskins lost the home game before a presidential election, the incumbent would be removed from office. That was a streak that went from 1936 until 2004 when the Packers beat the Redskins and G.W. Bush was re-elected. Most recently last night. Think the POTUS can't affect guns laws?
    What do you think about this?
    http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/...8A627J20121107
    I remember that fact, and I also remember cheering for my Packers in that 2004 game anyway.

I'm not saying that the president-governor thing is a 100% guarantee, but I put a lot more faith in this trend than in a random coincidence. Connections between national and state politics are really things that have influence on results. Football, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundar View Post
    Skid,

I am confused, are we talking about pro-gun groups or are we talking about the NRA?
    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

It might just be your Freudian petticoat showing, but BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Here's a few points to consider.

I stopped by my still congressman's (Rob Wittman) local office today, and talked with one of his staffers.

It isn't likely that an AWB will rear its ugly head this (2 yr) term, but a budget will (in the House, anyway). The Cooch will likely be the next republican gubernatorial candidate, and McDonald will run for Warner's seat in the Senate in 2014. However, watch out for Nancy Pelosi. While she's not Speaker, she's still angling for another shot at the job (in two years). If the Dems take the house, she'll no doubt achieve that, and then we'll see an AWB.

We might see attempts to impose special (excise) taxes on firearms related purchases. Given the dire need of the government to raise revenue, this could be a bargaining chip that could be played by either side. (The Repub's offer it to placate the end of the Bush tax cuts, the Dem's offer it to "shore up" the social safety nets.)

Another threat comes from the courts.

And of course, Executive Orders can play a big role. Obama can order the BATFE to make life miserable for FFLs and their customers.

I've been Gerrymandered out of Wittman's district into Scott Rigell's effective with the convening of the new Congress on Jan 3rd.

Hide and watch.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Founder's Club Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    SNIP I stopped by my still congressman's (Rob Wittman) local office today, and talked with one of his staffers.
    You keep your still in a different district than you reside? Oh, my.
    I'll make you an offer: I will argue and fight for all of your rights, if you will do the same for me. That is the only way freedom can work. We have to respect all rights, all the time--and strive to win the rights of the other guy as much as for ourselves.

If I am equal to another, how can I legitimately govern him without his express individual consent?

There is no human being on earth I hate so much I would actually vote to inflict government upon him.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen View Post
    You keep your still in a different district than you reside? Oh, my.
    That way the Revennoooers can't tie him to it if they find it!

I remember that fact, and I also remember cheering for my Packers in that 2004 game anyway.

I'm not saying that the president-governor thing is a 100% guarantee, but I put a lot more faith in this trend than in a random coincidence. Connections between national and state politics are really things that have influence on results. Football, not so much.
    I know what you mean. Having been born in Wausau WI, I was in a dilemma on rooting for the Packers or the Redskins so I chose the Packskins.
    "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed one." Thomas Jefferson (quoting Cesare Beccaria)

My fear isn't a short term AWB or even a attempt at a permanent one that could be overturned with a new congress/president. I fear that Obummer gets to appoint 1-3 Supreme Court Justices over the next term and they will have 40 years to rule/reign destroying freedom! One liberal is planned to retire but some others will be 80 by the end of his term so if old age or any other unfortunate accident stops a more conservative justice from waiting for a better president before retiring we are SCREWED. How long do you think it will take for a case to be shot through the legal system up to the supreme court to overturn McDonald and decide that the 2A really is just for the active military?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by 45acpForMe View Post
    My fear isn't a short term AWB or even a attempt at a permanent one that could be overturned with a new congress/president. I fear that Obummer gets to appoint 1-3 Supreme Court Justices over the next term and they will have 40 years to rule/reign destroying freedom! One liberal is planned to retire but some others will be 80 by the end of his term so if old age or any other unfortunate accident stops a more conservative justice from waiting for a better president before retiring we are SCREWED. How long do you think it will take for a case to be shot through the legal system up to the supreme court to overturn McDonald and decide that the 2A really is just for the active military?!?!?
    It will be interesting to see how a SCOTUS ruling against 2A will conflict with the pro-gun rights enshrined in state constitutions.
    A law-abiding citizen should be able to carry his personal protection firearm anywhere that an armed criminal might go.

Member VCDL, NRA

Quote Originally Posted by 2a4all View Post
    It will be interesting to see how a SCOTUS ruling against 2A will conflict with the pro-gun rights enshrined in state constitutions.
    I'm not sure "interesting" is the way I'd describe it.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I'm not sure "interesting" is the way I'd describe it.
    Ever heard someone say to you "May you live in interesting times"?

If nothing else, it a polite way of saying it.

stay safe.

----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Ever heard someone say to you "May you live in interesting times"?

If nothing else, it a polite way of saying it.

stay safe.
    That is an ancient Chinese curse!