• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open carry subject matter expert?

MP_4_Life

Hey guys. Once again looking for a little help here. I'm working on a Persuasive Presentation for my COM101 class that's due in a few weeks, but the professor threw a curve ball at me. She's requiring us to do a interview with someone that can be considered a subject matter expert. So I'm turning to my friends here once again. This one will be pretty fun too.

So me and a fellow student are both avid firearm carriers. I'm all about open carry, and she's all about cc. So we decided to each do a speech on why OC or CC is better than the other. So I was hoping to get a volunteer from our site to interview for this speech. All I ask is that the candidate be experienced in OC and maybe even in CCW as to be objective as possible, but the point of the speech is to persuade. The interview can be done in person, over a phone, or any means that's most convenient. I do need someone who doesn't mind being cited for the interview, but this isn't a huge forum or anything, just a class of about 15 college students and a professor.

If interested, or even have a recommendation of someone I could interview. Please feel free to PM me or post a reply here. Any help would be greatly appreciated by all.

This presentation might even get us a few new OCer's out there too, 2 of my classmates are CC and at least 4 have been interested in carrying either OC or CC, just didn't know their rights. So a good presentation might win us a few more participants and help further our cause.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Sounds like a fine idea. I can make myself available.

I am a licensed (NV State and Clark County) firearms instructor, and certified by the NV Sheriffs' and Chiefs' Assn as a NV State CCW class instructor. I can also throw out a lot more titles if the professor wants more "expert" status.

I am also an open carry advocate who makes sure my students understand the advantages and choices involved in either method of carry.

Last edited:

MP_4_Life

Awesome, that's the perfect type of candidate I was hoping to find for this. The "expert" part was a implied type, just someone very knowledgeable was her requirement. I'll PM you for more details as the interview will draw closer. ty Mac702.

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Just wanted to comment that this thread is one of the reasons I love OCDO! A member needed some assistance and another came quickly to the aid. Not many forums out there where one can expect such a response.

MP_4_Life- Kudos to you for present such great topics to your class. I thread your thread about your other assignment as well. I think it's great that you are taking the opportunity to educate folks.

MAC702- Kudos to you for stepping up to help out!

Last edited:

MP_4_Life

Just wanted to comment that this thread is one of the reasons I love OCDO! A member needed some assistance and another came quickly to the aid. Not many forums out there where one can expect such a response.

MP_4_Life- Kudos to you for present such great topics to your class. I thread your thread about your other assignment as well. I think it's great that you are taking the opportunity to educate folks.

MAC_702- Kudos to you for stepping up to help out!

This is a very good point. It's because of this community that I finally joined a forum and really started to try and educate people. The people here are educated and mature, we don't really have people trying to pick a fight here. All the conversations and "debates" stay calm and civilized with very rare exception and mostly instigated by people from other sites. Because of people like MAC702 and TBG, is why I finally started to act and be a part of this place. I used to OC and thinking I was alone and such, now I can't wait til I can afford a new handgun and carry again to rejoin my great community. I really do hope everyone here that reads our post and mine, gives themselves a pat on the back. They are great symbols of our cause and how in my honest opinion, TRUE Americans should be.

DVC

City? Who wants to live in a CITY?, Nevada, USA
I'm going to muddy the waters here.

I'm the guy who got concealed carry legalized in Arizona, but I don't consider CC to be superior to OC.

I also don't consider OC superior to CC.

CARRYING is superior to NOT carrying. Sometimes it is more appropriate to OC, sometimes to CC. Thus, your speeches should take this into account.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I think we agree. It is unfortunate that there are still societal reasons for why we must sometimes conceal in order to stay armed without incidents that we would rather avoid.

I conceal often. But it's never been because it was what I preferred.

Well, I guess we can add weather conditions, too, as a reason for concealing at times. I'm not worried about my firearm, but it's just easier to wear a sidearm under a coat.

Maybe there's another reason or two, but I can't think of it at the moment.

Vegassteve

I'm the guy who got concealed carry legalized in Arizona, but I don't consider CC to be superior to OC.

CARRYING is superior to NOT carrying. Sometimes it is more appropriate to OC, sometimes to CC. Thus, your speeches should take this into account.

Did you go to the Henderson NRA meeting before the elections? The candidate speaking one?

MP_4_Life

I agree... any form of carry is better than none, but that's besides the fact.

The reason of this presentation is highlighted by OC vs. CC but the point me and her try trying to make is that there is a lack of carrying. So we're using it as a kind of means to make them aware of the right and how to do them. I've been focusing on the whole fact of making themselves harder targets for would be criminals and how that also helps others.

So yes, this is kinda a bad thing by making it a competition for which is better, but ultimately might help us gain more people carrying all together.

DVC

I agree... any form of carry is better than none, but that's besides the fact.

The reason of this presentation is highlighted by OC vs. CC but the point me and her try trying to make is that there is a lack of carrying. So we're using it as a kind of means to make them aware of the right and how to do them. I've been focusing on the whole fact of making themselves harder targets for would be criminals and how that also helps others.

So yes, this is kinda a bad thing by making it a competition for which is better, but ultimately might help us gain more people carrying all together.

You can pull that off if you don't argue that the other way is bad. Point out the advantages of yours and have her point out the advantages of hers, and your "CON" examples should be conditional, i.e., "Open carry is bad in the rain," "Concealed carry is impractical when it's 120 degrees in the shade and there's no shade."

Paraphrasing Reagan's "11th Commandment," Thou shalt not say bad things about the other way to carry a firearm. The reason, of course, is that the hoplophobes will repeat the bad things and say that "even gun owners condemn it!"

Vegassteve

Nope. When I'm home, I'm in the northern part of the state, but I have just finished up a several-months-long contract out of state.

Was there someone at the meeting talking about AZ's constitutional carry?

Yes the folks who spearheaded CC in AZ and also Constitutional carry. So since you claim you were the guy, I wondered if you were the guy we all met. Seems your not, and someone is lying. Either they were or you are. You keep making this claim and none of know who you are. Maybe a name would be great and we could confirm who was lying. I mean I could claim I was the one that got gambling legalized in Mississippi. A person can claim anything.

MP_4_Life

Hey guys, I finally did the presentation yesterday for OC vs. CCW. Just figured I'd give you guys a update. I feel that yesterday we had a huge victory in a persuasive speech to a class of about 15-20. The competition basically just focused on trying to persuade the group with "social reasoning." Sadly she even promoted illegally concealed carrying to places that are prohibited by law or even by policy of private property. While I focused on the cost of CCW, the lack of higher retention level holsters and clothing needs for CCW, and cited the cases of Plaxico Burress and Erik Scott and how the more people see firearms the less affect the stigma of movies and criminals has on guns.

We even got a new legal American citizen, not wanting to join the ranks of carriers, and another young adult going to be OCing because he can't get a CCW (he's only 19). All in all a great success, for both, but still I feel my OC presentation was much better.

Last edited:

DVC

Yes the folks who spearheaded CC in AZ and also Constitutional carry. So since you claim you were the guy, I wondered if you were the guy we all met. Seems your not, and someone is lying. Either they were or you are. You keep making this claim and none of know who you are. Maybe a name would be great and we could confirm who was lying. I mean I could claim I was the one that got gambling legalized in Mississippi. A person can claim anything.

I started it in 1990, with a petition drive. The legislature passed a permit scheme to stop it.

I left AZ in 1998. People in Tucson who had been strong supporters continued the fight and got CC finally passed.

As far as my name, anyone who meets me in person is welcome to it, but I don't offer that info online -- the Internet has no need to know. If you would like to come up to Reno (or wait until the next time I go through LV), we can meet and I'll tell you all about it.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
As the interviewed expert, I obtained permission and attended the class. First, it was nice to see a class full of freedom-loving students. One was a very attractive mother of a 12-year-old daughter who claims she does not smoke marijuana (and I believe her) but she very persuasively and logically argued in favor of its legalization. And there were two students arguing for the carrying of firearms, but the girl arguing in favor of CCW was last-minute prepared. But it made for good class discussion afterward. MP_4_Life (Michael) did an outstanding job with the pro-OC argument to include the safe carrying of firearms in general.

Last edited:

varminter22

I'm the guy who got concealed carry legalized in Arizona

I started it in 1990, with a petition drive. The legislature passed a permit scheme to stop it.

I left AZ in 1998. People in Tucson who had been strong supporters continued the fight and got CC finally passed.

As far as my name, anyone who meets me in person is welcome to it, but I don't offer that info online -- the Internet has no need to know. If you would like to come up to Reno (or wait until the next time I go through LV), we can meet and I'll tell you all about it.

There seems to be a large disparity between "I got it legalized in AZ" and "I started it in 1990 with a petition drive". Especially since Arizona adopted Constitutional Carry in 2010 and you left Arizona twelve years earlier in 1998.

Perhaps Steve has a good point with:

I live about an hour from Reno. If you would like to discuss in person, perhaps we could. There are others here locally that I'll bet are interested.

DVC

There seems to be a large disparity between "I got it legalized in AZ" and "I started it in 1990 with a petition drive". Especially since Arizona adopted Constitutional Carry in 2010 and you left Arizona twelve years earlier in 1998.

When I started the Defense Rights Initiative there was NO concealed carry in Arizona, unless you were LEO.

DRI would have eliminated the law prohibiting CCW, without regulation or restriction.

The Legislature realized that DRI was going to make the ballot and was going to pass, so they called back Bob Carson's perennial CCW permit bill (which had already been rejected that session, as it had for the several before it) and passed it. This provided a training requirement, BG check and $50 fee. Bob told me that the only reason it happened was because of my petition. Thus, I got concealed carry legalized in AZ.

The Tucson guys kept at it through other means, and got the job finished. The process to get CC took 20 years, but I'm the one who got it started.

Vegassteve

When I started the Defense Rights Initiative there was NO concealed carry in Arizona, unless you were LEO.

DRI would have eliminated the law prohibiting CCW, without regulation or restriction.

The Legislature realized that DRI was going to make the ballot and was going to pass, so they called back Bob Carson's perennial CCW permit bill (which had already been rejected that session, as it had for the several before it) and passed it. This provided a training requirement, BG check and $50 fee. Bob told me that the only reason it happened was because of my petition. Thus, I got concealed carry legalized in AZ.

The Tucson guys kept at it through other means, and got the job finished. The process to get CC took 20 years, but I'm the one who got it started.

Well OK then.....