• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

That didn't take long! UN arms treaty is back

tombrewster421

I wish we could actually try him for treason if he does this. Not that we don't already have a reason.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
An official at the U.S. mission said Washington's objectives have not changed.
"We seek a treaty that contributes to international security by fighting illicit arms trafficking and proliferation, protects the sovereign right of states to conduct legitimate arms trade, and meets the concerns that we have been articulating throughout," the official said.
"We will not accept any treaty that infringes on the constitutional rights of our citizens to bear arms," he said.
U.S. officials have acknowledged privately that the treaty under discussion would have no effect on domestic gun sales and ownership because it would apply only to exports.
Apparently this would not affect domestically-made civilian arms.

Would this have any effect on imports of civilian arms?

Last edited:

tombrewster421

That's like a slap on the wrist and also not likely to happen. Divided we shall fall. They've done a great job at dividing this nation.

amzbrady

I wish we could actually try him for treason if he does this. Not that we don't already have a reason.

No, but he can be impeached for violating his oath of office to defend the constitution.

He is too well protected by those with wealth and agenda's, it will never happen. If it were to happen, it would have in his first term.

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
No, but he can be impeached for violating his oath of office to defend the constitution.

Ummm. No. Impeachment can only happen under three circumstances, and you know that a congress that can't read the constitution will suddenly develop the ability to read with unerring precision if impeachment comes onto the table.

Article II, section 4:

The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

Last edited:

EMNofSeattle

Ummm. No. Impeachment can only happen under three circumstances, and you know that a congress that can't read the constitution will suddenly develop the ability to read with unerring precision if impeachment comes onto the table.

Article II, section 4:

The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment [strike]for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors[/strike].Whenever the senate will agree with congress that a president shall be removed from office at their own discretion regardless of what illegal acts the president has committed or not committed

There FIFY

Citizen

Founder's Club Member
Y'all realize that FIFY is a violation of board rules, right?

I'm not singling out EMN. I've noticed a few others doing it lately.

The mods will have something to say if they see it. I'm not making this up or interpreting the rule; they've done this a number of times in the past.

(16) NO FALSE ATTRIBUTIONS: Editing quoted posts by another member to make it appear as if they said something other than what they intended will NOT be tolerated!

You can still get the point across, you just have to copy-and-paste, then edit, then say, "This is how it should appear." Or, some such. The old FIFY was fun, and I don't know anybody who was stupid enough to think the edited quote was actually the original version when FIFY was written right below the dammed thing. But, that's how the mods want to play it. They reserve the right to edit any post for themselves. But, nobody else can. I imagine some sourpuss hated somebody else's FIFY of his post and complained about it.

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
While I don't believe the UN ATT has a realistic chance of being ratified by congress, I do agree that we need to keep our eyes on it, just as we need to keep our eyes on Washington Ceasefire and Senators Kline, Kohl-Welles (sp?) and others who work against our best interests. And now, it looks like we may have an anti-gun governor, no matter what Alpine believes.

According to the website http://www.ontheissues.org/house/Jay_Inslee_Gun_Control.htm Jay Inslee:

• Voted NO on prohibiting product misuse lawsuits on gun manufacturers. (Oct 2005)
  • Voted NO on prohibiting suing gunmakers & sellers for gun misuse. (Apr 2003)
  • Voted NO on decreasing gun waiting period from 3 days to 1. (Jun 1999)
  • Prevent unauthorized firearm use with "smart gun" technology. (Aug 2000)
  • Rated F by the NRA, indicating a pro-gun control voting record. (Dec 2003)

OC for ME

Apparently this would not affect domestically-made civilian arms.

Would this have any effect on imports of civilian arms?
My XD is "manufactured" by a US based company and the gun was "imported" from Croatia where it was "manufactured." It all depends on the specific language in the final version of the "treaty" that would be voted on.

Difdi

Article II, section 4:

The President, Vice President and all civil officers of the United States, shall be removed from office on impeachment for, and conviction of, treason, bribery, or other high crimes and misdemeanors.

So which of those did Clinton commit? He broke an oath.

amlevin

Yawning.jpg

Here we go again.

Last edited:

sudden valley gunner

Article II, section 4:

Using your post as a jumping off post and for clarity.

I was under the assumption before that "High crimes" were something akin to a felony. I was wrong and I hear many people use it wrong (not saying you did here), a high crime by its definition of the time of being put into the constitution, meant something political in nature done by those on "high" and can be anything from unjust acts to misappropriating funds or misrepresenting their constituents. It was a well understood subjective term meant to put a check on those in public power.

As one old English definition I recently read put it, "for whatever reason whatsoever".

Brion

After Obama win, US is back in on UN Small Arms Treaty

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-arms-treaty-un-idUSBRE8A627J20121107

Obama quit talks because he didn't want to give Mitt ammo, well now that he got reelected he's not worried about it.

They claim they wont' accept a treaty that hurts the 2A. Well if I can't buy an XD or a Glock or any other gun built in a different country, I feel that hurts.

Here's whats going to happen if this takes place:
Can't buy a gun built in a different country so you have to buy American.
American made gun prices will skyrocket, A) Supply and Demand, B) along with the treaty, expect new taxes on guns and ammo, along with all sorts of new red tape.

/gets out a bowl of jalapeno popcorn

Freedom1Man

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/11/07/us-arms-treaty-un-idUSBRE8A627J20121107

Obama quit talks because he didn't want to give Mitt ammo, well now that he got reelected he's not worried about it.

They claim they wont' accept a treaty that hurts the 2A. Well if I can't buy an XD or a Glock or any other gun built in a different country, I feel that hurts.

Here's whats going to happen if this takes place:
Can't buy a gun built in a different country so you have to buy American.
American made gun prices will skyrocket, A) Supply and Demand, B) along with the treaty, expect new taxes on guns and ammo, along with all sorts of new red tape.

/gets out a bowl of jalapeno popcorn

All the taxes on firearms and other arms are unconstitutional in the first place. They were asked to be put in place by the sportsmen groups to help pay for the conservation of hunting areas.

You cannot tax a right period. The power to tax is the power to destroy, which, is the point you've made.

conandan

I have been hearing a lot of talk about this UN treaty. I've heard people say it it goes into affect that it would supersede our 2nd amendment. Or like above, ban US weapons and tax and regulate ammo. Does anyone know where I can look to find the truth on this.