• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Where to buy guns?

NickBlackburn

Hello, its been a while since ive gotten on these forums. Anyways, does anyone know where I(18 years old) can purchase a handgun?:D

hermannr

Forgive me for sounding skeptical, but I think this may be a setup. Isn't it against state law for someone under 21 to purchase a handgun?

Carefully now: It is not legal for a FEDERALLY LICENSED DEALER to SELL a handgun to a person under 21.

Got the difference...the prohibition is one the SALE (not the purchase) and then it only applies to an FFL.

Bill45

A person age 18 to 21 can purchase a handgun in a private transaction from a unlicenced non-dealer.
It is not legal for a DEALER to sell a pistol to anyone under 21.
I can't find the RCW on this but that is what I understand the RCW to be.

So if you want to buy a handgun, you have to buy from a private sale. If I were you I would try the Puyallup gun show and find a non dealer (if any exist at the WAC any more) to buy from.

Good luck.

RCW 9.41.240
Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

Last edited:

hermannr

A person age 18 to 21 can purchase a handgun in a private transaction from a unlicenced non-dealer.
It is not legal for a DEALER to sell a pistol to anyone under 21.
I can't find the RCW on this but that is what I understand the RCW to be.

So if you want to buy a handgun, you have to buy from a private sale. If I were you I would try the Puyallup gun show and find a non dealer (if any exist at the WAC any more) to buy from.

Good luck.

RCW 9.41.240
Possession of pistol by person from eighteen to twenty-one.

Unless an exception under RCW 9.41.042, 9.41.050, or 9.41.060 applies, a person at least eighteen years of age, but less than twenty-one years of age, may possess a pistol only:

(1) In the person's place of abode;

(2) At the person's fixed place of business; or

(3) On real property under his or her control.

This is not the whole law. When it comes to persons 18-21, (or anyone for that matter) you MUST read the whole law, especially the "unless an exception under.... applies".

Read RCW 9.41.060 (exemptions) 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 can apply to the under 21 person, and (8) very specifically applies to EVERYONE...no age restriction

Might want to start reading here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

Bill45

This is not the whole law. When it comes to persons 18-21, (or anyone for that matter) you MUST read the whole law, especially the "unless an exception under.... applies".

Read RCW 9.41.060 (exemptions) 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 can apply to the under 21 person, and (8) very specifically applies to EVERYONE...no age restriction

Might want to start reading here: http://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.060

It looks like 9.41.060 is in reference to carrying a firearm. The original request was Where to purchase a handgun.

I would seem the answer is: If you are under 21 you can only legaly purchase from a private individual.

Last edited: