• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Regarding guns secured in car on college campus

cbtexan04

Hi all-- first post on these forums.

I'm just about to get married, and I decided to make a major move. I've bought my first gun (though I have shot several times before), taken an online safety course, and applied for my CCP last week.

My question is this: I'm currently a college student over here in Newport News at CNU. Our handbook policy states the following:

Unauthorized possession, storage, or control of firearms and weapons on University property is
prohibited. This includes storage in vehicles on campus as well as in the residence hall. Firearms
include any gun, rifle, pistol, or handgun designed to fire bullets, BB's, pellets, or shot regardless
of the propellant used. Additionally, possession of ammunition that could be used with a
prohibited item is forbidden.

I've been reading up on my rights as a gun owner, and I've found that I CAN keep it in a secured location in my car. However, does my university's policy restrict me from doing this on their campus? Or is it arguable to say that the state of Virginia "authorizes" me to keep it in my vehicle as long as it's in a secured location (which implies that the campus does not make the authorization, but rather the state)?

Thanks in advance for the answers.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate

I'm just about to get married, and I decided to make a major move. I've bought my first gun (though I have shot several times before), taken an online safety course, and applied for my CCP last week.

My question is this: I'm currently a college student over here in Newport News at CNU. Our handbook policy states the following:

I've been reading up on my rights as a gun owner, and I've found that I CAN keep it in a secured location in my car. However, does my university's policy restrict me from doing this on their campus? Or is it arguable to say that the state of Virginia "authorizes" me to keep it in my vehicle as long as it's in a secured location (which implies that the campus does not make the authorization, but rather the state)?

What's a CCP?
Why do you want one?
Did you buy an ugly plastic gun and that's why you want to hide it?

The School can make the rules for students and staff. Break them and you get tossed out!

Last edited:

GDBaum

-snip-

What's a CCP?
Why do you want one?

The School can make the rules for students and staff. Break them and you get tossed out!

I think he's saying he applied for a CHP but is assuming it's called a Concealed Carry Permit (CCP). Of course you could just be poking a bit of fun. It's hard to tell.

Now cbtexan, I'm hardly a legal authority but as best as I've been able to figure from reading up on this site, colleges can impose rules upon their students at their own discretion. Even if they couldn't take you to court (maybe they can, someone more knowledgeable will probably weigh in soon enough), they can impose internal sanctions like expelling you from the college or putting you on academic probation.

Basically, if you want to attend classes there then follow their rules.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Welcome to OCDO cbtex04. While definitely not intended as a slight, your "newness" is shining through. It takes some time and effort to be able accomplish understanding the statutes applicable and the language/terms here. You bearly scratched the surface with that on-line course and there are many pitfalls out there for the ill informed, unwary, not properly prepared.

In VA, that little piece of paper in your wallet is a CHP (concealed handgun permit) - we do not have a CCP.

State agencies, which include state colleges/universities, at not prevented from making their own rules regarding guns and ammunition by § 15.2-915. Control of firearms; applicability to authorities and local governmental agencies, what we commonly call "preemption". It is important to reiterate that this statute refers to local municipalities (city & counties), NOT state agencies - don't let the title of 15.2-915 confuse you. Statute titles have no application in the law in any event. VCDL Citizens Defense League) is trying to fix this - you should consider joining or at least sign up for the free Va-Alerts.

Bottom line is that at this time, the university can and likely would apply serious sanctions against you if you were found to have violated their rule on this for whatever reason/excuse you might have. Zero tolerance in this matter doesn't have to make any sense to jeopardize your academic future.

Hope you stay, learn and become involved. Suggest attending some of the local meet n' greets to talk first hand with some of the local "old hands" - such face-time will give you more in less time that reading hundreds of pages here. Look for scheduled dinners and such at the top of the VA sub-forum.

Best wishes to you - remember knowledge is power. :)

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
-snip-

I think he's saying he applied for a CHP but is assuming it's called a Concealed Carry Permit (CCP). Of course you could just be poking a bit of fun. It's hard to tell.

Now cbtexan, I'm hardly a legal authority but as best as I've been able to figure from reading up on this site, colleges can impose rules upon their students at their own discretion. Even if they couldn't take you to court (maybe they can, someone more knowledgeable will probably weigh in soon enough), they can impose internal sanctions like expelling you from the college or putting you on academic probation.

Basically, if you want to attend classes there then follow their rules.

Just poking fun GD.:lol:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Another welcome to OCDO. Please go to www.vcdl.org and sign up for the VA-ALERT free email newsletter even if you do not decide to join. Check the stickies regularly to learn about meet&greet events in your area. Go meet the folks at the VCDL table at the gun shows. Reserve Monday, Jan. 21, 2013 on your calendar to come to the General Assembly Building in Richmond to join us for Lobby Day.

As everyone else has pretty much said, CNU can impose rules on you that they might not be able to impose on those outside the school "community" *hack, spit!* (I hate that term). They control you by virtue of being able to throw you out of the "community *hack, spit!*. They appear not to have used the Virginia Administrative Code (I believe they are overstepping their legislative grant of authority, but getting anyone else to agree is difficult) in seting up regulations that effect otherwise lawful non-university "community" *hack, spit!* behavior on campus. But I'm not going to mention that, just in case those thought waves get heard by the BoVs and give them ideas.

stay safe.

ProShooter

www.ProactiveShooters.com, Richmond, Va., , USA
:(

, taken an online safety course.....

I hate to say it this way, because I don't mean it to sound nasty, but if you took a real course with a real instructor, you'd know the answer to your question. You need to think more about your training than just a 30 minute online video.

/end of rant

Short answer is, you need to follow the rules of the school if you are a student.

Last edited:

cbtexan04

Thanks for all the replies, even the pokes at me :p

Seems like the best thing to do would be check in my gun with CNU PD (assuming they will hold it). As far as taking further training from an instructor in person, this is definitely a good idea. I've just taken the first steps towards protecting my "soon to be" family-- I'm not by any means saying that I'm where I want to be.

Tess

Founder's Club Member
Another hearty welcome to Virginia and OCDO. And a +1 to "join VCDL (or at least sign up for the VA-ALERT)".

No one has come right out and said it ... CNU could not charge you criminally for having a gun on campus. They can take whatever sanctions they want within their code - up to and including expulsion. THAT record is hard to overcome if you apply elsewhere. CNU might be able to ask for charges of criminal trespass; on that I'm not certain.

Can you park your car just off campus when your firearm is secured inside?

scouser

Seems like the best thing to do would be check in my gun with CNU PD (assuming they will hold it). As far as taking further training from an instructor in person, this is definitely a good idea. I've just taken the first steps towards protecting my "soon to be" family-- I'm not by any means saying that I'm where I want to be.

in order to do that wouldn't you have to 'possess' the firearm on the campus in order to get it to them so they could hold it for you? The mere possession alone is grounds for disciplinary action in the eyes of the university.

I'm not advocating you do anything either illegal or against university policy, but I'd suggest you KYBMS* completely about firearms when anywhere near the campus, other students, faculty & CNU PD. If you draw attention to yourself you'll be targeted by them, say nothing and they won't know anything.

(* = Keep Your Big Mouth Shut)

cbtexan04

in order to do that wouldn't you have to 'possess' the firearm on the campus in order to get it to them so they could hold it for you? The mere possession alone is grounds for disciplinary action in the eyes of the university.

I'm not advocating you do anything either illegal or against university policy, but I'd suggest you KYBMS* completely about firearms when anywhere near the campus, other students, faculty & CNU PD. If you draw attention to yourself you'll be targeted by them, say nothing and they won't know anything.

CNU PD is off campus grounds, and my fiance (who lives in Fredericksburg) is the only one who knows that I've made the purchase. Definitely not going to put myself in a position where I have to worry about who's going to spill the beans.

ProShooter

As far as taking further training from an instructor in person, this is definitely a good idea. I've just taken the first steps towards protecting my "soon to be" family-- I'm not by any means saying that I'm where I want to be.

Good to hear. Keep up the good work. Carrying a gun is a big responsibility and proper training is key.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Not to advertise or suggest that he is carrying in violation of school policy, but we/he/all of us need advocates to promote the change whereby sudents and staff will be able to protect themselves while on campus. Silence on this issue will only guarantee that it will be perpetuated.

Letting one's voice be heard (within bounds of the rules) is a protected right [--That hurt to say it that way--]
Is there a Students For Concealed Carry group on Campus?

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

NOOOOOOO!! A thousand times no!!

Never surrender your handgun to the cops - especially not to the Campus Cops.

First, I'll bet they have no protocol for "holding" it for you - just one for dealing with evidence.

Second, I'll bet that if you told them you had one you wanted them to hold they would snatch you up and get you placed on double-secret probation until you could be expelled. (And not bother to find out if you had it at home and were just trying to find out what the procedures might be.)

If you can get a decent security drawer mounted in your vehicle, you might (that's might) consider looking for an off-campus place to park. Back in the Pre-Cambrian Age I found a house close to my campus that was willing to rent me driveway space for a modest monthly rate. Of course, back then there were still folks who stayed at home and who would in fact keep an eye on my car. But who knows, you might get lucky.

stay safe.

ProShooter

Sounds like you could use one of these for your vehicle......

affiliateBanner2.jpg

Click here for the website - http://www.consolevault.com/?AffId=5

GDBaum

Just poking fun GD.:lol:

And this is why I should probably post before work and classes and not late at night afterwards. The "ugly gun" thing should have been a dead give away.:lol:

Oh what 14 hours of work can do to a person.

VA Big E

I would park on the street not in the parking lots, that way you are parked on a public road. I did this when I attended ODU.

user

Accomplished Advocate
What's a CCP?
...The School can make the rules for students and staff. Break them and you get tossed out!

1. "Chinese Communist Party"

2. Right. That's pretty much the worst that can happen.

3. Answer to original question, in the immortal words of Bill Clinton, "Don't ask, don't tell."

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
1. "Chinese Communist Party"

2. Right. That's pretty much the worst that can happen.

3. Answer to original question, in the immortal words of Bill Clinton, "Don't ask, don't tell."

The OP asked:
However, does my university's policy restrict me from doing this on their campus? Or is it arguable to say that the state of Virginia "authorizes" me to keep it in my vehicle as long as it's in a secured location (which implies that the campus does not make the authorization, but rather the state)?

He deserves an answer, and we owe him and the board an answer that complies with the rules. Other than his follow-up question, he did not inquire about informing the school of his behavior but inquired if he could get around school policy by citing Code of Virginia. The answer to his question must be: "No."

The OP has not asked what might happen if he does violate school policy, although several posters have provided opinions about that. The OP has not asked if he should violate school policy but has received at least tacit encouragement to do so. This is not fair to the OP or to the board.

Had the OP stated that in spite of the advice given he intended to violate school policy and wondered what the best way tp proceed might be, then I can see and support educating him on the 5th Amendment provision against self-incrimination and urging him to apply it should he in fact carry out his proposed behavior.

I think the "more elegant" response would be for him to erase all his discussion about the matter and seek to have the thread deleted.

But the OP has not stated a intent to violate school policy, has he?

stay safe.