Thread: Man arrested after shooting intruders in Fair Oaks

Man arrested after shooting intruders in Fair Oaks

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Cliff hanger. You had me wondering what he was going to be in trouble for, and I expected they were going to charge him because the nice, friendly, forced-entry home invaders were "trying to flee"...

But so far, it seems he is only in trouble for being a felon with a weapon.

Now, it doesn't say some critical details. If the gun belonged to someone else, a felon is allowed to use one for an immediate need, but would probably have to prove how he is otherwise not in possession.

Also, it matters to ME, what his crime was that made him a felon, even though the law won't care.

As for "trying to flee," it sure seems like the second guy should have been long gone by that time.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

A 60-year-old Fair Oaks man took matters into his own hands when he discovered two alleged intruders in his home early Wednesday morning

They make self-defense sound like vigilanteeism! How many reporters in the same situation would have tried to reason with the guys, or even jump out a window?
    And since when are unknown people in your home "alleged" to be intruders?

was disturbed by an unknown man in his home sometime after 2 a.m. Rasmussen drew his handgun and fired at the suspected intruder...
    then found a second intruder standing in the doorway of one of his bedrooms and shot the person before he could flee...
    deputies discovered evidence of forced entry to the Fair Oaks property during a subsequent investigation, and burglary was believed to be the motive
    detectives discovered he was an ex-felon in posession of a firearm
    Sloppy reporting. If he's no longer a felon, had his rights restored, then it's entirely legal for him to have a self-defense tool. If he had been in prison for more than a year and has not has his rights restored, he's still a felon.

Re: Man arrested after shooting intruders in Fair Oaks

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    :Sloppy reporting. If he's no longer a felon, had his rights restored, then it's entirely legal for him to have a self-defense tool. If he had been in prison for more than a year and has not has his rights restored, he's still a felon.
    Or, its good reporting and bad police work.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    These types of reports are so infuriating! Look at the language they use:

A 60-year-old Fair Oaks man took matters into his own hands

Rasmussen drew his handgun and fired at the suspected intruder, hitting the individual at least once before the person was able to escape, said Ramos.

Rasmussen then found a second intruder standing in the doorway of one of his bedrooms and shot the person before he could flee.

The poor burglars, who are just trying to make their own way in this tough economy, were gunned down by the vigilante before they could escape him!!!

AAAARRRRGGGHH!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by twoskinsonemanns; 11-08-2012 at 03:20 PM.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand