• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Man arrested after shooting intruders in Fair Oaks

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Cliff hanger. You had me wondering what he was going to be in trouble for, and I expected they were going to charge him because the nice, friendly, forced-entry home invaders were "trying to flee"...

But so far, it seems he is only in trouble for being a felon with a weapon.

Now, it doesn't say some critical details. If the gun belonged to someone else, a felon is allowed to use one for an immediate need, but would probably have to prove how he is otherwise not in possession.

Also, it matters to ME, what his crime was that made him a felon, even though the law won't care.

As for "trying to flee," it sure seems like the second guy should have been long gone by that time.

MKEgal

A 60-year-old Fair Oaks man took matters into his own hands when he discovered two alleged intruders in his home early Wednesday morning
:banghead:
They make self-defense sound like vigilanteeism! How many reporters in the same situation would have tried to reason with the guys, or even jump out a window?
And since when are unknown people in your home "alleged" to be intruders?

was disturbed by an unknown man in his home sometime after 2 a.m. Rasmussen drew his handgun and fired at the suspected intruder...
then found a second intruder standing in the doorway of one of his bedrooms and shot the person before he could flee...
deputies discovered evidence of forced entry to the Fair Oaks property during a subsequent investigation, and burglary was believed to be the motive

detectives discovered he was an ex-felon in posession of a firearm
Sloppy reporting. If he's no longer a felon, had his rights restored, then it's entirely legal for him to have a self-defense tool. If he had been in prison for more than a year and has not has his rights restored, he's still a felon.

SPOProds

:Sloppy reporting. If he's no longer a felon, had his rights restored, then it's entirely legal for him to have a self-defense tool. If he had been in prison for more than a year and has not has his rights restored, he's still a felon.

Or, its good reporting and bad police work.

twoskinsonemanns

These types of reports are so infuriating! Look at the language they use:

A 60-year-old Fair Oaks man took matters into his own hands

Rasmussen drew his handgun and fired at the suspected intruder, hitting the individual at least once before the person was able to escape, said Ramos.

Rasmussen then found a second intruder standing in the doorway of one of his bedrooms and shot the person before he could flee.

The poor burglars, who are just trying to make their own way in this tough economy, were gunned down by the vigilante before they could escape him!!!

AAAARRRRGGGHH!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Last edited:

Shoobee

Cliff hanger. You had me wondering what he was going to be in trouble for, and I expected they were going to charge him because the nice, friendly, forced-entry home invaders were "trying to flee"...

But so far, it seems he is only in trouble for being a felon with a weapon.

Now, it doesn't say some critical details. If the gun belonged to someone else, a felon is allowed to use one for an immediate need, but would probably have to prove how he is otherwise not in possession.

Also, it matters to ME, what his crime was that made him a felon, even though the law won't care.

As for "trying to flee," it sure seems like the second guy should have been long gone by that time.

These are all great topics for the jury room, if it goes that far.