Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Prices since the election...

Prices since the election...

I'm planning on going out next week to buy 2-3 boxes of ammo, and was just curious if prices have budged any. I noticed last night, gas had dropped a few cents, so it sparked my curiosity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Buy ammo. I went to my local gun shop and they were very busy in the morning, and already sold 5 guns in 3 hours time.
    Last edited by ocholsteroc; 11-08-2012 at 12:12 PM.
    How come a DUI you can get your driver licence back, which it is a privilege. But if commiting a felon, even something non violent like stealing, you are denied your constitutional rights for the rest of your life?
    If you don't support the Second Amendment to the Constitution, what other parts of the Constitution do you reject?
    More restrictions on guns? how about restrictions on chainsaws and knives?

Accomplished Advocate peter nap's Avatar
    Walmart was mighty slim today.
    I went to Greentops this afternoon. They had 3 boxes of 223/5.56 left plus 2 1000 round military cans left.
    I bought 2 and TD bought the last one.

The Obama incentives are starting and I wouldn't look for any deals at the show this weekend. The bottom feeders are out and about.

Re: Prices since the election...

Well on a good note, my boss dropped a box of CCI .45 in my hands. He started to reload, and gave the CCI to me. Never shot it, should be good for plinking though.

I ordered 4,000 rounds online yesterday. All of the websites that I order ammo from have placed alerts on their webpages saying that shipping times are going to be delayed due to overwhelming demand. I'd imagine prices are gonna start going up. I'm interested to see what it's going to be like at the Chantilly gun show next week.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter45 View Post
    I ordered 4,000 rounds online yesterday. All of the websites that I order ammo from have placed alerts on their webpages saying that shipping times are going to be delayed due to overwhelming demand. I'd imagine prices are gonna start going up. I'm interested to see what it's going to be like at the Chantilly gun show next week.
    I have enough cases for everything, enough lead to last the rest of my life, a fair amount of powder but will add more of the basic one's, stock up on primers....then I won't really care.
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-08-2012 at 09:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nap View Post
    I have enough cases for everything, enough lead to last the rest of my life, a fair amount of powder but will add more of the basic one's, stock up on primers....then I won't really care.
    I want to get into re-loading, but it will have to wait till the first of the year.

Got this e-mail from The Armory (Va Beach):

"
    Due to the results of the recentelection, orders for ammunition and related products have increasedexponentially. This has resulted in majority of our products advertised on ourprevious sales flyer email to be sold out. Unfortunately due to supplyand demand has our suppliers and importers have increased their price to us andthis is completely out of our control. Due to this and our increasing backlog,sale prices will revert back to normal price as inventory begins to return tostock.
    We apologize for anyinconveniences and encourage you to check our website on a regular basis tocheck what items are back in stock."

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by DrMark View Post
    Got this e-mail from The Armory (Va Beach):

"
    Due to the results of the recentelection, orders for ammunition and related products have increasedexponentially. This has resulted in majority of our products advertised on ourprevious sales flyer email to be sold out. Unfortunately due to supplyand demand has our suppliers and importers have increased their price to us andthis is completely out of our control. Due to this and our increasing backlog,sale prices will revert back to normal price as inventory begins to return tostock.
    We apologize for anyinconveniences and encourage you to check our website on a regular basis tocheck what items are back in stock."

I ordered 1000 rounds of .40 FMJ from them today. My usual sources do not have everything I need in stock either. I ended up ordering 250 rounds of 12 ga 00 buck from SGAMMO, 200 rounds of 7.62X51 from Buds and the .40 from The Armory. I get a bad, bad feeling out of this. A favorite quote from a great movie Crimson Tide "you don't put on a condom unless you are going to . . . " .

Walmart in Suffolk wasn't to bad...it was decently bare considering. I bought the 2 boxes of Til left, as my thinking, was of that something is better than nothing.

I went to the gunshow today and there was plenty of ammo but the vendors said people were buying record amounts yesterday.

The prices were reasonable but I think that was because they were trying to sell as much as possible and all prices for bulk amounts were about the same.
    I expect prices to go up this week.

I need to buy some more components. Most of my ammo I reload myself.
    It is well that war is so terrible otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    I need to buy some more components. Most of my ammo I reload myself.
    That's a smart move. My guess is primers will be a problem again. Ten or 20 thousand in SP, LP, LR, SR and 209 isn't that expensive and vacume sealed will last indefinitely.

I can and do make back powder and I can make cases if need be, but I can't make primers.

I always have my flintlocks if worse comes to worse.

That's a smart move. My guess is primers will be a problem again. Ten or 20 thousand in SP, LP, LR, SR and 209 isn't that expensive and vacume sealed will last indefinitely.

I can and do make back powder and I can make cases if need be, but I can't make primers.

I always have my flintlocks if worse comes to worse.
    You can make percussion caps with copper sheet and toy gun caps. There used to be a kit available a long time ago.

I have six cap and ball revolvers to use if everything dries up. I regret giving my muzzle loading rifles to my son now. Won't matter if the jack boots come and take it away though.

Good thing about the black powder, I don't think they have any records of them, no 4473 paperwork.
    Last edited by WalkingWolf; 11-11-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

You can make percussion caps with copper sheet and toy gun caps. There used to be a kit available a long time ago.
    Where are you getting caps? Someone asked me about them yesterday and I had to admit that I had not seen any in ages.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    Where are you getting caps? Someone asked me about them yesterday and I had to admit that I had not seen any in ages.

stay safe.
    Well I have not been in the toy dept in ages, maybe they outlawed them.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

They're getting harder to find but still available.

http://www.amazon.com/Parris-912-Pap...s=toy+cap+guns

You can make better percussion caps with mercury fulimate. I've also used it to reload rimfire cartridges.
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-11-2012 at 06:48 PM.

I will not take part in the feeding frenzy, it just drives the prices up. After a bit, prices will settle. Supply and demand. The demand is high, the supply cannot meet it, the price goes up and the shooter loses. It will level off. It may not level off to the prices you saw in july, but they will level off. Act, do not react. Yes, he was reelected. We have had potus of this caliber (if you secret service pukes are reading this it was meant anecdotaly) in the past. Imagine how PO'd Jimmy Carter is right now. He is still the worst president. Do not feed the fire, be patient.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

I also reload for most of my shooting needs. i have started casting my own buckshot and been considering buying bullet molds for my handgun caliber needs. I think I will go ahead and order the molds in the morning.
    If Obama is the answer; how stupid was the question?

My local cvs has a good number of these sitting in their toy section.

Quote Originally Posted by tcmech View Post
    I also reload for most of my shooting needs. i have started casting my own buckshot and been considering buying bullet molds for my handgun caliber needs. I think I will go ahead and order the molds in the morning.
    Even if prices and availability of components don't soar, you won't regret casting. I've been doing it for years and make more suitable bullets for what I do, at almost no cost. Work out a deal with whoever you get tires from to save their wheel weights. I buy them from the scrap yards in 55 gallon barrels.

Also, learn to tell the zinc ones from lead alloy. There is a push by the EPA to replace all lead weights with Zinc so hording now is a good idea.

Even if prices and availability of components don't soar, you won't regret casting. I've been doing it for years and make more suitable bullets for what I do, at almost no cost. Work out a deal with whoever you get tires from to save their wheel weights. I buy them from the scrap yards in 55 gallon barrels.

Also, learn to tell the zinc ones from lead alloy. There is a push by the EPA to replace all lead weights with Zinc so hording now is a good idea.
    Think Zinc will be the "next" lead replacement for ammo?

I really want to get into reloading, what are the best sources for equipment, and what is casting?????

Quote Originally Posted by mpguy View Post
    Think Zinc will be the "next" lead replacement for ammo?

It hasit's uses but a very poor ballistic coefficient. It will sure screw up a pot of lead so keep your emps below 600 degrees and the Zinc will float up.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic View Post
    I really want to get into reloading, what are the best sources for equipment, and what is casting?????
    It depends on what you're going to reload. Rifle, pistol or shotgun and in what quantities.

I have at least ten presses that I use for different things.

For a starter press that will stay with you the rest of your life, I recommend an RCBS Rockchucker or for a little less money and almost as strong, a Lee Cast press.
    Midway is a good place to look but check the sales.
    Get a GOOD set of scales. I like the RCBS 10-10-10

For a beginner Shotgun press, MEC 600 Jr.

If you're going to load a lot of pistol ammo, a Dillon progressive.

Casting is casting your own bullets. After you get god at that look at some swaging equipment so you can make unusual stuff as well as make jacketed bullets easier.

I use .40 cases (The only use I ever found for a 40) to make jackets for my 45/70 STT (shoot through trees) bullets.
    Last edited by peter nap; 11-12-2012 at 11:10 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast