• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Prices since the election...

mpguy

I'm planning on going out next week to buy 2-3 boxes of ammo, and was just curious if prices have budged any. I noticed last night, gas had dropped a few cents, so it sparked my curiosity.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Walmart was mighty slim today.
I went to Greentops this afternoon. They had 3 boxes of 223/5.56 left plus 2 1000 round military cans left.
I bought 2 and TD bought the last one.

The Obama incentives are starting and I wouldn't look for any deals at the show this weekend. The bottom feeders are out and about.

mpguy

Well on a good note, my boss dropped a box of CCI .45 in my hands. He started to reload, and gave the CCI to me. Never shot it, should be good for plinking though.

hunter45

I ordered 4,000 rounds online yesterday. All of the websites that I order ammo from have placed alerts on their webpages saying that shipping times are going to be delayed due to overwhelming demand. I'd imagine prices are gonna start going up. I'm interested to see what it's going to be like at the Chantilly gun show next week.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I ordered 4,000 rounds online yesterday. All of the websites that I order ammo from have placed alerts on their webpages saying that shipping times are going to be delayed due to overwhelming demand. I'd imagine prices are gonna start going up. I'm interested to see what it's going to be like at the Chantilly gun show next week.

I have enough cases for everything, enough lead to last the rest of my life, a fair amount of powder but will add more of the basic one's, stock up on primers....then I won't really care.

Last edited:

mpguy

I have enough cases for everything, enough lead to last the rest of my life, a fair amount of powder but will add more of the basic one's, stock up on primers....then I won't really care.

I want to get into re-loading, but it will have to wait till the first of the year.

DrMark

Lone Star Veteran
Got this e-mail from The Armory (Va Beach):

"
Due to the results of the recentelection, orders for ammunition and related products have increasedexponentially. This has resulted in majority of our products advertised on ourprevious sales flyer email to be sold out. Unfortunately due to supplyand demand has our suppliers and importers have increased their price to us andthis is completely out of our control. Due to this and our increasing backlog,sale prices will revert back to normal price as inventory begins to return tostock.
[FONT=&quot]We apologize for anyinconveniences and encourage you to check our website on a regular basis tocheck what items are back in stock."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]​

half_life1052

Got this e-mail from The Armory (Va Beach):

"
Due to the results of the recentelection, orders for ammunition and related products have increasedexponentially. This has resulted in majority of our products advertised on ourprevious sales flyer email to be sold out. Unfortunately due to supplyand demand has our suppliers and importers have increased their price to us andthis is completely out of our control. Due to this and our increasing backlog,sale prices will revert back to normal price as inventory begins to return tostock.
[FONT=&quot]We apologize for anyinconveniences and encourage you to check our website on a regular basis tocheck what items are back in stock."
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]​

I ordered 1000 rounds of .40 FMJ from them today. My usual sources do not have everything I need in stock either. I ended up ordering 250 rounds of 12 ga 00 buck from SGAMMO, 200 rounds of 7.62X51 from Buds and the .40 from The Armory. I get a bad, bad feeling out of this. A favorite quote from a great movie Crimson Tide "you don't put on a condom unless you are going to . . . " .

mpguy

Walmart in Suffolk wasn't to bad...it was decently bare considering. I bought the 2 boxes of Til left, as my thinking, was of that something is better than nothing.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I went to the gunshow today and there was plenty of ammo but the vendors said people were buying record amounts yesterday.

The prices were reasonable but I think that was because they were trying to sell as much as possible and all prices for bulk amounts were about the same.
I expect prices to go up this week.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
I need to buy some more components. Most of my ammo I reload myself.

That's a smart move. My guess is primers will be a problem again. Ten or 20 thousand in SP, LP, LR, SR and 209 isn't that expensive and vacume sealed will last indefinitely.

I can and do make back powder and I can make cases if need be, but I can't make primers.

I always have my flintlocks if worse comes to worse.:uhoh:

WalkingWolf

That's a smart move. My guess is primers will be a problem again. Ten or 20 thousand in SP, LP, LR, SR and 209 isn't that expensive and vacume sealed will last indefinitely.

I can and do make back powder and I can make cases if need be, but I can't make primers.

I always have my flintlocks if worse comes to worse.:uhoh:

You can make percussion caps with copper sheet and toy gun caps. There used to be a kit available a long time ago.

I have six cap and ball revolvers to use if everything dries up. I regret giving my muzzle loading rifles to my son now. Won't matter if the jack boots come and take it away though.

Good thing about the black powder, I don't think they have any records of them, no 4473 paperwork.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
You can make percussion caps with copper sheet and toy gun caps. There used to be a kit available a long time ago.

Where are you getting caps? Someone asked me about them yesterday and I had to admit that I had not seen any in ages.

stay safe.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
I will not take part in the feeding frenzy, it just drives the prices up. After a bit, prices will settle. Supply and demand. The demand is high, the supply cannot meet it, the price goes up and the shooter loses. It will level off. It may not level off to the prices you saw in july, but they will level off. Act, do not react. Yes, he was reelected. We have had potus of this caliber (if you secret service pukes are reading this it was meant anecdotaly) in the past. Imagine how PO'd Jimmy Carter is right now. He is still the worst president. Do not feed the fire, be patient.

tcmech

I also reload for most of my shooting needs. i have started casting my own buckshot and been considering buying bullet molds for my handgun caliber needs. I think I will go ahead and order the molds in the morning.