• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in MA.

crunchief

I live in MA. As far as I know it's up to the local C.O.P. to issue or deny my application. All of my DUI since 1994 are dismissed, no convictions. 3 restraining orders also dismissed.No other charges. So it's up to the Chief. I passed the handgun training (100% tyvm) I would like to bolster my chances by additional instruction. The instructor also offers handgun retention, I would think that is a variation of close quarters combat, and range shooting. All I want is to be able to own a handgun, I have no need to carry it it around. Is the additional training a good idea , YES I know there is never too much training,to enhance my acceptance or is my record too sullied to ask?At the very least I will get my FID card to own long guns but I'd like to get my carry permit.Would legal advice be appropiate? Any serious input is appriciated

crunchief

I live in MA. As far as I know it's up to the local C.O.P. to issue or deny my application. All of my DUI since 1994 are dismissed, no convictions. 3 restraining orders also dismissed.No other charges. So it's up to the Chief. I passed the handgun training (100% tyvm) I would like to bolster my chances by additional instruction. The instructor also offers handgun retention, I would think that is a variation of close quarters combat, and range shooting. All I want is to be able to own a handgun, I have no need to carry it it around. Is the additional training a good idea , YES I know there is never too much training,to enhance my acceptance or is my record too sullied to ask?At the very least I will get my FID card to own long guns but I'd like to get my carry permit.Would legal advice be appropiate? Any serious input is appriciated

am I in the wrong thread?

thebigsd

Founder's Club Member
Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot?

You're not in the wrong thread per se...but as this is a question that is very specific to the state of MA you may want to post it directly in that state's sub-forum. MA is most definitely not an open carry state so I'm sure how many forum members live there.

On another note you said you just want to own the gun but have no need to carry it. Why not? Do you have one of those nifty invisible force fields that protects you from danger? (Note I say this half in jest and half in all seriousness.)

Last edited:

crunchief

Welcome to OCDO!!! Stick around and you will learn a lot?

You're not in the wrong thread per se...but as this is a question that is very specific to the state of MA you may want to post it directly in that state's sub-forum. MA is most definitely not an open carry state so I'm sure how many forum members live there.

On another note you said you just want to own the gun but have no need to carry it. Why not? Do you have one of those nifty invisible force fields that protects you from danger? (Note I say this half in jest and half in all seriousness.)

my need at 1st is the ability to own one, 2nd is home protection, 3rd the ability to CC if I want to. I'm not a noob and know the area is dangerous, Pittsfield,5 miles, had shootings every week. I'll copy/paste my inquriy in the MA thread thnx