• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

100 days still no license

REDDIRT

I'm starting to get worried I'm not going to get my ccl license my wife did hers on the same day and got hers a month ago.and her paper from Osbi she got 3 weeks after she got her license.i think I did not put down about a few hot checks I had as a kid and my x wife put 2 restraining orders on me then took them off before court that I didn't put on my app should I be worried I'm not going to get it I know they have 114 days in Oklahoma I have 13 days then what ?

okiebryan

Director, Oklahoma Open Carry Association
First things first, call your county sheriff and make sure they don't have it. I know it's supposed to get sent directly to you, but if they finished it before Nov 1, it likely was sent to your county sheriff.

Then if they don't have it, I'd call OSBI... (405) 848-6724 ...and ask to speak to someone in the Handgun Licensing division. Tell them about your wife getting hers, but yours is a no show. See what they tell you.

freeman1126

Yours sounds like mine

I waited and waited along with calling OSBI numerous times. Each time I called I was told the same thing, its being processed. My brother in law filed for her several months after I filed mine and had already received his back. I stll hadnt received mine. Then after almost a year I finally received a letter from OSBI. I was denied because I failed to list one arrest. The arrest I failed to list was dismissed and thrown out of court before I ever went to court, but sin e I failed to list it I was automatically denied. I resubmitted it only listing that arrest and received it within 2 months. Since the arrest was dismissed and thrown out before I ever went to court I didn't think it needed to be listed but I found out differently at great expense.

REDDIRT

Ya I listed all my arrest and speeding tickets i have a buddy that did his the same day I did mine I think wife got hers fast because she had no record mabe one speeding ticket I will try and call tommorow I know they will tell me they got till 114 days hangout intell then

REDDIRT

I'm sure she will get hers first don't look for the mail she got the call from sheriff office then 3 weeks later she got the letter.me and my buddy still nothing tommorow will be 103 days his record was a lot cleaner than mine so I still have hope I didn't forget something stupid on my app .my uncle got his in less than 90 days 3 months back

REDDIRT

Well this is what I found out. After i called osbi today .Your file has been placed in research status due to prior charges that appeared on your record when we received your fingerprint results. It is impossible to predict what the outcome will be. Due to the number of applications waiting for research it could be awhile. The files placed in research are on a "first in, first out" basis and there are quite a number of files needing research that are older than yours. Please know that we are working hard to complete all of these files. If you have any documentation regarding any of the charges found in your background, please forward them to us via FAX, mail, or scan and email them.

Please give us at least 8 to 10 weeks and if you have not heard anything by then, feel free to give an email or call.

Thank you,

Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation - SDA Unit

donsadlerjr

I am wondering how long it is going to take for me to get mine. Turned mine in on 10/13. So almost a month. I know that Sherifs have 14 days to get to OSBI. Then that makes it I guess OSBI Has had it 15 days or so. So guess that is not as bad as I feel it is.

REDDIRT

If you have a very clean record you will get it back soon around 70 days or so wife got hers back 76days.now they send your permit to your house not sheriff so I less thing to go thew.i have been arrested for hot check and unlawful carry in Texas 10 years ago because of that mine made it in the research basket .more likely I won't get mine but wife has hers so I'm always by a pistol traveling anyways

REDDIRT

Oh and I live in Lawton and sheriff office took 20days plus say 5 days mail so now you have 90 days to go mabe could be longer there in no hurry I thought they had only so many days but its what they want and when

Mixael

Actually, the SO has 14 days for their part of the processing...local checks. Then it goes to the OSBI, and THAT is when the time starts. As the SDA states, the OSBI is SUPPOSED to issue within 60 days of recieving the application, unless something shows up that needs more research, in which case they (OSBI) has a total of 90 days. If at the end of that time they do not have the research finished, they are (as per the SDA) required to grant the license, and continue checking. IF, after further processing, they find that the license should not have been issued, it is to be revoked. In any case, the SDA states that the license is to be sent to you via First Class Mail.

Of course, just because the law states it this way doesn't mean the OSBI/SO are actually FOLLOWING the law.

In my case, however, things couldn't have gone better. Turned in the app at the Oklahoma County SO on 9-27. I decided to pay the OSBI fee via my card, and they ran that 14 days later. Today (11-10) I had a letter from the OSBI stating I was approved, and my license was included. I was, however, expecting it to take longer, as they mentioned at the SDA class that the current backlog was taking about 120 days.

Okay, things could have gone better by not even having to apply to carry (Constitutional carry states, I envy you), but given the restraints we have in OK, I think it went well for me.

docachna

excessive issue time

Actually, the SO has 14 days for their part of the processing...local checks. Then it goes to the OSBI, and THAT is when the time starts. As the SDA states, the OSBI is SUPPOSED to issue within 60 days of recieving the application, unless something shows up that needs more research, in which case they (OSBI) has a total of 90 days. If at the end of that time they do not have the research finished, they are (as per the SDA) required to grant the license, and continue checking. IF, after further processing, they find that the license should not have been issued, it is to be revoked. In any case, the SDA states that the license is to be sent to you via First Class Mail.

Of course, just because the law states it this way doesn't mean the OSBI/SO are actually FOLLOWING the law.

So, force their hand !

If your license is not granted within the time specified by statute, and it has not been denied, apparently, OSBI is REQUIRED to issue the license. A registered letter to OSBI, with a copy to the State Attorney General, citing the statute and demanding that they comply with the law and immediately issue your license, should get their attention. If they want to revoke it later for cause, so be it, but the statute says what the statute says.

Citizens are expected to follow the law. Government should be expected to do no less.

Westside

7 months

I'm coming close to 7 months, where in the SDA does it say that they have to issue in 90 days?

hrdware

I'm coming close to 7 months, where in the SDA does it say that they have to issue in 90 days?

Title 21 said:
If the background check set forth in paragraph 11 of this subsection reveals no records pertaining to the applicant, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation shall either issue a handgun license or deny the application within sixty (60) days of the date of receipt of the applicant's completed application and the required information from the sheriff. In all other cases, the Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation shall either issue a handgun license or deny the application within ninety (90) days of the date of the receipt of the applicant's completed application and the required information from the sheriff. The Bureau shall approve an applicant who appears to be in full compliance with the provisions of the Oklahoma Self-Defense Act, if completion of the federal fingerprint search is the only reason for delay of the issuance of the handgun license to that applicant. Upon receipt of the federal fingerprint search information, if the Bureau receives information which precludes the person from having a handgun license, the Bureau shall revoke the handgun license previously issued to the applicant. The Bureau shall deny a license when the applicant fails to properly complete the application form or application process or is determined not to be eligible as specified by the provisions of Section 1290.9, 1290.10 or 1290.11 of this title. The Bureau shall approve an application in all other cases. If an application is denied, the Bureau shall notify the applicant in writing of its decision. The notification shall state the grounds for the denial and inform the applicant of the right to an appeal as may be provided by the provisions of the Administrative Procedures Act. All notices of denial shall be mailed by first class mail to the address of the applicant listed in the application. Within sixty (60) calendar days from the date of mailing a denial of application to an applicant, the applicant shall notify the Bureau in writing of the intent to appeal the decision of denial or the right of the applicant to appeal shall be deemed waived. Any administrative hearing on a denial which may be provided shall be conducted by a hearing examiner appointed by the Bureau. The decision of the hearing examiner shall be a final decision appealable to a district court in accordance with the Administrative Procedures Act. When an application is approved, the Bureau shall issue the license and shall mail the license by first-class mail to the address of the applicant listed in the application.

http://www.oscn.net/applications/oscn/DeliverDocument.asp?CiteID=440212

REDDIRT

Have you email them I did and got 2 emails back that said around the same thing if you have a record it takes longer to investigate each report before the issue the permit is what they told me

hrdware

The problem is there are no teeth in the law so when OSBI takes longer than 90 days, they face no penalties.

I think OK2A may try to get a bill run that will add some penalties to OSBI if they fail to issue a license within the given time frames.

donsadlerjr

I just emailed them for my status.
They Said
" We have received your application on 10/3. Your application is currently still in progress. Normal Processing time for this time of year is running 45 to 60 days. You should have it soon."

So Good to know.

REDDIRT

They have had my for 80days mabe i will have it in the next few weeks I will go crazy if they leave me hanging for another 80 days.

Last edited:

REDDIRT

Well my budddy got his permit today after 113 days and we sent it off on the same day.so I'm thinking in the next few weeks I should know something Dam it's a long time aug.1 is when they were sent off